Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
If it must be in San Antonio, then B&B Smokehouse off pleasanton rd. Simply the best local SA BBQ.
Too sweet! Like eating candied Brisket! Hal's was better. I think Augie's is decent. Prefer making my own since nobody does it better. Actually if B&B's would tone down that sweetness they aren't bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Too sweet! Like eating candied Brisket! Hal's was better. I think Augie's is decent. Prefer making my own since nobody does it better. Actually if B&B's would tone down that sweetness they aren't bad.
I always asked for the BBQ sauce on the side when I get my po' boy sandwich there. The sauce is little sweet but I don't feel the brisket meat itself is too sweet. To each, his own.

San Antonio doesn't have much to offer in terms of BBQ. The joints that do become popular tend to go downhill like Rudy's. I used to like Rudy's but it just no longer compares to real BBQ anymore sadly.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Just remember, if you need BBQ sauce then it's not real Tex BBQ. Just a little rub, but no sauce.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,731,735 times
Try the Smokehouse on Rigsby. I've had pretty good Q at Two Bros on West Ave. Cooper's from Llano opened a branch in New Braunfels a couple of years ago. It's pretty good.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuftr View Post
Alright...

I've officially been in San Antonio for 1 year! I guess that means I'm a "Texan" now. (No, I'm not going to start calling pop, "soda" or What-a-burger, "Waterburger"). Regardless, one of my friends suggested we go get some "Texas Barbeque" as a 1 year anniversary. Any ideas?

TIA
You've been in Texas a whole year and haven't learned how to BBQ yet? Don't you know that's a prerequisite for being a Texan. I feel the same way about BBQ places as I do Steak Houses. They are OK if I don't have time to do it myself but I can do a whole lot better than they can. Of course, I don't have to worry about making a profit or having a variety of everything so it's really not a fair comparison. I don't spend much time in BBQ restaurants but I have had some decent Q at BBQ Station, The Smoke House (not as good as it used to be but they cook it right there of real pits). I've heard good things about that place on Pleasanton Road but have never been there. One place that never gets mentioned is Snogas BBQ on Goliad Road. Good Bar BQ and a great selection of sides. And if someone in your group is not in the mood for BBQ they have other stuff also. Harmons Bar BQ in Cibolo is good. The places Blizzrd mentioned are places I've wanted to try. There are some good places in Taylor Texas also. One of the oldests is the Taylor Cafe. It's a Tiny little out of the way place but it's good. Also in Taylor are Rudy Mikeskas BBQ and Louie Mueller BBQ. Louie Mueller is really not Texas Style Q, it's pretty much a Carolina's type of style. But the bottom line is if you really want to have good BBQ you need to get yourself a good pit with an offset firebox and start learning how to cook it yourself. Don't forget, half of a good BBQ is cooking good sides. Potato Salad, pinto beans, cole slaw, grilled stuffed Jalapeno's..........It's only 9 am and now I'm hungry.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:09 AM

291 posts, read 607,762 times
Texas Pride BBQ on I-10 East and 1604. Greatest local brisket IMO. If you want better you have to go outside SA

Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apal View Post
Texas Pride BBQ on I-10 East and 1604. Greatest local brisket IMO. If you want better you have to go outside SA
IMO Texas Pride is a great place to go, meet with friends, hear some music and have a few beers on a nice night but BBQ seems to have taken a back seat to building a giant music venue and antique emporium. I rarley eat there when I go. If you think they have they best brisket in SA I respect that, everybody has there own taste buds. I just think they are way prouder of there BBQ than they should be. He has built one heck of a business over the years though. I'll hand him that.

Here are some some good vids for BBQ in Taylor Texas.
http://vimeo.com/1614136
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_30Ne8q64k

Last edited by SnappyBob; 06-01-2011 at 08:46 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 AM

246 posts, read 433,390 times
San Antonio is a BBQ wasteland. The only one I could endorse is BBQ Station. It is passable.

Ditto to others who recommend Lockhart, Lulling, Taylor.

If you want the best go to Austin and have some of Aaron's brisket at Franklin Barbeque. It is the only 6 star BBQ joint in the state. It is heaven on earth.

See the following blog for ratings. He has always been spot on.
Full Custom Gospel BBQ

Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I'll add votes for the previously mentioned places Two Bros. and Augie's.

Grady's is just OK, but they have many locations. I've been disappointed by flavorless meat there a few times.

Surprised no one mentioned Bill Miller's. The only items from there I really like are the chicken sandwiches and the green beans. My family doesn't like anything from there.

I was underwhelmed by the sides at BBQ Station and the meat was just OK.

I don't get to Rudy's very often because it's not convenient to where I live. Surprised to hear the multiple opinions that it has gone down hill. My only visit in the last couple of years was to their location in Temple about 6 months ago and it was as good as I had remembered.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:02 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Any mention?

Any mention of wood smoked brisket has to include Bill Millers. The
wood for use isn't imported from out of state or anything like that
and you don't have to drive all over the state to find it and it is good
regardless of expert testimony to the contrary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuftr View Post
Alright...

I've officially been in San Antonio for 1 year! I guess that means I'm a "Texan" now. (No, I'm not going to start calling pop, "soda" or What-a-burger, "Waterburger"). Regardless, one of my friends suggested we go get some "Texas Barbeque" as a 1 year anniversary. Any ideas?

TIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio