Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,233,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
WHY WHY WHY? To me, this is the armpit of the US. Nope- I think it is the dirtyiest most disgusting place on the planet. But for right now I am stuck here... Please rethink this.
The only way your statement rings true is if you lived inside one of San Antonio's waste sewer pipes.

If that is the case I will agree with you 100% and will gladly assist you in purchasing a ladder to get to up to the street level.

From that vantage point you will find a clean and friendly city

Last edited by plwhit; 06-24-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 05:38 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,838,575 times
Easily the dirtiest city that we've ever lived in. I've traveled all over the world and of course SA does not rank up there with some of the Int'l cities.
It's on my "top 5 dirtiest cities" list domestically though. It's nasty.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:25 PM

311 posts, read 847,253 times
I think it is VERY funny that people who moved away from here can't stay away from this forum! Amazing!
I've lived in many cities myself, in FL, PA., NJ, CA (twice), NV. and in 3 of the biggest cities in TX. I really like San Antonio & we have CHOSEN to live here & are glad we did.

Happiness usually comes from within. Some people just cannot be happy. If you liked S.A. on your visits, you'll surely like it as a resident. I live in a 'burb so can't help with lofts but sure do wish you the best & hope you'll enjoy your new home

Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 AM

138 posts, read 469,150 times
Someone asked why I don't like it here and what/where I would compare it to...
I have lived throughout the US- PA, AZ, WA, WY, MT, MI, MO, FL,- all as an adult. Have lived in other states as a childto adult but obviously can't use judgement at that age.
I live in the north-central part of San Antonio. Supposedly the 'nicer' area. Last nite, we had our monthly condo/HOA meeting- the meeting was well attended- more than usual. The subject most spoken was concerning the high crime- theft of multiple vehicles,(my neighbor has had her truck stolen 3 times!), vehicles being put up on blocks and tires stolen, theft of items off of patios- even patio table/chairs- the whole set! drug dealing in our 'community', which has brought undesirable type of people- (drugs breed more crime as they seek ways of stealing things to get money for more drugs, thus targeting 'nicer' things because it will bring them more money to buy drugs-the 'cycle). When we have had to hire someone in the past, the jobs are done sloppily or even not at all(these are 'recommended' people). We had to discuss that the problem is so bad that we have to now install cameras for security in addition to the security patrol that we already have.
Filth- The filth of the city/surrounding areas is terrible- not as bad as on Indian reservations, but close. I have seen many, many people throw trash out auto windows while at a stop light- I walk ALOT- there are wonderful local city parks where people just throw garbage on the ground- dirty diapers, trash- the dog walking trails are full of dogSh*t- there are bags available to clean up. I am walking 1-2 dogs at a time and wouldn't consider leaving sh*t on the ground to for someone to step in, to seep into our water system! The drivers are rude- angry and dangerous- they seem to think that rules do not include them, ie we live accross from both an elemenary school and a high school- there are 20mph hours, there are multiple 'do not pass on shoulder' signs...it is amazing to watch people move over to the right hand shoulder (almost onto the sidewalk) when the auto ahead of them is turning left...
I understand that when you are in a bigger city there will be more crime- just plain crime/population ratio.
The air quality here is very bad- look at the statistics online- Phoenix AZ was dirty, as was Denver, CO, St. Louis, MO- where I have lived.
There are other reasons that I do not like SA, but crime, drugs, attitude/personal accountability, air quality, is important to me. I no longer have children in schools, but If I did I would not evem consider the public school systems here.
I feel as a few other posters here do- SA is just not a nice place. Each of us has their own opinions. When people live/grow up somewhere they don't see how bad it is because they are always around it- it becomes the 'norm', therefore you becomes complacent with what you grow up in.
I prefere other places where I have lived, western WA, northern WY, central CO, northwest FL. The cities are smaller- people are cleaner(I am not speaking personal body), the communities tend to be more responsible for self- if you do something wrong the local community is aware of it and there is repercussions, so people tend to behave better. It is not tolerated if you are crime oriented. Children go to better public schools, they are brought up in a more responsible manner. In other words, the communities are more accountable. The areas where I prefer are pristine (exception is the oil spill in Laurel, 50 miles away from where I live in WY this weekend- that is a horrible travisty to those of us who love our clean state). The city I live in had a murder in 1998, prior to that it was 1963 I think. It is clean, people are polite, they work hard on any given job. We breath clean air- the exception is when there is a forest fire or when so many people come into the Park and the auto exhaust pollutes the air for a period of time.
My opinion may not be yours, and I am not attacking any person of course- I just do not want to live in this type of culture/environment- I will be so happy wen I can leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio