Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,429,633 times

Advertisements

You don't say you did this, but just as a piece of advice, never agree to, or pay even a portion of a debt they call you about.
If you pay anything it resets the statute of limitations.
Just ask them to stop contacting you by phone, to use mail only and to send you proof of debt, then end the conversation.

P.S. I'm not suggesting that someone not pay a debt that they actually do owe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times
^^^ I am not sure:
In general, the statute of limitations for a negative item to remain on your credit report, such as unpaid credit card debt, is 7 years from the date your account was charged off. Paying off your old delinquent debt, or negotiating a lower payoff, whether all at once or over a period of months, does not add any time to how long it stays on your report.

A collection account remains for 7 years + 180 days from the date the account was delinquent leading up to when it was placed for collection. After that time, it must be removed regardless of when it was paid, or when it was placed for collection.
However, you need to watch for duplicate collection accounts.
http://blog.credit.com/2012/08/credi...double-damage/

Old 04-09-2014, 01:49 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,429,633 times
It looks like it's based on the State.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...e-barred-debts
Quote:
Make a partial payment on the debt. In some states, if you pay any amount on a time-barred debt or even promise to pay, the debt is 'revived.' This means the clock resets and a new statute of limitations period begins. It also often means the collector can sue you to collect the full amount of the debt, which may include additional interest and fees.
If I'm reading correctly, Texas statute of limitations on debts is 4 years and can be reset by a payment.
CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE CHAPTER 16. LIMITATIONS
Quote:
(c) A person must bring suit against his partner for a settlement of partnership accounts, and must bring an action on an open or stated account, or on a mutual and current account concerning the trade of merchandise between merchants or their agents or factors, not later than four years after the day that the cause of action accrues. For purposes of this subsection, the cause of action accrues on the day that the dealings in which the parties were interested together cease.
» Texas Statute Of Limitations on Debt
Quote:
Are there instances in which the statute of limitations can be reset?

Yes. If a debtor makes a payment on an account to the debt collection agency and brings the account back to ‘current’ status, the statute of limitations resets and a new 4 year time frame begins. This gives the debt collection agency the ability to file suit against the debtor for the remainder of the balance due.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 AM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times
^^^ Great find!
This website:
How Long Does Negative Information Stay on My Credit Report?
didn't said that it varies from state to state.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:47 AM

733 posts, read 1,041,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
You don't say you did this, but just as a piece of advice, never agree to, or pay even a portion of a debt they call you about.
If you pay anything it resets the statute of limitations.
Just ask them to stop contacting you by phone, to use mail only and to send you proof of debt, then end the conversation.

P.S. I'm not suggesting that someone not pay a debt that they actually do owe.
the only thing that actually resets the date is making an actual payment or agreeing to a payment plan. if you do, youre screwed. it resets. the thing is, most companies wont start the payment plan until you make the first payment.

bill collectors will flat out lie and say since you contacted them or since you disputed it, it resets. i had a company in florida try that on me. i told them that the 3 reporting agencies must be slacking since i disputed everything on my credit and nothing reset.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
In the last 3 days i have gotten calls from 777...if i answer they hang up..it is to my cellphone and i advised them that the phone does NOT accept phone calls from unknown numbers by a call rejection pre made message on my message reject list. Then less than 5 minutes ago i received another call and rejected same said call..but THIS time i heard a person speaking in Spanish. My advise is CHECK your FICO SCORE regularly with the credit bureau in a month they may have spoofed your phone number and taken out online high dollar interest rate loans USING YOUR information..i had this happen to me 3 years ago..i am still cleaning up the mess made for me by those scammers...they rented a car after cloning information on my phone. Do not keep a "wallet" in your phone for convience when ordering flowers..grocery deliver..pharmacy delivery..ordering from the internet especially if you have synced your information in phome, tablet, computer..etc they have you with one phone call and you may not know it until you try to get credit or purchase something AFTER they have ruined your credit history which only can only take 90 days!! That is the 30, 60, 90 day rule with credit cards and even utilities whichIF you move can cost you big time by the type of deposit required!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio