Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
You are not innocent if you broke the law.

And again, you are convinced you are right and every other possibility is wrong. Until you get past that and realize that more people actually see it another way, all you have is your anger and a lack of understanding why.

Good luck with that. You are very long on passion but you seriously lack an understanding of this issue. There is more to it than "how you feel about it" and you cant see that. Even if you are on the right track or even right to a point.
Yes, there are traffic engineering studies, along with "extenuating circumstances" which are valid in most jurisdictions. There are also legitimate concerns for improper designs in the first place and/or unforeseen events/problems, such as the traction asphalt they installed on the right lane of Huebner Road between 1604 and Blanco due to tons of cars careening off the road & crashing into the wall at the Napa Forest subdivision and into my friend's backyard.

And then there are artificial speed limits that are completely, abhorrently low. You can tell. I can tell. Anyone who's driven normally inside San Antonio city limits can tell. And that creates a mismatch between perception, at least the perception we have become accustomed to in San Antonio city limits & the fake "reality" on Lockhill-Selma. And that is just plain wrong....dare I say, evil?

You may disagree, but having inappropriate speed limits and milking people of their precious time & money (and in this life, time and money ARE precious) when they need not have been milked is borderline evil.

I am aware of many of the factors, if not all of them. And the fact that Lockhill-Selma within Stupid Plaza is slower than DIRECTLY outside of it is not coincidental, I'm sure. There's an obvious reason for it, isn't there? Hmmmmm.

And it's quite wrong. I appreciate the fact that you back me up while letting me know of your opinion. But I want you to know that I will do everything within my power to fight those evil freaks. Anyone asking about the city, I will let them know the truth. That it's a nice place to live, but your guests may have their money stolen from them. Unless, of course, they live in Huntington Station and can permanently avoid the local streets with their requisite predators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
It never ceases to amaze me how some people from other countries think that the Unites States is a free-for-all where you can do whatever you want. They come in here demanding their rights be handed to them on a silver platter or else. We have laws here, plain and simple. If you don't like a certain law, contact your Congressman and let him know how you feel about it, or do whatever needs to be done to possibly change it. That's how we do things here. Adapt.

There is very little respect for our laws anymore...just look at the crap that has emerged here in the last 30 years. We had little to no gang activity, no tagging, drive-by shootings and the like, and we didn't have millions of people living off of welfare for years...if you had to get welfare assistance, it was a necessary, but shameful thing that was temporary until you got another job and got back on your feet. These days it's a way of life for some people...and no, it's not a racial thing.

The attitude from most people coming to this country years ago was so different than now. They couldn't wait to get to work, make something of themselves, and contribute to society. These days, there is no respect....some of these people that come here from another land, act like we owe them something and should cater to them.
Back to the topic...

There are routes to take if you don't like our laws. Instead of bad-mouthing our "punk" police force or our little "moron towns" that you claim are just out to harass you for "revenue generation", go to one of their city council meetings, tell them how you feel, and start a petition or whatever it takes to get the laws changed.
Shavano Park has had that same speed limit for at least 35 years that I know of. I remember very well way back when I was a kid, driving thru there staring at the speedometer and sweating bullets...Leon Valley was the same way...but I didn't have an attitude, and I respected their laws, then and now. Sure, I did some stupid stuff driving when I was a kid, but I paid my dues and grew up. (depends on who you ask )
It makes no difference whatsoever if you think that it is your right to drive over the speed limit because you think your driving skills are so great. I'm sure we are all impressed.

Can't deal with our laws, either go thru the proper channels to possibly change them, or hop on a plane, boat, shipping crate, innertube or however you got here, and go back to wherever it is you came from....we won't shed a tear.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM

And I have no doubt that San Antonio has such roads, as well....I merely haven't had the "pleasure" of driving on them. If they exist and I find out about them, of course I will rail against them, as well.

There is no reason to have inappropriate speed limits. And when there are, it would be nice to let people know why, a la "Bear Crossing Way" or "High Accident Zone" or something of that nature.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 PM

"such as the traction asphalt they installed on the right lane of Huebner Road between 1604 and Blanco due to tons of cars careening off the road & crashing into the wall at the Napa Forest subdivision and into my friend's backyard."

Well why do you think cars are careening off the road and crashing into the wall?? They are driving too fast!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how some people from other countries think that the Unites States is a free-for-all where you can do whatever you want. They come in here demanding their rights be handed to them on a silver platter or else. We have laws here, plain and simple. If you don't like a certain law, contact your Congressman and let him know how you feel about it, or do whatever needs to be done to possibly change it. That's how we do things here. Adapt.

There is very little respect for our laws anymore...just look at the crap that has emerged here in the last 30 years. We had little to no gang activity, no tagging, drive-by shootings and the like, and we didn't have millions of people living off of welfare for years...if you had to get welfare assistance, it was a necessary, but shameful thing that was temporary until you got another job and got back on your feet. These days it's a way of life for some people...and no, it's not a racial thing.

The attitude from most people coming to this country years ago was so different than now. They couldn't wait to get to work, make something of themselves, and contribute to society. These days, there is no respect....some of these people that come here from another land, act like we owe them something and should cater to them.
Back to the topic...

There are routes to take if you don't like our laws. Instead of bad-mouthing our "punk" police force or our little "moron towns" that you claim are just out to harass you for "revenue generation", go to one of their city council meetings, tell them how you feel, and start a petition or whatever it takes to get the laws changed.
Shavano Park has had that same speed limit for at least 35 years that I know of. I remember very well way back when I was a kid, driving thru there staring at the speedometer and sweating bullets...Leon Valley was the same way...but I didn't have an attitude, and I respected their laws, then and now. Sure, I did some stupid stuff driving when I was a kid, but I paid my dues and grew up. (depends on who you ask )
It makes no difference whatsoever if you think that it is your right to drive over the speed limit because you think your driving skills are so great. I'm sure we are all impressed.

Can't deal with our laws, either go thru the proper channels to possibly change them, or hop on a plane, boat, shipping crate, innertube or however you got here, and go back to wherever it is you came from....we won't shed a tear.
It's perfectly fine and perfectly okay to respect the law, with a single, all-encompassing and dare I say IMPORTANT caveat: that it be appropriate.

If someone told you to wear orange every 8 AM on Thursdays and made not following that punishable with a fine, what would you say?

Well, here's something else: you're driving at an appropriate speed for the design and condition of the road & you get fined.

You yourself say this:
Quote:
driving thru there staring at the speedometer and sweating bullets...
What does that tell you? We shouldn't be having to "sweat bullets" when we drive. We need to be comfortable with ourselves, the drivers around us & focus on the road at the appropriate speed, which is, incidentally, often the safest speed. (85th Percentile Rule as evinced by several studies by Michigan DoT and many others that are Googleable)

Again, here's an argument I've said time & again: do you see me railing against San Antonio streets? No, you do not. Because the speed limits are appropriate, plain and simple. I'm sure some aren't, but they are indubitably very few & I certainly haven't seen any.

As speed limits can be too high (Wurzbach Parkway a few years ago) they can be too low as well. And both are wrong. 1 physically worse than the other, 1 fiscally worse than the other. (& absolutely despicable)

You also say that "I think my driving skills are so great". Aside from having the track record to back it up with avoiding several accidents by total morons running red lights & various other shenanigans, yes, I am a great driver. Does this give me the right to break the speed limit? Of course not. But the speed limit needs to be appropriate for me to NOT rant and rave against it. And your argument is moot. Saying that "I think my driving skills are so great" implies that I was exceeding an appropriate speed for the road, which 35 mph certainly is not.

Drive on that road lately? How did you feel? Isn't it just too.....slow? It's a je ne sais quoi, of course, but that doesn't make it invalid. And this wouldn't be too big of a deal if they weren't enforcing it. But they are; and wasting peoples' time & money when it needn't be.

Enforcing an appropriate speed limit: EVERYONE is for that. Enforcing an inappropriate speed limit? Well......do you like it when someone delays you and takes money out of your pocket without your permission, for no reason?

I thought so.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 PM

No, you don't think for me.

You say some of these roads and their posted speed limits are wrong. According to who? You?

Yes I drive on that road frequently, and have been for over 30 years. Even back when I started driving, the speed limit was the same as it is now. That neighborhood back then was very upscale with beautiful homes and still is. If you were a homeowner there, would you want people driving like a bat out of hell thru your neighborhood? Yes, I know increasing the speed 5 more mph won't kill anyone, but your claim of being harassed and being inconvenienced is overblown....it's not that big a deal.

"Sweating bullets" is a metaphor.....you just had to be careful driving thru there..thats all. Not the end of the world, nor is it going to ruin my day to slow down a little.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
No, you don't think for me.

You say some of these roads and their posted speed limits are wrong. According to who? You?

Yes I drive on that road frequently, and have been for over 30 years. Even back when I started driving, the speed limit was the same as it is now. That neighborhood back then was very upscale with beautiful homes and still is. If you were a homeowner there, would you want people driving like a bat out of hell thru your neighborhood? Yes, I know increasing the speed 5 more mph won't kill anyone, but your claim of being harassed and being inconvenienced is overblown....it's not that big a deal.

"Sweating bullets" is a metaphor.....you just had to be careful driving thru there..thats all. Not the end of the world, nor is it going to ruin my day to slow down a little.
Of course it won't ruin anyone's day. But that's the point. We shouldn't have to "slow down a little". We should drive at an appropriate speed for the road.

Again you ask, "According to who? You?" YES, me! As well as the many other people who have stated things about Shavano Park's speed limits. I'm not the only one who realizes it! Yes, it's a je ne sais quoi brought about by years of driving in San Antonio & other places with appropriate speed limits. How do we know they're appropriate? Actually, we don't. It's perception: we've been driving these roads for years and can tell at a glance and with a feel of the road just how fast we should be driving. Some people can't do this innately and they crash, for whatever reason. (there are usually other compounding reasons other than speed)

And the perception when you drive on Lockhill-Selma is that the speed limit is ridiculously low. Again, this wouldn't be a problem if enforcement wasn't so stringent on such a low speed limit.

Heavy enforcement on an appropriate speed limit? GREAT! No problem!
Heavy enforcement on an inappropriate speed limit? If you don't see what's wrong with that, I don't even know where to begin to show you.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 PM

Well, like I said, if you think the speed limit is so wrong for that particlular stretch of road, take steps to change it. People have been wary of places like that for many years, but so far, nothing has changed.
Oh believe me, there are several spots around that don't seem like the speed limit is right for the area. And the reason they enforce them so strongly is because they want people to know they mean business when it comes to safety in their municipality.
Unfortunately, the speed limits are for the masses of people, not just the one. I feel safe myself going faster then the posted speed in a lot of places, but as you have seen im sure, there are a lot of people that shouldn't even be behind a wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio