Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 27,552 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the San Antonio area soon and I am hoping someone can help me. I have never been to your great city nor do I know anyone. I am a divorced mother with a high school age child. I am currently in the medical field. What subdivisions can you recommend for us to move into that is safe and near medical facilities, not necessarily hospitals but physicians offices. I am moving from where I currently live in Oregon because of the outrageous amount of money to buy a house here. I live in Bend and the starting price is over 200,000 and it only buys square footage not acerage! Everyone is smack up against everyone else!
Can anyone tell me about Balcones Heights or Leon Valley? Are there rentals there? Are either of these safe subdivisons? Are there other places you can recommend that are safe, near medical providers, have rentals and a good high school? I appreciate all the help you can send! Thanks!

Last edited by lookn2move50; 08-03-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 02:58 PM

443 posts, read 1,505,608 times
try researching at stone oak area - lots of medical facilities, physician offices, and hospitals, its the next big thing after the SA Medical Center,
plus no doubt one of the nicer areas in the city...

Old 08-03-2007, 03:02 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Baptist hospital (99.9% positive it's them) just opened their new office building off Wiseman yesterday or today. The Westover Hills area is a nice area and more reasonably priced than Stone Oak. This is the city to go to for medical jobs though. There's a LOT of hospitals here..

Old 08-03-2007, 03:52 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
You will be able to pick almost ANYWHERE in this city and live close to some type of Dr office...I recommend that you come here, get temp housing, find the job and where you are going to work and THEN look for a house in that area. It would help with gas, commute and let you sleep in a little later in the morning!

Welcome to SA...think you will like it here.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:13 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Balcones Heights and Leon Valley are cities unto themselves within the city limits of San Antonio. There are several towns that were incorporated and have been surrounded by SA, but remain thier own town or city. It's something that you hardly notice as you go through them unless you live there and know the boundries.
I second that you need to move to SA and get an apartment or short term housing and scope it out for yourself. You can get a 6 month lease in almost any complex.
You will have a job within 3 days of arrival.
SA is such a diverse city with so many different areas and cultures that you need to find what you want for yourself. And it's easy!!!!!!
This city is very friendly, diverse and helpful to newcomers. You will not be alone very long.
I would get a move on and do it soon before all the snow and cold and bad roads hit in October. The rainy season will hit first and alot of roads will be impassable. OH WAIT!!! That's on the roads to get to SA. Once your here, the snow and cold is elsewhere, the rains maybe, maybe not this year.
Don't forget to pack your heavy sweater so you can go strolling on the riverwalk to see the Christmas Lights and New Year celebration too.
As for the schools, San Antonio Independent, Northside and Northeast Independent and Southside Independent all have web sites. Check em out.
There should also be a list of other school districts in the area.
Welcome to San Antonio. It will be a great adventure to discover a new world.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:59 PM

732 posts, read 3,552,587 times
We just moved here from the San Juan Islands of WA state and had many similar questions before finding a home etc. My husband is in the medical field, also... I would recommend using a realtor/property management company to help you find a suitable rental. We had to find a rental property, sight-unseen, before the move and were lucky enough to find a realtor who was willing to go and actually inspect our final home choices to make sure it was suitable for our purposes. We used Barbara Covert at Bradfield properties with our search. She was really great! She helped us zero in on rental properties in our price range and within a reasonable commute. Honestly, you will have a HUGE selection of rental properties to choose from. Get acquainted with the city and decide where you might like to buy/settle after spending 6mos-1year.

This site is really great because everyone is so helpful! You couldn't have found a better resource/support system to help you with your move.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 PM

409 posts, read 1,560,987 times
lookn2move50--
Welcome to San Antonio! I have only been here since June 20 and love it! Never looked back, never regretted the move! Come on down and enjoy your life here!

Old 08-04-2007, 05:03 AM

8 posts, read 25,711 times
you will love SAN ANTONIO! welcome! as one of the posts said, you can find doctor's offices all over the city. like they suggested, get temp housing. there's one really nice apartment complex at I-10 and medical. but it's patchy. make sure you go to the one newer complex right off of I-10 and medical. get a 6 month lease till you figure out what side of town you get your job in. then get a house.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:12 AM

5 posts, read 27,552 times
Thank you all for your help!!!. Wow! I really wasn't expecting this big of a response. I really do look forward to meeting some great new friends and coworkers in SA and I believe it started right here! Thanks!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:35 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Don't forget to keep in touch once you get here and watch for the next meet and greet! It is lots of fun to get together with like minded folks and enjoy a nice evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio