Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:27 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
not hire a felon and possibly avert the tragedy that happened?
Right, no more hiring felons. Society will be much better off with a bunch of unemployed felons running around!

The fact that they met at work is inconsequential, if they had met in a bar and the events unfolded like they did, would you blame the bar? Probably so...

Volatile relationships like this happen all the time, and unfortunately many times with similar endings. The fact that Ashley Furniture was the stage for this particular episode has no bearing on the events that unfolded, and blaming that company for its outcome is simply ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Right, no more hiring felons. Society will be much better off with a bunch of unemployed felons running around!
they did the crime, they can do the time (and accept the consequences of their actions). crap like this is what happens when you hire a felon with a violent past.

send them to rehab, make them do hard, manual labor. we have ditches and fruits that need to be dug and picked!!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
they did the crime, they can do the time (and accept the consequences of their actions). crap like this is what happens when you hire a felon with a violent past.

send them to rehab, make them do hard, manual labor. we have ditches and fruits that need to be dug and picked!!
Convicted felons already lose enough of their rights even after rehabilitation, restricting them to manual labor would be cruel and excessive under our judicial system.

While I am all for being tough on criminals, I also believe that some offenders do learn the error of their ways and should be afforded the right to redeem themselves after they have served their debt to society.

Your solution would give them zero hope of ever achieving a "normal" life, which would most likely result in a greater likelihood of them returning to a life of crime given that they would have so few other options...

Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,479 times
Quote:
Convicted felons already lose enough of their rights even after rehabilitation, restricting them to manual labor would be cruel and excessive under our judicial system.

While I am all for being tough on criminals, I also believe that some offenders do learn the error of their ways and should be afforded the right to redeem themselves after they have served their debt to society.

Your solution would give them zero hope of ever achieving a "normal" life, which would most likely result in a greater likelihood of them returning to a life of crime given that they would have so few other options...
no, they dont and no, its not. put them to work in the fields and other jobs that americans 'dont want' and see what happens.

we simply arent tough enough on felons. kill someone? death, then and there. no wasting tax payer money on appeals. intox manslaughter? thats a hangin. see what im getting at?

Old 05-24-2011, 02:12 PM

418 posts, read 784,434 times
Quote:

For a good number of them a normal life is one that involves crime and so prison for them is like a badge of honor and a revolving door.

They need to be busy, real busy... if only because being busy can be therapeutic with little time to think about criminal activity or learn bad habits from other inmates.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,700 times
see, I have more of a problem with some of the comments made here about sex parties happening inside the store after hours. I was at that Ashley store the day before the murder and tested out a few chairs...now I wonder what I might of sat in. Yuck, yuck, yuck!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
A restraining order won't stop a bullet, nor will a locked glass door stop someone from entering the building.

If he was so intent on killing her, about the only thing that might have saved her was being armed herself.

Unless Ashley Furniture has some regulation against employees carrying at the workplace, it would have given her the best chance of surviving.

But it's all water under the bridge now...

May she rest in peace, and her killer be brought to justice.
Restraining orders are for documentation and for more action to be taken if the harasser continues to harass. Sometimes doing nothing about a situation allows it to escalate. It sounds like there might have been a slow build up to this end. Anyway, she was shot in the back. Maybe she shouldn't have turned her back on him, but she wasn't exactly in a position to defend herself.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:59 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,430 times
Exactly why companies dislike dating. But we are imperfect people and people will do imperfect things.

Truly sad loss of life. My heart goes out to all those involved.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
The policy where I work is to separate any couple that's dating or married and superiors cannot date any subordinates they directly supervise.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 AM

17 posts, read 52,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
see, I have more of a problem with some of the comments made here about sex parties happening inside the store after hours. I was at that Ashley store the day before the murder and tested out a few chairs...now I wonder what I might of sat in. Yuck, yuck, yuck!
It was actually very disturbing to me that this business is run this way, and part of the reason for this post was to share that a seemingly reputable business is operating this way.

All this will come to light as the trial progresses. There is more to the story.

A restraining order made sense to Aileen (the victim) too, one was filed the day prior to her pleas to management for a move to another store.

It may not seem believable (I still have trouble accepting this degree of stupidity) but the person who gave the shooter the weapon was the same manager that did not take Aileen's begging for a transfer seriously. Even more unbelievable is the fact that this manager is still employed there.

I understand that her poor choices put her in this position. And I also know that the shooter was a sociopath who probably needs mental help. But a business that has 1 manager murdered by another manager, who borrowed a hand gun from a third manager (the same who hired the victim, then ingored her requests for a move despite the restraining order)... this is insanity.

And there were no security cameras to boot. How does a multi-million dollar business like Ashley furnature have NOT 1 CAMERA ON THE PREMISES? Some people honestly feel that there is no neglegence there? Give me a break. The Police has to obtain footage from the Gold's Gym next door to prove that the killer fled the scene on foot. It shouldn't be that way.

Now this man is pleading not guilty in his latest trial for a violent crime. There is no eye-witness or footage. If he gets off and hurts someone else (as his record clearly would suggest) the we'll see how we feel about the negligence of this company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio