Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM

948 posts, read 1,841,405 times

Advertisements

Ding How and Sun Sun - Chinese
Thai Chili, Thai Bistro and Asia Kitchen - Thai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 05:59 PM

95 posts, read 210,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Just so we are PC here, the term is "asian food".

Not that I ever try to be PC... But I haven't heard the term Oriental food since like '91! Thats awesome! LOL

Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,541 times
Somebody here owes me $10.28! I just stopped in CHINA HARBOR on Walzem for the first time since they opened, I didn't like them them. Some of the positive posts on this thread inspired me to try it again, I was actually a little excited, a good large buffet is hard to find, esp close to home, but it was a terrible experience. The food was either tasteless or tasted bad, much of it was stone cold. I don't expect much from "super buffets" but I can usually find a few dishes I like, not tonight. Even the rice and noodles were awful! I even tried many things I usually pass on, still nothing was really edible. The only thing that I liked a little were the shelled mussels, which were cooked in a salty onion broth, they were ok but you can't make a whole meal of them. Even my water tasted bad, with a strong metal oder. To top it off, my server never came to give me refills, even when I looked right at him and raised my hand! I actually went to the station and filled my own, and he still wouldn't check on me. I did two things tonight I havent done in a restaurant as long as I can remember, spit food into my napkin (3 times!) rather than have it in my mouth a moment longer, and leave a penny tip on the table (tail side up). To top it all, when I paid the cashier asked if everything was good and I politely said "No, my food wasn't very good", to which she said "Hokay, thank you"! I was flabbergasted and then said "the service was terrible too" which was met with another "Hokay thank you"! I quickly left as I could feel a rage coming on. I actively hate that place now, and will prob rant about it forever to anyone that will listen. I would advise anybody that likes to go there to try the nearby ASIA BUFFET on Austin Highway instead, it's not very good either, but it's worlds better than CH.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 PM

95 posts, read 210,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Somebody here owes me $10.28! I just stopped in CHINA HARBOR on Walzem for the first time since they opened, I didn't like them them. Some of the positive posts on this thread inspired me to try it again, I was actually a little excited, a good large buffet is hard to find, esp close to home, but it was a terrible experience. The food was either tasteless or tasted bad, much of it was stone cold. I don't expect much from "super buffets" but I can usually find a few dishes I like, not tonight. Even the rice and noodles were awful! I even tried many things I usually pass on, still nothing was really edible. The only thing that I liked a little were the shelled mussels, which were cooked in a salty onion broth, they were ok but you can't make a whole meal of them. Even my water tasted bad, with a strong metal oder. To top it off, my server never came to give me refills, even when I looked right at him and raised my hand! I actually went to the station and filled my own, and he still wouldn't check on me. I did two things tonight I havent done in a restaurant as long as I can remember, spit food into my napkin (3 times!) rather than have it in my mouth a moment longer, and leave a penny tip on the table (tail side up). To top it all, when I paid the cashier asked if everything was good and I politely said "No, my food wasn't very good", to which she said "Hokay, thank you"! I was flabbergasted and then said "the service was terrible too" which was met with another "Hokay thank you"! I quickly left as I could feel a rage coming on. I actively hate that place now, and will prob rant about it forever to anyone that will listen. I would advise anybody that likes to go there to try the nearby ASIA BUFFET on Austin Highway instead, it's not very good either, but it's worlds better than CH.
Well, unfortunately, oriental food is not SA's specialty. There are a lot of places I have been to and never returned. But I have also found some gems. here are my suggestions for the oriental or asain experience.

Chinese - Golden Wok
Thai - Thai Corner
Vietnamese - Pho Thien An
Korean - Koreana Restaurant
Sushi - Wasabi
Mongolian - Hu Hot
Indian - India Palace
Fast food - PeiWei

There are no good Japanese places here. Avoid Benihana!

Avoid everything that isnt on the list above.... regardless of what others tell you...

Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I haven't been to China Harbor in a year or two, but when I did go there, there was always someone coming by asking me if I wanted more to drink. I don't understand the obsession with China Sea. I have eaten at the one on Thousand Oaks several times because I drove a bus and I had a 30 min. layover period at Naco Pass. Everything tastes the same; there are hardly any options either. Most Chinese restaurants tend to go downhill as the years pass, but China Sea has always been nasty IMO. I haven't tried Asia Buffet. I have a fear of trying new buffets and Mexican restaurants due to their penchant for health code violations.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,025,676 times
I really like Ilsong Garden for Korean food. It's pretty authentic, too! Delicious!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrethegiant View Post
Well, unfortunately, oriental food is not SA's specialty. There are a lot of places I have been to and never returned. But I have also found some gems. here are my suggestions for the oriental or asain experience.

Chinese - Golden Wok
Thai - Thai Corner
Sushi - Wasabi
Mongolian - Hu Hot
Indian - India Palace
Fast food - PeiWei

Avoid everything that isnt on the list above.... regardless of what others tell you...
I just want y'all to know: Hu Hot is as Mongolian as San Antonio is a Northeastern City. There is NO legitimate Mongolian food in Texas, I'm sure, there's just not that many Mongolians out here. As for what Mongolians actually eat, they eat a lot of horse and lamb. To an extent, the food is slightly influenced by Russian cuisine, as well.

Just letting y'all know so you don't think Hu Hot is Mongolian food. LOL.

edit: And thanks for the info on Koreana Restaurant! I'm gonna have to check it out and compare it to Ilsong Garden!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,625,290 times
Favorite Hung Fong: Hung Fong Chinese Restaurant :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrethegiant View Post

Chinese - Golden Wok
Thai - Thai Corner
Sushi - Wasabi
Mongolian - Hu Hot
Indian - India Palace
Fast food - PeiWei

Thai corner? Bleh. Overpriced and terrible Thai food.

As for Japanese, many of the Japanese folks I work with consider Nikki's Tokyo Inn the best in SA with Sushi Zushi being second.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Thai corner? Bleh. Overpriced and terrible Thai food.

As for Japanese, many of the Japanese folks I work with consider Nikki's Tokyo Inn the best in SA with Sushi Zushi being second.
What about Godai Sushi on West Avenue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio