Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 01:13 AM

80 posts, read 121,778 times

Advertisements

I am re-entering the military soon and the family has been discussing possible duty stations. My concession to the wife if I get to go back in is her choosing of the possible bases/areas we will relocate to.

We have some particular requirements/desires for our next location and this is where I'm hoping all of you friendly Texans can help.

- I would be stationed at Ft Sam and the wife would probably work either on base as well or in the local areas. We are looking for a not-too-strenuous commute from the east side to Ft Sam.

- We have LOTS of animals. Obviously will not be living on base. Looking for an area that is 1) rural and horse friendly 2)has affordable rentals (ie-BAH will cover a rental) 3) not too crime ridden

I spent time training @ Ft Sam years ago but I didn't spend much time outside of SA. The wife has never been there but has made her preferences clear.

I have studied the posts on here for similar topics and it appears that areas such as Seguin, New Braunfels, Shertz may fit the bill. Are there any areas closer to SA/ Ft Sam that would suffice? I wouldn't think areas to the west would qualify as the commute would be too long. Any arguments to the contrary there? How about to the north or south of SA?

Also, any military (or prior) who can advise on renting vs buying in the area please weigh in.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
There are rural areas on the SE and E sides. I don't know too much about China Grove, but it's on the east side outside 410. The area around East Central HS is rural.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM

From your observations, are there affordable rentals there?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
"Affordable" is a relative term, depending on YOUR definition of same.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
"Affordable" is a relative term, depending on YOUR definition of same.
"2)has affordable rentals (ie-BAH will cover a rental)"

BAH is in the $1200- 2000 range. Affordability(to me) is within that range.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
You'll be able to find something in that range on the S/SE side of town as well as in the NB/Seguin area. If you have kids though I would highly recommend choosing the NB/Cibolo area over the SE side, though. Otherwise the SE side may be a good choice.

The 410 south cut off, though, is a real pain. Of all the areas in San Antonio where I have driven this is one of the few areas that seriously makes me want to kill myself. Even 1604 west near Braun/Culebra at 5:15 is better than 410/35 at 5:15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio