Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:10 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times

Advertisements

I have an above ground pool and I love love LOVE it. I dont find the maintenance to be that bad at all. I just grab a beer in one hand and the vacuum (or pool brush) in the other and set to work. In the 15 years I have had it I have had to replace the filter and pump once (about $500 total) and the sand every 5ish years ($30 each time). Chemicals arent really that bad either. $30-$40/mo, but I figure that is money you would have spent going places that have a pool.

I have a friend that has an inground pool and his seems to require even less maintenance, but when something does go wrong the repair always seems to have an extra zero attached to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Thanks everyone. I just found out the house right up the street that has a pool sold a few days ago, after being on the market less than a month. The larger house (by 400 square feet) with a similar sized lot that is priced less, that does not have pool, has been on the market since March, with three price drops. Interesting. Well, we wouldn't do it for a year or two anyway, but it's definitely in our hearts and minds. I'd rather buy a house that already has a pool, and in hindsight I wish I had done it, but we just were so ready to get out of that hotel I wasn't uber picky, I just knew I wanted to be in a good neighborhood. I've got that, so now I'm thinking...hmm....LOL.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,175 times
If a realtor says that an in-ground pool doesn't add value to your home, they aren't a good realtor.

Of course, the pool needs to be in good shape, and NOT an above-ground pool.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I have an above ground pool and I love love LOVE it.
Thanks for the info. on the above ground pool. Would you be able to break down the pool and take it with you if you move homes?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
As a Realtor, you're probably only looking at a 15-20% return on your investment, max. However, not EVERYTHING can be looked at as an investment. If you're investing in your family's enjoyment, I say go for it. Enjoy it and don't look back.

When it's time to sell, though it won't add much if any value (though apparently I'm a bad Realtor according to a poster above), you'll stand out in your community when folks are looking at all the houses, so hopefully it'll result in a quicker sale.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
As a Realtor, you're probably only looking at a 15-20% return on your investment, max. However, not EVERYTHING can be looked at as an investment. If you're investing in your family's enjoyment, I say go for it. Enjoy it and don't look back.

When it's time to sell, though it won't add much if any value (though apparently I'm a bad Realtor according to a poster above), you'll stand out in your community when folks are looking at all the houses, so hopefully it'll result in a quicker sale.

Thanks kev. I was kind of thinking along those lines. Appreciate your input!

Now the question is...how much is a pool in SA? You can get a nice one in H-town for around $30K, that includes an attached spa. I don't know that we will get that lucky here, because of all the limestone in our area. Lots to cut through. Hrm. Will have to see what our neighbors do up the street--they are putting in a pool in September (apparently it is cheaper?).

Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Thanks kev. I was kind of thinking along those lines. Appreciate your input!

Now the question is...how much is a pool in SA? You can get a nice one in H-town for around $30K, that includes an attached spa. I don't know that we will get that lucky here, because of all the limestone in our area. Lots to cut through. Hrm. Will have to see what our neighbors do up the street--they are putting in a pool in September (apparently it is cheaper?).
Expect to pay around around 40K for a pool with a spa here. 30K seems pretty cheap for both spa and pool. Maybe the rate depends on the pool company. I used Keith Zars.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Thanks for the info. on the above ground pool. Would you be able to break down the pool and take it with you if you move homes?
Hmmm I am going to say no. Then again, I am really not sure.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Expect to pay around around 40K for a pool with a spa here. 30K seems pretty cheap for both spa and pool. Maybe the rate depends on the pool company. I used Keith Zars.
Building a pool in Houston is pretty easy from what I understand. No rock, and the use of stone and grading is little to none with the exception of the coping and the deck. I would imagine on a sloped lot like ours it is going to be more expensive.

I dunno. Maybe we should just wait for a house in our neighborhood to go on the market that has a pool. To be honest, the thought of moving makes me want to hurl LOL.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:13 PM

431 posts, read 1,204,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I was actually counting on you to agree with me when I made that comment...and, uhhh...you kind of did, amirite?

If your pool makes your home stand out and it sells quicker, I would see that as value-added.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio