Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 04:30 PM

5 posts, read 9,383 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to SA next month for access to better medical care and education from ELP. My 12 year has CP and epilepsy and communication disorder (uses a device to communicate), so of course there are many professionals he'll need to see. Looking for feedback and recommendations on:

* School District (I've heard good things about NEISD)
Apartments in this school district (handicap friendly and affordable
Would prefer a rental home but on a budget

* Pediatric Neurologist
* Clinic providing OT, SPT, and PT
* Pediatrician
* pediatric orthopedist
* Orthotist (limb braces)
* dentist (with experience with children with disabilities)

Thank you so much!! So excited about the move, there is already so much I'm finding that is currently not offered in ELP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 05:30 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,786 times
NEISD and NISD both have great spec ed/ale type programs. Not sure what cognitive level your child is at but regardless you will be in good shape either way.
As for apartments, or rental homes that's hard to say w/o knowing the price range. Rental homes are plentiful here.
For doctors, have you contacted your insurance to see if they can give you listings of providers for the specialties that you need?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
While there are providers sprinkled around the city, you will find most of them in the Medical Center (NISD) area. Stone Oak (NEISD, 78258) also has attracted many physicians, and has 2 hospitals. The area around Toepperwein Rd (Judson ISD) also has quite a few.

I would contact both NISD and NEISD, and inquire as to the services that they provide. You can then narrow down what schools you would like, and then can look at rentals.

We have used Prescott's Orthotics (locations on San Pedro, Med Center, and Stone Oak) in the past. Pediatric Orthopedic Associates (Med Center) is top notch. Jeffery Warman (Stone Oak) has been recommended to me in the past.

I would recommend locating a primary pediatrician first, and they can certainly help you with referrals. Again, you might want to do this once you narrow down your living "area".

Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 AM

5 posts, read 9,383 times
Thanks good tips! I know I can ask a dr. and insurance, but I was hoping for a 1st hand good experience. And I need to find that pedi to get started--but would like a recommendation for one.

We're leaving a community with the option of 2 neurologists (1 retiring) and if parents spoke to each other, I'm guessing neither of them would be used--not very good bedside manner or progressive attitude-just drugs.

Thanks!!

*Forgot to add max price for rental is $1,000. Of course I'd like to secure something lower than that, but that's the max level. Thank you again!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 AM

592 posts, read 2,024,828 times
Dr David Popp on I-10 best pedi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: