Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 PM

417 posts, read 816,006 times

Advertisements

Having just moved here from out of state, I know that I need to get a vehicle inspection prior to being able to get my vehicle registration and title.

Here's the part I'm not sure about: can I go just about anywhere to get the inspection done? When I lived in KS, the state did the inspection. On the department of public safety web site, it looks like there's a raft of private companies (oil change places, auto sales and service places, etc.) that will do the inspection. Is that true? Can I choose any one of these?

If so, how long will an inspection take, and how hard is it to pass? Not sure if it takes all day. If it does, then I'm better off at a repair shop that can drop me off at work and pick me up at the end of the day rather than waiting around.

Finally, assuming I pass the inspection, the web site says I have to go to the county tax office to get the registration/title/plates. Is there only one in town? Or are there several offices?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,144 times
Yes, you go to a Valvoline or some other private oil change place and they can do you state inspection. If you get failed due to window tint or something, just go to your car dealer and they'll pass you. This is just another PATHETIC attempt at revenue generation for the state. Yucksters.

As for the vehicle registration offices, yes, there are several in town. Here's a link of locations: Sylvia S. Romo, Tax Assessor-Collector

Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
You can take your car to any one of the number of private auto service places that displays the "Official State Inspection Station" signs in front. The inspection usually only takes a few minutes, and most places do it while you wait, although you may run into a few who act like they can't be bothered, and will ask if you can drop the car off, or ask if you could come back tomorrow, next week, etc. There are a few places around town called "Official Inspection Station", and State Vehicle Inspection is there only business.

The inspection checks things like lights, wipers, horn, tires, brake funtionality, etc.

There is the main Courthouse downtown, and three "satellite" locations, where you can go to get your vehicle registered. The locations are lited in the liknk below:
Sylvia S. Romo, Tax Assessor-Collector

Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,008 times
Inspections take like 10 minutes here. I've lived here 14 years so I can't remember if the first one took longer; I can't imagine that it would.

My 10 year old Tiburon passed last year and it was just this side of hoopty, which leads me to believe that inspections aren't that rigorous.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Inspections take like 10 minutes here. I've lived here 14 years so I can't remember if the first one took longer; I can't imagine that it would.

My 10 year old Tiburon passed last year and it was just this side of hoopty, which leads me to believe that inspections aren't that rigorous.
At Valvoline, they didn't pass me because they said my tint was too dark. It's TEXAS!!! There's no such thing as too dark!

PATHETIC REVENUE GENERATORS! *rants for 10 minutes before cooling off*

Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Uh, Soviet....hate to tell you, but there IS a max tint amount on the front windows. Has been for a number of years. Sorry to bust your rant.....

Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 PM

No worries about the bust, but I now know about the max tint amount. It's not on the front windows, it's on all the other windows! Mine is too dark. Of course, I'm not going to actually take it off. It's already on and people better leave me alone!!!!

How do I get a passed inspection sticker? I go to the dealer.

How do I not deserve having a passed inspection sticker due to dark tint that I was improperly sold on? That's just plain wrong.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,454 times
I go to the dealer too for the inspection sticker. They don't ask so many questions. I didn't know that when I first came to Texas, I thought you had to go to one of those inspection stations, you know, the tacky shady sheds that are always painted red white and blue. They are very questionable, always take your money then they question everything about your car then they fail your car and you have to get the problem fixed and come back etc etc etc.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 PM

Yup! Hooray for the dealer!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM

417 posts, read 816,006 times
Hmmm...guess I'll have to find a Ford dealer around here. Thanks for the responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio