Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:32 PM

123 posts, read 258,022 times

Advertisements

Yes, you need to use common sense. Hide your valuables or take them with you. Lock your car and be mindful of where you park. All that said, I find it ludicrous that posters are actually saying not to customize your car, etc. I'm sorry but having nice things does not give people the right to rob you. You aren't "asking for it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
What;s amusing me is that the OP is currently in Baltimore, MD. I used to live just south of there (in both Laurel and Glen Burnie) and had the hood stolen off my car (an Acura Integra) parked in my apartment complex. I also knew several people in that area who were robbed or had things stolen, and there are many parts of Baltimore that I would steer clear of.

Comparatively in terms of crime, San Antonio is like Switzerland!

If I were moving from Baltimore to San Antonio, I would be looking forward to the decrease in crime rates!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-01-2012, 02:39 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
well, since hondas arent korean cars, i have no idea why youre saying that either one of the hondas i had broken into wasnt running.

what im saying is the stuff i had was obviously more desirable to the thieves, whereas the stuff you had obviously wasnt. sure, the civic and korean pos car i had werent quality, but the 'teg i had still makes most modern cars look rather ugly.

AFAIK thieves dont steal crappy cars (cept that korean car i had. no idea why they stole that clunker).
I didn't say Hondas were Korean; I was quoting you regarding the Korean "POS" (as you called it). And you say again here that you had a Korean car stolen. Not sure why you're confused.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM

487 posts, read 991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSpiderWeb View Post
Yes, you need to use common sense. Hide your valuables or take them with you. Lock your car and be mindful of where you park. All that said, I find it ludicrous that posters are actually saying not to customize your car, etc. I'm sorry but having nice things does not give people the right to rob you. You aren't "asking for it".

There are no excuses for people stealing or vandalizing your car, but if you spend money on customizing and making it nicer, well, it will just be more attractive to thieves. Still a crime, still needs to be punished, but you are helping them by making yourself a target.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:52 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
There are no excuses for people stealing or vandalizing your car, but if you spend money on customizing and making it nicer, well, it will just be more attractive to thieves. Still a crime, still needs to be punished, but you are helping them by making yourself a target.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM

123 posts, read 258,022 times
I am not stupid. I know that theives recognize expensive stuff. My point is that nothing gives anyone the right to steal your things. Period. Yes, use common sense but basically telling people that they should never have anything nice because they are going to get robbed of it is sad and extreme. It also gives the impression that people actually believe that others having expensive stuff means it's okay for people to take it from you.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
you are helping them by making yourself a target.
translation - if you dont want to live in fear of your car getting stolen (because certain people Moderator cut: not permitted just cant resist being thieves), dont customize your car.

got it.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-03-2012 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: people bashing not permitted

Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,479 times
Quote:
My point is that nothing gives anyone the right to steal your things. Period.
i wish this were true, but, like certain Moderator cut: not permitted people who like to drive drunk, there are those that just have to steal from others.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-03-2012 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: people bashing not permitted

Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
I am not stupid. I know that theives recognize expensive stuff. My point is that nothing gives anyone the right to steal your things. Period. Yes, use common sense but basically telling people that they should never have anything nice because they are going to get robbed of it is sad and extreme. It also gives the impression that people actually believe that others having expensive stuff means it's okay for people to take it from you.
I don't think anyone is saying "don't have anything nice" especially if they do not consider tint, rims, dvds, and gps units as "nice" to begin with. They are just regular things and much preferable if they come stock because aftermarket accessories can start to look tacky once piled on in poor taste. Common thieves go for shiny and portable so I suppose some might consider those things as "nice" while others just think of them as flashy.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM

487 posts, read 991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
translation - if you dont want to live in fear of your car getting stolen (because certain people Moderator cut: not permitted just cant resist being thieves), dont customize your car.

got it.
Talking it to an extreme, I guess you are right, alhough my point was more subtle: the more "bling" you show (whether it's in your person, house or car) the higher the chances someone will target you. It could be that you are lucky and nothing happens even if you are very flashy, or it could be that even if you do everything in your power to keep things "modest" you will still be targeted.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-03-2012 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: updated quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio