Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,733,296 times

Advertisements

I had a buddy who went to SA for the fiesta and had his tailgate stolen right off of his truck during the parade on a main street lol. The funny thing is he went right back to SA to buy another tailgate from one of the many chop shops out there....we always joke about how he may have bought the same one that was stolen from him. I hear property crime is out of control in SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,401,203 times
To the OP: you've said yourself that San Antonio is safer than Baltimore. Stay where you are at or move here or move somewhere else.

Very few "large" cities will have no crime. I don't care which state you move to, for every large city is going to have crime.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 AM

97 posts, read 150,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Any negative stats you read are bogus, according to some, and they'll quote stats of their own to back their statement up, but never tell you where they got them from. I mentioned in another thread that most cities have the areas you stay out of and everything is fine. It was IRT Detroit, but it's applicable to many cities I've lived in and visited. The problem with SA is there is nowhere to avoid or stay out of. People here feel entitled to everything and will take things because they feel it's their right. They also have no regard for the law and feel that drunk driving laws aren't for them and choose to ignore them. The police won't do anything about it until a couple of their own get killed and then the "justice system" lets everyone off the hook as long as they promise to only commit 5 or 6 more violations over the next few years (that last part was obviously sarcasm, but you'd think it was fact if you lived here and saw the unbelievable number of multiple repeat DUI offenders).
For the original comments, I'd keep looking somewhere else. I know Baltimore isn't a great place, but SA is no suitable substitute. It may not have all the serious violent crime, but the amount of lesser crimes will drive you bonkers. My son just had his car broke into for the third time in a year. Those "minor" crimes really add up and this latest one is costing over $600 in car repairs (broken windown and punched out lock) and rental car fees.

Now where are those that only see things with rose colored glasses? Where's the stats that will set the OP straight?

BTW, since when can't you speak the truth in a relocation thread? If the OP is considering moving here, and they are, and they have questions like they have, then I would think CD would be interested in giving them facts and honest opinions. Otherwise we might as well only have 5-10 posters in here.
A friend of mine has never had his car broken into and he's lives here his entire life. His parents who have also lived in SA have only had their cars each broken into once.

His mother's suv was broken into at a restaurant a few years back. A cell phone was taken.

His father's truck had it's back window broken in but nothing taken.

That's it.

It's sad that your son has had his car broken into three times in a year but please don 't try and paint that as the norm and what the OP should expect.

In Houston, I never had my car broken into but I knew people who had their cars stolen, broken into, vandalized on a monthly basis. It was crazy.

Bottom line, the crime in SA is way better than in Houston and I can definitely assure the OP that SA is more than a suitable substitute for Baltimore.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,337,411 times
So the moral of this story is that crime here is petty and it doesn't happen to everyone, ergo it's the ultimate place to live. Outfreakingstanding logic there for sure...

Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,764,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravetenebrous View Post
So we are supposed to move down to San Antonio and at first I was like hell yeah. I mean currently I live in Baltimore, MD. and it's a crap hole. Still while getting ready to move we started looking at the area of San Antonio and are you kidding me? We were all about the slower more easy going spirits there, and then we see your crime stats. I mean in a word DAMN. I mean don't get me wrong I'll still give the crap hole award to Baltimore over it because the crime in SA seems more petty then here but what you lack in shootings you make up for by pure numbers. It's a little sad because now we are just considering staying or moving to somewhere else. I mean here certain areas are just a no no to go to and that's fine that is everywhere, and I was expecting something like that when I looked up SA. I wasn't prepared for the fact that it's all over the city there. I mean Jesus there doesn't seem to be a crime free area in the whole damn city. Most of all though the most concerning part of your crime stats was the amount of rapes you have there. WTF is up with all of that. Well guess I'm just kinda asking if it is as bad there as its looking from your data. If so I think I'll just go somewhere else to live and spend my money. Thanks for any help.
People steal things from cars... they do it a lot in SA. Mostly radios or whatever is in plain sight inside, but I know a couple of people whose stock rims were stolen (came out to go to work in the morning and nope... their car is up on blocks). Lots of drunk driving too, judging from all the car-sized holes in walls and fences around town.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,941,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I had a buddy who went to SA for the fiesta and had his tailgate stolen right off of his truck during the parade on a main street lol. The funny thing is he went right back to SA to buy another tailgate from one of the many chop shops out there....we always joke about how he may have bought the same one that was stolen from him. I hear property crime is out of control in SA.
Well, when I lived just outside of Baltimore I had the hood stolen from my Acura. Two other Acuras in my complex suffered the same fate that night.

Auto parts theft is nothing unique to SA, despite what some may try to lead you to believe...

And, just for the record, I have never had anything stolen from my vehicles in SA; and one of which is an open Jeep! But I never leave anything lying in view in a vehicle, here or anywhere else. That's simple common sense...

Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,964,223 times
The maddening part is.. you don't HAVE to leave anything in plain sight. Cheese and rice, you act like we must be begging for it. Can't WAIT till some of you smuggies get ripped off, but of course we won't hear about it.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,337,411 times
My son had absolutely nothing in sight and has dark tinted windows. They broke in because they wanted to, because they're ghetto, and because they feel like they're entitled to everything. It's just not fair that all us richers can live the good life while the lazy scum of the Earth are forced to suffer. That's the mentality you get here and it's repulsive at best.
I too am hoping for some enlightenment on the part of a select few. Oh how I So love irony...

Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 AM

7,119 posts, read 11,789,942 times
I don't see it as smugness, but rather as a levelling of the reporting field. To hear some talk, crime here is rampant. All I can say is that you must not get out much, because most largers cities would love to have our "crime rate".

That's NOT to say that it's not a problem here, and frankly I don't care if you drive around with a sign on your window saying "$5k stereo inside!" - it's NO excuse for the thieves that prey on folks. It has nothing to do with "ghetto" - it has to do with being bottom-feeding, no-class, worthless air breathers that need nothing more than to be caught in the act by a property owner with a baseball bat and a dozen friends to lend a hand when he tires....

Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 AM

177 posts, read 357,363 times
These bottom-feeding, no-class, worthless people you speak of are the ones moving into what were safe, clean, middle to upper middle class neighborhoods and renting homes in them. Multiple families are moving in together as well as multiple generational families. The result: People who do not care about the house itself, the rules of the HOA, or the character/cleanliness of the area. It's more of a "vibe" they put off... as if to let everyone know it is now THEIR hood or THEIR barrio. Just another by-product of a housing market where people can't sell and must rent out their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio