Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM

26 posts, read 43,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Worrying and prrsuing political rights
makes things more difficult for these public servants.
<snip>
This is real life for them, not some sort of fictional Orwellian scenario.
So I shouldn't pursue political rights to privacy that they are there to uphold and occasionally protect on my behalf? I'm lost here...last I checked, people who don't exercise their rights lose them.

Hell, most people in this town don't know where their rights begin or end at all...how can they demand that those rights be respected if they don't even know what they are?

You made it a point to entitle your post 'nothing to hide', and I can assure you, I have nothing to hide either, and yet at the same time, that doesn't mean to prove it I must bare everything that I am for someone else's scrutiny. It's demeaning, it's criminal, and no one should have to put up with being punished for demanding that someone representing the law itself respect their rights. That's ****ing ridiculous.

Yes, it makes it more difficult for public servants, but they knew the difficulties when they signed up for the job. If they are vindictive or angered by people who actually know the law, people who won't let them abuse or misuse their authority, maybe they're in the wrong line of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM

108 posts, read 241,445 times
One day my wife and I were at home and I noticed a lady pull in front of my driveway blocking my vehicle and I thought she was probably looking for someone and thought they lived at my home. Twenty minutes went by then a San Antonio Police officer showed up then came to my door I asked what the problem was and he asked If he could see my drivers license and asked If owned the car in the driveway,I said yes and what was the problem. He said for me to stay inside and he would get back to me. He returned and said that the lady in the car reported that we hit her suburban from behind and drove off and she followed my wife to this house. I said my wife and I were at home all this time and that the car was backed into the driveway (who would take the time to do this ?). I asked If the woman can look at my wife and see that it isn't the person she claims it to be,he said no you and your wife stay inside and he had me fill out a form with my insurance information then he gave me the other drivers information. I called USAA and told them what happened and they said they wanted the officers badge number and the woman's information so they could call her. I drive a 2008 Lexus IS 250 so If I hit a suburban from behind my car would be totaled. The repair shop agent looked at both cars and told me that I shouldn't even be here and that policeman should have known better. Luckily my brother was dating a detective from the San Antonio Police I.A. division and she said she would look into it and take the necessary action. She beleived the officer handled the situation the wrong way and appologized.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:41 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Nice ending, but why didn't they just look at the Lexus? or even mention what type of car they were looking for? I know a lot of people aren't good at getting the exact year and model, but red truck would've easily shown that your white IS was definitely not the droids they were looking for..

and I've noticed that incompetence on the part of the police department is a common topic in this and other threads. It's like that one person everyone works for, the slow one that just doesn't perform at a comparable level with the others. People don't trust that person and for a very good reason...

Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default Nah, Power doesn't corrupt,

Power reveals. Not my quote. Robert Caro's.
Ethical or unethical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What people don't get when they ask "Why do you hate the cops so much?!" is that we don't hate them. We just strongly disapprove of behavior that is obviously immoral. It's really ironic that cops are the arbiters of justice and yet look what they do. It's like a cosmic joke of sorts.

And while not all cops do things of this unsavory nature, the truth is that it's many, many more than should be. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Especially when you're told by your boss to revenue generate.

There are good cops, obviously, they're out there. It's only that the situations involving the bad cops end up being the ones most loudly announced.

However, we didn't do it to the cops: the cops did it to themselves by virtue of their behavior. Notice the poll's currently 62/38, pretty much. There's a reason for it, pure and simple.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default Rights and SAPD,

Stand up fer yer rights. Call Warshington.
But, when out in traffic or flying out of an airport more scrutiny will be applied.Liberty is not license. Many take it for such.
I am not embarrassed by anything I reveal so I am not demeaned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypants View Post
So I shouldn't pursue political rights to privacy that they are there to uphold and occasionally protect on my behalf? I'm lost here...last I checked, people who don't exercise their rights lose them.

Hell, most people in this town don't know where their rights begin or end at all...how can they demand that those rights be respected if they don't even know what they are?

You made it a point to entitle your post 'nothing to hide', and I can assure you, I have nothing to hide either, and yet at the same time, that doesn't mean to prove it I must bare everything that I am for someone else's scrutiny. It's demeaning, it's criminal, and no one should have to put up with being punished for demanding that someone representing the law itself respect their rights. That's ****ing ridiculous.

Yes, it makes it more difficult for public servants, but they knew the difficulties when they signed up for the job. If they are vindictive or angered by people who actually know the law, people who won't let them abuse or misuse their authority, maybe they're in the wrong line of work.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 AM

108 posts, read 196,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Well I'm sure you have your reasons for feeling the way you do. Most people who are anti-authoritarian have no good reason except that they have tats on their neck and think they should be able to do whatever they want to do with no consequence.
I'm anti-authoritarian because I'm a responsible citizen who knows right from wrong, I need not acquiesce to those with lesser ethics and morals than I.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Stand up fer yer rights. Call Warshington.
But, when out in traffic or flying out of an airport more scrutiny will be applied.Liberty is not license. Many take it for such.
I am not embarrassed by anything I reveal so I am not demeaned.
Liberty is not license, huh? Liberty is an inherent right of responsible persons, whereas licenses were created to protect ignorant persons from those whom are immoral and/or unethical. However, a law enforcement officer license was created to absolve personal liability for those performing duties of the state, effectively granting absolute liberty (immunity), consequently it is an individuals responsibility to assert their liberty from the state.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Btw, as to the police driving recklessly, during the performance of their official duties they are legally exempt from obeying traffic laws. Since they are above the law, technically they are not abusing their power, though they may be in violation of police department driving regulations. It would be nice if they tried to set an example when not respondng to police service calls.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novistana View Post
Btw, as to the police driving recklessly, during the performance of their official duties they are legally exempt from obeying traffic laws. Since they are above the law, technically they are not abusing their power, though they may be in violation of police department driving regulations. It would be nice if they tried to set an example when not respondng to police service calls.
Saying the police is "above the law" is a bit vague.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:53 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Don't trust them at all, but that's all police. I will say that dealing with police in a larger city beats dealing with small town cops for the most part... since the small town ones usually have less to do and more interest in "finding" someone to mess with.

I have had both good and bad experiences with SAPD. However, I don't even bother calling them when someone steals my stuff. Pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio