Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 PM

431 posts, read 765,957 times

Advertisements

one of the perks for gated community, water police doesnt enter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
one of the perks for gated community, water police doesnt enter
ohhh dont get all cocky, they most certainly WILL enter a gated community. hope one of your neighbors doesnt report you

Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
ohhh dont get all cocky, they most certainly WILL enter a gated community. hope one of your neighbors doesnt report you
I have never seen the water cops in my neighborhood, but considering everyone cheats I'm not to worried about getting reported.
plus considering my local city council person lives on my street with a VERY nice lawn it all works out.

it is what it is.

PLEASE LET IT RAIN!! but on a monday

Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times
Quote:
I have never seen the water cops in my neighborhood, but considering everyone cheats I'm not to worried about getting reported.
plus considering my local city council person lives on my street with a VERY nice lawn it all works out.

it is what it is.

PLEASE LET IT RAIN!! but on a monday
thats cool then, just sayin, you never know when someone might get jealous and decide to call the water cops.

i do mine in the morning when no ones awake, and i only water twice a week, so no worries here.

forecasts say MAYBE rain this coming week... MAYBE. i did my rain dance a few days ago and i got a few splatters of water on my rav4 when i was heading up 281 north.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
thats cool then, just sayin, you never know when someone might get jealous and decide to call the water cops.

i do mine in the morning when no ones awake, and i only water twice a week, so no worries here.

forecasts say MAYBE rain this coming week... MAYBE. i did my rain dance a few days ago and i got a few splatters of water on my rav4 when i was heading up 281 north.
i do mine twice a week at 5am or so (sprinklers)

Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
For me there's something relaxing about watering the lawn by hand......

Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
The water restrictions here aren't as draconian as people make them out to be. You are allowed to water your lawns with handheld devices at all times. Yes it's more work, but I bet you're going to waste less water than mindlessly running your sprinklers and you can still enjoy a green lawn.

It seems obvious to me that if you are so concerned with having a lush lawn in an area that is as prone to droughts as South Texas (I've lived here since 2002 and have experienced droughts in 2005-2006, 2008-2009, Oct 2010 - current drought) that the only way to go is xeriscaping. Just like it's nearly impossible to grow palm trees in Michigan, certain types of grasses that people insist on growing here is also an uphill and unnecessary battle to try to maintain.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Similar to AnthonySA, I've lived here since August 2001 & my family's noticed the general climatic trend here. When we built our new house to accomodate a growing family, we ensured that we had NO grass whatsoever. Our lawns are pure dirt/mulch with flowers, bushes & a few trees. No overwatering going on here.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
The water restrictions here aren't as draconian as people make them out to be. You are allowed to water your lawns with handheld devices at all times. Yes it's more work, but I bet you're going to waste less water than mindlessly running your sprinklers and you can still enjoy a green lawn.

It seems obvious to me that if you are so concerned with having a lush lawn in an area that is as prone to droughts as South Texas (I've lived here since 2002 and have experienced droughts in 2005-2006, 2008-2009, Oct 2010 - current drought) that the only way to go is xeriscaping. Just like it's nearly impossible to grow palm trees in Michigan, certain types of grasses that people insist on growing here is also an uphill and unnecessary battle to try to maintain.
xeroscape is against my hoa
also they will write us up if are grass is dead they once wrote me up for dead grass in the winter, i won that fight but lost many others due to landscaping

Old 06-18-2011, 12:56 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
Quote:
xeroscape is against my hoa
also they will write us up if are grass is dead they once wrote me up for dead grass in the winter, i won that fight but lost many others due to landscaping
That's awful. I'm not sure the proper legal procedure, but maybe try to get in contact with SAWS about these regulations and they can perhaps provide better advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio