Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:14 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,622,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Many inner loopers - ie the people at the gathering you were at = many? Watch those generalizations.

No, I don't expect everyone who lives in San Antonio to know every neighborhood. I think that's asking a lot. I do know La Cantera and the Forum, have even been to each a couple of times, and I can't say I know anyone who *doesn't* know where they are more or less, but I wouldn't be shocked. Why is it so important to know where a bunch of chain shops are, shops that for the most part, can be found anywhere in the city? La Cantera is different, more shops that aren't found elsewhere, and was built recently, so I assume more have heard of it, but I think it's a bit sad that a person's character is determined by which chain shops they know or don't know.
I feel like we're both kind of generalizing here because you don't believe that many outter loopers should know about soflo and lavaca and all that. Many of the friends I have and people I am acquainted with that do no frequent the dowtown area still know generally where these areas are.

I was, again, generalizing areas of the city, i.e. La Cantera and the Forum. Should I have been more specific and said, I expect everyone to know where westcreek and Rogers Ranch is? Or Las Palmas or Palo Alto is? That wasn't what I was saying. A general knowledge makes a person better is all I was saying. If you feel that being in the bubble of SoFlo is fine then cool. I won't fault anyone for that, it's opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,530,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I feel like we're both kind of generalizing here because you don't believe that many outter loopers should know about soflo and lavaca and all that. Many of the friends I have and people I am acquainted with that do no frequent the dowtown area still know generally where these areas are. .
Not expecting them to and assuming they're all so ignorant/snobbish that they don't are two different things. I don't expect anyone to know all 400 sq mi of San Antonio, except for a few key places that are very significant to San Antonio, like the Alamo. I'm not claiming they don't, I just don't think it's important that they know where all my local hangouts are if they have no reason to go to them.

I do think it's arrogant for anyone to claim that their *one* experience with a very small group of people is the ultimate indicator for all people in a given area.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,318,224 times
uppity people living in SA are a joke. If you actually deserve to be that uppity, you really should be living somewhere nice...

that would be what I'd tell these fools

Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,333,470 times
and the winner for the silliest conversation of the year goes to....

Old 05-30-2011, 09:09 AM

231 posts, read 812,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
uppity people living in SA are a joke. If you actually deserve to be that uppity, you really should be living somewhere nice...

that would be what I'd tell these fools
I completely agree. I am a recent transplant who has lived in affluent areas on the west coast, the attitudes that some people have according to this thread from one person's experience would make me laugh. San Antonio is a laid back city.

If you think your hot stuff then you should at least move to the larger cities in TX and see how you compare (nothing against SA). If you really really think your hot stuff them move to CA or NYC and see how you do. Certain attitudes do not belong in this city.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 AM

13 posts, read 29,480 times
If I had the chance, I would build a double-wide right in the middle of AH. BBQ right in the front yard, sipping back some lone stars. Play some country music 3 times louder than I need to. Now that's the life! Yeehaw!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,615,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion81 View Post
If I had the chance, I would build a double-wide right in the middle of AH. BBQ right in the front yard, sipping back some lone stars. Play some country music 3 times louder than I need to. Now that's the life! Yeehaw!
you would be ran out of this neighborhood before the first month was up on your rental trailor.

/IF you could even get approval to put one of those ghetto things in AH...

Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 AM

13 posts, read 29,480 times
Dextercat, obvioulsy you can't recognize sarcasm It was a joke. geez people

Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,615,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion81 View Post
Dextercat, obvioulsy you can't recognize sarcasm It was a joke. geez people
sarcasm is hard to convey in text

/especially with the way this thread has evolved.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:57 AM

993 posts, read 2,484,253 times
Dexter what do you drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio