U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2006, 08:51 AM

7 posts, read 32,872 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll!

I have been reading a lot of posts on this board and am thrilled with how friendly and helpful everyone is. So, with that said, I am going to ask my 150 questions, if that's ok!!??

My Hubby and I live in Vancouver, WA with our 3 year old (in Sept) son. Cost of living is outrageous here and the pay isn't comparable. We cannot afford to even buy a house here so we won't be moving with money from a sell. We plan on renting for awhile first so we can get settled and decide which area we want to live in for sure before purchasing. I have the list of zip codes that 210 recommended to another poster (thank you very much! ) and I was just wondering on cost now? We currently live in an 1800sf townhouse and our rent is $1012. That is cheap because we have lived here so long. Most others are $1200+. What we are hoping to find is about 1600sf or more with a 2 car garage for less than we are paying now. Is that possible? What areas should I be looking in?
Also, we have decided that one of us has to have a job before we can move. I have been to tons of websites and applied at jobs but no responses. I do payroll and assumed that it wouldn't be hard for me to find a job since everyone has a payroll dept. Would it be easier to my husband to get a job first? He is a computer geek, self taught. You may not be able to anwer that, but any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, we are so looking forward to moving. We are so tired of living where people are rude and paying whichever bill is threatening to shut us off. I actually WANT to pay my bills when they are due!! What a novel idea! I would love to actually have the money to have a savings account. I feel that my husband and I make good money but after being triple taxed and then paying high cost of living, we have no money left. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated and I thank ya'll for your time

P.S. What I mean by triple taxed is that I live in WA that has sales tax but no income tax, BUT I work in Oregon that taxes my income AFTER the feds have taxed it. So, I get taxed by the feds, then taxed by Oregon THEN taxed when I go to the store. BTW, Gas is at $3.00 or more right now

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 05:32 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,087,231 times
Default Relocating to SA

Rental Homes:
In the newer homes, a 1600SF house would start around $950 and up. You can find some older homes for around $825 and up. Most leases are one year.

Jobs:
Unless you're in a highly sought after career field, going through a temp agency may be what you need to do to get your foot in the door. Check my earlier post (Temp jobs/agencies in SA) in this San Antonio forum for temp agencies. Self-taught computer geeks might have a harder time (he might try a temp agency). A lot of these types start their own businesses, or he can work for a small business of this type to get started.

The only taxes here are sales tax and property tax (if you own a home). BTW, gas is around $2.69 here.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:47 PM

266 posts, read 671,530 times
i can tell you that the market was rather saturated with techs. i was taking classes and geting some certifications a year or so ago. it wasn’t until after ward i found out how many other folks where doing the same thing. i said ***** it and stayed with the rail road.

jobs are a tough thing here. the best i can say that its a numbers game. send out 10 résumés per day for a few weeks, you will get a few interviews at lest! Might want to check out here…

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/jobsearch.asp?q=&lid=18453&jbf571=&salmin=&salmax= &paygrademin=&paygrademax=&FedEmp=N&sort=rv&vw=d&b rd=3876&ss=0&FedPub=Y&SUBMIT1.x=109&SUBMIT1.y=14 (broken link)

I have seen some computer and payroll stuff there.

Also there is always the rail road! Lmao, worth a look I guess..
http://careerlink.com/0/0/5/7/interfac.htm

Old 08-31-2006, 08:27 PM

679 posts, read 2,730,482 times
Welcome to the boards, TxTransplant! Wow...Washington sounds a lot like Cali. I think it would be pretty easy to find 1600sf for $1,000. I don't live in Texas (live in Cali), but I have been doing a lot of research. Some wonderful board friends will come along and help you out with your questions. I just wanted to say welcome and good luck!

Old 09-01-2006, 07:06 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,134,146 times
I know you stated that your husband was self taught but is he MSFT Certified or do either of you have a degree? If so, you may not have as tough a time as you think. But as mentioned before, definately put in apps in various locations. I would even call and tell them a bit about yourself. For places to work, you can also look here. http://jobs.mysanantonio.com/

Good luck and welcome.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:14 PM

7 posts, read 32,872 times
Wink Thanks!

Thank you so much for the info. I have been sending out my resume almost daily. I have found several payroll jobs that i am qualified for (10 yrs xp) and hopefully will get some calls. I was thinking that they might hesitate to call because I will have to move and can't start immediately.

As for my husband, he has found several jobs that he knows he could do and it does say "or equivalent xp", so we are hoping he can get one. If not, he currently works for Toyota so maybe he can just apply at the new plant!

How long is the commute, typically, from New Braunfels? What other cities are considered "hill country" with a commute of an hour or less? There are SO many little names of different cities within cities that it's hard to do a search.

Thanks again for the help!! I can't wait to get there!

BTW, keep your fingers crossed (or better yet, pray, if you are religious ) I just had a 2nd job interview!! Hoping for the 3rd!!

Old 09-01-2006, 06:26 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,182,262 times
Good luck for the job/ From N. Braunfuls to where to do ya want to go. To the Toyota plant on the SW side I imagine drive time with no traffic to be at least 50 min with traffic longer. From the NW side of town to Toyota about 25 min. On the NW side of SA in the Hill Country you have Leon Springs,Fair Oaks Ranch, Boerne,Helotes on the Northside of things there is Spring Branch,Bulverde all of these areas are really growing. Hubby is a puter geek and getting a CS degree this year and Rackspace and the NSA are hiring big time around here.Check out both those websites.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:56 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,940,944 times
If you're commuting to Toyota on the far south side, I think your best opinion in terms of commuting is the far west side. The 1604/Potranco area.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:53 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,087,231 times
Default Driving to Toyota from Far West SA

I have driven several times from Loop 1604/Potranco (Far West SA) to the Toyota plant area. If you're staying on Loop 1604, then it is a long drive, though not much traffic. As an alternate route, I would probably go southeast on 151, south on 410 and then south on 16.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 AM

2,743 posts, read 13,827,942 times
Are the jobs you are looking at down here paying comparably? That's the biggest thing, I think.

If so then you'll be fine. I live in a "poor" area and got a steal on this rental and I pay under $650 for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 story rental house (1400 sf). I'm not picky though, and most other comparable rentals for this size are $800 and up.

New Braunfels is different. I lived there for 5 years (after having lived in SA for 7, now I'm back in SA) and it's, well, different. More expensive, more conservative, less diverse. I didn't like it but that's just me. I'm your typical left wing bleedin' heart liberal, and me and NB just didn't mesh. Gorgeous place to go in summer though for river fun! Lots of trees, hills, water... very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>