Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,115,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
and it's not so much that people are or aren't using plastic bags... but you just get SO MANY of them. i don't know about other folks, but my weeks worth of groceries as heb or walmart could send me home with ten plastic bags! (i could cut that in half if i were bagging them though. most grocery bagging clerks seem to use an excessive amount of bags, especially when in a hurry.) ten plastic bags a week? meaning i have roughly forty bags in my collection per month! holy cow. even if i had a need for so many bags, i don't take heart in that their only purpose is to be thrown away.
I agree! I love using reusable bags because it is so much easier to bring in the bags (3 or 4) instead of 10 plastic bags. Much easier when we lived on the 2nd floor of my apartment. Now we have a house with a garage but still a nice thing to use the reuseable bags. Sometimes the plastic bags are so flimsy and they tear and I've got rolling tomatoes in my trunk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,800,866 times
I have chased numerous apples and oranges down the driveway into the street due to those bags ripping apart! They are awful! Reusable is the way to go.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:33 AM

92 posts, read 235,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I use my plastic bags for all kinds of uses. How do people pick up their dog poop? Dirty diapers? Waste basket trash?
I'm not 100% against plastic bags (yet...), I'm just advocating that people pay for what they use. I purchase dog poop bags that are appropriately sized for dog poop, rather than using a full grocery bag for a little bit of poop. For smaller waste baskets I don't use a bag at all, and for larger trash cans I use a much larger bag so as to maximize surface-area-to-volume ratio (less plastic per lb of trash).

Giving out "free" bags (that only appear to be free) encourages people to use them whenever they can. After all, the cabinet under their sink is overflowing with them! If we charged people for bags, they might start thinking "Where can I use reuseable bags? Do I need to use a disposable plastic bag to carry my lunch or can I get a fabric bag? Do I need to dispose of the bag which held dirty diapers, or can I wash and reuse?"

Old 04-13-2013, 06:10 PM

191 posts, read 447,378 times
I know you can not put plastic bags in the City's recycling bins, but does anyone know if you can put them in Waste Management's recycle bins?
I checked their website, and it was not clear. I can call Monday, but was hoping someone already knows the answer Thanks!

Old 04-14-2013, 02:47 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,989,621 times
Tiger won't take them either. I just return them to the store. Most everyone has a drop off bin.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,628,855 times
Washing and reusing plastic bags brings up sanitary issues. Washing bags that held dog poop? You've got to be kidding. Like washing and reusing bags that held meat. I know we can cut back on using disposable bags but eliminate them entirely, I think not. I was reusing the produce bags when the clerk brought up the sanitary issues with doing so. So true...leaking fruit etc. Just some of my thoughts. I do recycle everything I possibly can by checking the website to see what all they take.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,989,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Washing and reusing plastic bags brings up sanitary issues. Washing bags that held dog poop? You've got to be kidding. Like washing and reusing bags that held meat. I know we can cut back on using disposable bags but eliminate them entirely, I think not. I was reusing the produce bags when the clerk brought up the sanitary issues with doing so. So true...leaking fruit etc. Just some of my thoughts. I do recycle everything I possibly can by checking the website to see what all they take.

Who said they wash them after picking up poop??!!!

Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,628,855 times
I read it on here somewhere, can't locate now!

Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM

584 posts, read 1,192,431 times
Austin is the latest city to ban the plastic bags.

Ban On Plastic Bags In Austin Draws Mixed Feelings « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio