Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I love this option. I just recently read about her. She sounds amazing. Unless you're puro westside, had family members around during that time (and have moved out into the suburbs) or for some reason have studied the movement I doubt you've heard of her and the movements of the early 1900s in SA.
I think that I read about Emma, Maury Maverick and others in the newspaper. She took a lot of heat in her time when it was downright dangerous for a Mexican American to do so. She should get her own street in a newer area of town just like Mr deZavala. Mr deZavala has the last laugh since arguably MANY more drivers see his name than if he had been given a Downtown street by the Anglo power structure of the old days.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:03 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I think that I read about Emma, Maury Maverick and others in the newspaper. She took a lot of heat in her time when it was downright dangerous for a Mexican American to do so. She should get her own street in a newer area of town just like Mr deZavala. Mr deZavala has the last laugh since arguably MANY more drivers see his name than if he had been given a Downtown street by the Anglo power structure of the old days.
Is De Zavala Rd named after a Mr. or a Mrs.? Just curious since Mrs. De Zavala is attributed to saving part of the Alamo as well as owning a stubstantial amount of real estate in the late 1800's-early 1900's. Maybe De Zavala Rd was part of her property. Bequethed her estate to Incarnate Word.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Is De Zavala Rd named after a Mr. or a Mrs.? Just curious since Mrs. De Zavala is attributed to saving part of the Alamo as well as owning a stubstantial amount of real estate in the late 1800's-early 1900's. Maybe De Zavala Rd was part of her property. Bequethed her estate to Incarnate Word.
Good Question. I'll research it.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Quote:
Good Question. I'll research it.
I believe it's Mister. But I could be wrong.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Mr deZavala has the last laugh since arguably MANY more drivers see his name than if he had been given a Downtown street by the Anglo power structure of the old days.
Ouch! You are fearless.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 22,960 times
Default Are you sure is about $$$$

Where were all the protesters when a street was renamed Hardberger Way or when a park was renamed Hardberger Park?

Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM
RGJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyruegas View Post
Where were all the protesters when a street was renamed Hardberger Way or when a park was renamed Hardberger Park?
or what about Bill Miller Lane. Maybe, it's because those guys had something to do with San Antonio?

Old 05-25-2011, 02:24 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Quote:
or what about Bill Miller Lane. Maybe, it's because those guys had something to do with San Antonio?
That comparison doesn't even make sense. How many street signs had to be changed. Two? No freeway signs at all. How many businesses were effected. Again maybe two? That little bar and a resteraunt which was Bill Millers. The street is only a block long.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyruegas View Post
That's a good point. Nobody cared. What were the names of the streets before they were renamed? How much did it cost? Changing the name of Durango is a bigger deal obviously. I'll bet if they would have wanted to change the name of some large Hispanic named street to Hardburger Way you would have seen some resistance. If everybody was fine with it are even had neutral feelings about it then it would be a non issue but I have not seen one poll that was even anywhere near 50/50. More like 90/10. In a city that has a majority of Hispanics that says a lot towards this projects unpopularity.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 PM
RGJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
That comparison doesn't even make sense. How many street signs had to be changed. Two? No freeway signs at all. How many businesses were effected. Again maybe two? That little bar and a resteraunt which was Bill Millers. The street is only a block long.
I know. I was being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio