Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Today's Groupon is $10 for $20 worth of food at Fox and Hound. Just in case anyone wants to help them with their stiff penalty.
I saw that, too. I figured the managers would like to attract some food business, so that the place can make some money off of customers who don't need to have their 4th round of drinks approved and documented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 03:40 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times
Personal responsibility is the obvious choice, but how can you force it on people like your average SA resident? Unless you've never lived anywhere else, it should be obvious that personal responsibility isn't a word most people are familiar with around here. It's all about looking out for yourself here and screw the rest. Yes, I know there are a couple exceptions, but I'm just talking majority of the people here. You can't fix stupid, so what's the next step?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,696,403 times
This is all about TABC now trying to act like they are doing their jobs after all the recent DWI deaths in SA. I am sure F&H will file bankruptcy and then open up as another bar with no rules.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,487,510 times
If you lost power on the west side yesterday, blame a drunk driver.

KABB Fox San Antonio :: Top Stories - Suspected Drunk Driver Blamed for Power Outage

Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,005,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Personal responsibility is the obvious choice, but how can you force it on people like your average SA resident? Unless you've never lived anywhere else, it should be obvious that personal responsibility isn't a word most people are familiar with around here. It's all about looking out for yourself here and screw the rest. Yes, I know there are a couple exceptions, but I'm just talking majority of the people here. You can't fix stupid, so what's the next step?
Sure, because this kind of stuff only happens in San Antonio!

I have lived and been to "anywhere else," and I saw the same things occur not only in this country but many others. It is nothing unique to this city, and acting like it is is ridiculous! We've had vehicles scraped and damaged in parking lots, things stolen and other occurrences everywhere we’ve lived...

Old 06-14-2011, 09:05 AM

yep, SA is just like any other city. You find this trash everywhere. There is nothing unique about this place at all.

I need to find this specialty store that sells these glasses...

Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
yep, SA is just like any other city. You find this trash everywhere. There is nothing unique about this place at all.

I need to find this specialty store that sells these glasses...
We've discussed crime statistics ad nauseum on here, so if anyone's looking through tinted lenses it's those who refuse to accept that things are not as bad in this city as compared to most others of its size or larger.

Take a look at some of the major cities in your beloved Michigan, I doubt you'll find things any better there. If anything, they're far worse. In 2009, Detroit was the worst offender on Forbe's list of America's most dangerous cities (based on the most recent FBI uniform crime report), thanks to a staggering rate of 1,220 violent crimes committed per 100,000 people!

But based on your glowing reviews, it appears you've already got a pretty thick set of rose-colored glasses on!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM

But look at who the violent crimes impact. In Detroit, there are areas you don't go to and it's really obvious too, so you don't have to ask anyone where they are. If you're there, you're going to be hurt. Otherwise, the bad people tend to kill other bad people; no loss! Here you can get it anywhere at any time. Irresponsible drunks will be glad to kill you on any street at any time of the day and then you've got your birthday party/bar hopping/whatever celebration stabbings and shootings. That crap doesn't happen in other cities. These people constantly stab and shoot people for little to no reason other than the fact that they're DRUNK and they can't handle alcohol. It's also very common to stab and shoot relatives. That's freaking insanity in any other city in the US. Completely unacceptable behavior by any civilized society. Here, it's practically celebrated and obviously well defended...
Trying to keep this a little on topic, which is obviously pretty hard for some...

Old 06-14-2011, 12:44 PM

I do look at the impact, which is why I disagree with your comments!

For one, the majority of San Antonio is safe from violent crime; and the crap you are describing of stabbings and shootings are relatively minor in comparison to most cities of its size.

Secondly, those incidents here are also usually isolated and occur in the same manner as they do everywhere else, late night at bars or while partying. Usually drugs are involved.

We all get that you don’t like it here, but the facts and statistics prove SA is a realtively safe city. Crime per capita here is lower on average for a city in Texas of this size, and violent crime rates are even lower. These numbers are from last year...

Quote:
According to the FBI's numbers, the number of violent crimes in the city fell from 9,699 in 2008 to 7,844 in 2009, with murders dropping from 116 to 99. Robberies, aggravated assaults and property crimes also showed significant decreases. Burglaries dropped by nearly 800 incidents, but remained higher than 2007 levels. (Source (http://www.ksat.com/news/23663101/detail.html - broken link))
As for drunk drivers, they are a problem everywhere; and despite the number of occurrences SA has had and a few high-profile incidents, San Antonio didn’t even make the Top Ten Cities for Drunk Drivers list from last September.

Don’t get me wrong, even one DUI is too many; but such claims that crime and drunk driving are rampant in San Antonio and more so than other large cities are unfounded and simply incorrect.

But to get back to the topic, such measures are never going to lead to a decrease in DUI occurrences. DUI checkpoints aren’t the solution either. As stated numerous times before, what is needed to reverse the trend of light court sentences for first-time and more importantly subsequent offenders. The laws are on the books, the police out arresting people but it is the judges who are failing us all in eradicating this social dilemma.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:38 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,395,711 times
Default Disagreement?

People need to be cutoff at bars when they get s---faced drunk and
before heading for the exit door. Excyuse me, way over-innebriated, is the term I was searching for.
I do not believe stiffer sentencing would be a deterrent to a drunk at all.
After having downed enough booze, they will do what they want to do
and think not at all about the consequences of it.
Responsible tavern owners sometimes do this already.
Why, one fellow I knew, Carlos, spent so much money at the local tavern
every night and had so many DWI's racked up-that the owner, out of either concern or greed would transport the fellow back and forth from the lounge every night at his own expense. Eventually Carlos very nearly died from Alchohol poisoning at home one night and is now a confirmed teetotaler.
What a guy, this bar owner was !

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I do look at the impact, which is why I disagree with your comments!

For one, the majority of San Antonio is safe from violent crime; and the crap you are describing of stabbings and shootings are relatively minor in comparison to most cities of its size.

Secondly, those incidents here are also usually isolated and occur in the same manner as they do everywhere else, late night at bars or while partying. Usually drugs are involved.

We all get that you don’t like it here, but the facts and statistics prove SA is a realtively safe city. Crime per capita here is lower on average for a city in Texas of this size, and violent crime rates are even lower. These numbers are from last year...

As for drunk drivers, they are a problem everywhere; and despite the number of occurrences SA has had and a few high-profile incidents, San Antonio didn’t even make the Top Ten Cities for Drunk Drivers list from last September.

Don’t get me wrong, even one DUI is too many; but such claims that crime and drunk driving are rampant in San Antonio and more so than other large cities are unfounded and simply incorrect.

But to get back to the topic, such measures are never going to lead to a decrease in DUI occurrences. DUI checkpoints aren’t the solution either. As stated numerous times before, what is needed to reverse the trend of light court sentences for first-time and more importantly subsequent offenders. The laws are on the books, the police out arresting people but it is the judges who are failing us all in eradicating this social dilemma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio