Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:39 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times

Advertisements

So my friend had a gig in a band at Dixie's Country Bar. We have a great time and have a ton of fun and then decided to go across the street to the Jim's for a good dinner/breakfast at 2:30 AM. We're goofing around and having a total blast & all of a sudden some guy just lunges at some other guy in the corner of my eye. They both run out at full speed.

My friends and I were "WTF?" Turned out some scumbag had just stolen a woman's purse and ran out full-speed towards the neighborhoods by Broadway. The woman's husband got in his car and drove around a little bit, but couldn't find him. SAPD officer took 30 minutes to get there to take down the report. Odds are the purse won't ever be found. Mega sketchy.

It was the first time I'd ever seen a crime happen right in front of my eyes. Ridiculous.

Have you ever seen a crime occur right in front of your eyes in San Antonio and what happened? How did you handle it?

Hope all of y'all are safe and sound and will be now and forever. Take care! Stay safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 05:04 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
One thing I'll say about sapd.. they're consistent with their response times.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
Well the officer did have to finish his breakfast before walking outside to take the report........kidding!!!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 AM

124 posts, read 245,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFL3 View Post
Surprised rd2007 did not yell at you yet for drinking and being out so late since he thinks people that do that are the scum of the earth...

Police have more important things to worry about than petty robbery..

purse snatching..

LOL

When you're in the ghetto(which is what 410/broadway is), then that sort of stuff is expected.
This is "ghetto" to you? You must be very sheltered!

Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
When you're in the ghetto(which is what 410/broadway is), then that sort of stuff is expected.
FWIW, Broadway and the neighborhoods on either side of the street inside 410 are in the 78209 ZIP code/AHISD, including the Jim's where this incident occurred.

I believe there have been a few incidents at some of the night spots along that stretch of Broadway in the last few years. As far as the neighborhoods, I would say it is pretty upscale to the east of Broadway, but to the west, there is some lower-income housing. Again, this is inside 410.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,864 times
Quote:
Surprised rd2007 did not yell at you yet for drinking and being out so late since he thinks people that do that are the scum of the earth...

purse snatching..

LOL

Go to the wizard and ask for a brain......sighhhhhhh

Old 05-20-2011, 07:57 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
One thing I'll say about sapd.. they're consistent with their response times.
The entire incident was over in seconds, and the culprit disappeared just as quick. It is a petty theft so you actually expect a Code III response with guns drawn and the Blue Eagle overhead? I'm sure no matter how the SAPD responded, there would be criticism about it!

Just another good reason people need to being prepared to protect themselves. And I don't mean buying a pistol and going to a range, standing there for 30 seconds aiming at a static piece of paper then bragging about how well you shoot; I am talking about true preparation, to include self-defense courses and if you decide to get a permit to carry a concealed firearm then getting some real training on how to use it in such a situation.

I find many people who think that simply having a gun is enough; but unless you know what your legal rights are in employing deadly force, and the ability to use it if necessary, it would do you about as much good to carry a brick around and throw it at any criminal that attacks you. Anyone who thinks that because they've passed the CHL test (which is embarrassingly easy) and can constantly hit in the innermost rings on a stationary target are ready and able to properly defend themselves in an incident like this will most likely do more harm than good.

In those cases it might just be better to count your losses than to shoot wildly at the purse-snatcher and possibly injuring or even worse killing an innocent bystander!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:

purse snatching..

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
FWIW, Broadway and the neighborhoods on either side of the street inside 410 are in the 78209 ZIP code/AHISD, including the Jim's where this incident occurred.

I believe there have been a few incidents at some of the night spots along that stretch of Broadway in the last few years. As far as the neighborhoods, I would say it is pretty upscale to the east of Broadway, but to the west, there is some lower-income housing. Again, this is inside 410.
I am not sure if JFL3 knows what he is talking about ...

Old 05-20-2011, 09:11 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,732 times
410 & Broadway is considered the "ghetto" ....lol.

The ghetto sure got an upgrade over the years.

Sounds like the rantings of a lunatic.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:55 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
410 & Broadway is considered the "ghetto" ....lol.

The ghetto sure got an upgrade over the years.

Sounds like the rantings of a lunatic.
You got that right regarding the lunatic.
Bad stuff can happen anywhere. Even close to one of my favorites..."Taco Garage". Surprised it actually happened inside a Jim's but hard to be shocked by it. Always good to keep a good sense of situational awareness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio