Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 PM

108 posts, read 241,017 times

Advertisements

This past Saturday my wife and went to the airport which had been 6 months since our last trip. I knew there had been some changes with screenings and pat downs so I thought in the best interest of national security I can tolerate it.

We went through the normal procedure walking under the metal scanner and both us past through with no problem and we grabbed our stuff and went to our assigned gate. About an hour and half went by and we were sitting with the other passengers waiting in our gate area. We noticed 3 TSA agents walking into our area and everybody stood up straight waiting to see why they were there. They went to one gentleman and asked him to put out his hands then they wiped it with a damp towelette,they proceeded to another man and he was hesitant at first but they told him it was a new policy.I asked someone what are they doing and he said they are looking for gun residue,I told him I don't even own a gun and besides its been an hour and half since we passed the scanners My wife said teasingly you know there coming to you next and I said under my breath I know and sure enough they did.

About 3 minutes later a TSA agent came to me and told me to get my stuff and I proceeded to follow him to the concealed glass structure by the scanners and I asked what happened and he said I set of the metal detector earlier which didn't make any sense. Another agent came into the room and said he was going to pat me down and described how he was going to it so I would know what to expect. Of course they didn't find anything and I was told to go back to my gate. I was humilated going back to my seat wondering what the other passengers were thinking.

Has anyone experienced this same procedure or is this an attempt to profile by TSA agents once again taking one more civil right away from us.
I wasn't drinking,swearing,dressed in any unsual way or doing anything to create attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM

905 posts, read 1,626,719 times
Racial profiling???

Old 06-24-2011, 12:38 PM

487 posts, read 990,078 times
I travel pretty often and have never seen anything like that. Looks like perhaps they received a "tip" or noticed something weird on the passenger list (like a name in the "no fly list" or whatever they call it these days). I think they gave you a bad explanation with the "metal detector" thing.

I used to get mad when I thought I was being "profiled", but since I have noticed that they "profile" more elderly ladies than me, now I don't make a big deal out of it...

Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 PM

545 posts, read 1,059,426 times
No kidding. Every time I forget to trim my beard and get a tan, I'm 'randomly selected'. This last time around, I was 10 feet away from the metal detector when it magically beeped with nobody under it and got groped by our friends at TSA.

Given this kind of nonsense happens 100% of the time multiple times a year the last 5 or 6 years, you bet your behind they're racially profiling me. If you see the guy so tired of it he's wearing shorts, flip flops, a t-shirt, and carrying nothing but his ID and boarding pass, you know you've seen me.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:47 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,812,719 times
I travel at least weekly, sometimes twice a week through SAT and I've seen this happening more and more. You CAN legally refuse at that point to a search, as you've already been through a TSA checkpoint: They've had their turn. Now they should leave you alone.

I make their job difficult because I know the statistics of how much 'good' they've done... And all at taxpayer expense. Billions of dollars for what amounts to just politically correct theatrics. If anyone here has flown through or within the Middle East, then you know how they handle terrorism and profiling. They don't mess around and frankly, it's a more efficient (and direct) system. The TSA is a joke.

BN

Old 06-24-2011, 04:25 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,155,948 times
Quote:
We noticed 3 TSA agents walking into our area and everybody stood up straight waiting to see why they were there.
I'm wondering why anybody stood up (or would even sit up straight) because these goons walked into the area.

People didn't even do that when the Gestapo or KGB walked in the area...

Was there something special or ethnic with the people in the area?

I'm sorry, I can understand people who live in police states reacting like this but not Americans........

Last edited by plwhit; 06-24-2011 at 04:35 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 04:50 PM

552 posts, read 1,057,299 times
I flew out of SAT a couple of weeks ago, and no one in my family had any unusual search or screening take place. Me and my son flew back (from overseas) this week, and again nothing special at any of the two airports we went through screening at. The only odd thing is coming back I had something in my carry-on bag that I didn't know was there (my wife put it in the carry on by accident). It was something that wasn't allowed in carry-on's. I went through security screening twice and no one said anything about it. But the third time I went through screening (we got "lost" at one airport and mistakenly left the secure area, so had to go back through TSA), they ran my carry on through the machine, pulled it off and told me they needed to look in it, found the prohibited item, and confiscated it. My son and I found it odd that it took three times going through security before anyone said anything about it.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:04 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,335,181 times
Everyone getting on our 777 had a secondary screen at Seoul Incheon the other week and they said it was because someone in the US requested it (flight from Seoul to Seattle) for that flight. I'd personally rather be safe than sorry and I only blame one group of people for it and it's not the TSA...

Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,698,280 times
I had a secondary screen in Orange County (John Wayne Airport) but it was really silly. I went through security without a hitch and after a few minutes by the gate I see TSA set up a table and start randomly checking people. The picked me but all they did was go through my laptop case. Seemed silly since I had to empty it to go through the scanner.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 PM

615 posts, read 1,519,993 times
The TSA is "faux security". It's a joke. I work for the DoD, and I think it's a joke. A huge waste of taxpayer dollars at work here.

I get scanned and groped every time. Hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio