Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeslice60148 View Post
About quotas: Bexar County Sheriff's office wants their officers to write at least 5 tickets every shift. It's not a hard quota, but you'll get your ass chewed out if your tickets are waaaay down. For instance, if you are "recommended" to have written 75 tickets over a two week period, and you only have 20, you're in for it.

Oh, their month ends on the Friday before the 15th of each month, and SAPD ends the Friday before the 30th of each month.

I can neither confirm nor deny that my neighbor is a Bexar County Deputy.
That is bull. That isnt how it works at all and is so far out of left field as to be laughable to someone who knows how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Because that is exactly what they are paid to do?!?

Please, we cannot continually go on about the alleged incompetency of the local law enforcement agencies on one hand; then complain about them doing their job on the other!

Here's a little secret I learned a while back...obey the law as best you can, and chances are good that you don't have to worry about being caught by the police!

And if you do slip and managed to do something illegal, accept the consequences like and adult and move on. We're all only human, and it happens sometime; but don't blame the police for doing their jobs!

That's BS and you know it. Let me provide some examples of the SAPD just 'doing their job...'

As a part of SA's gay community, it's commonly known that the SAPD troll for business around 'the strip' of Main Street/Evergreen. They have harassed, bullied and then been found guilty more than once for the way they've treated the GLBT community. One particular case involved a Canadian tourist who was thrown to the ground, called sexually offensive names by a cop and never actually charged with anything. Funny thing, but the guy ended up being straight, sued the living s*it out of the SAPD and won. SAPD ended up having a very public hand-slapping, lost a heaping mess of their funding and was finally forced to provide proper training for their crew on how to treat 'other' people.

As for me personally, since I bought my car, new, back in 2004, I've been stopped numerous times for absolutely no reason other than someone who appears young driving a relatively expensive vehicle. I've heard all sorts of excuses as to why I was stopped (mystery tail light outage, insurance check, cop couldn't somehow read my license plate), never given a ticket ONCE and questioned within an inch of my life over things they had no reasonable cause to ask. I know my rights. The SAPD very often deal with folks who do not and are push-overs. I now make it clear to any officer that without reasonable cause or probable doubt that my attorney's number is on speed dial, along with friends at the news desk of KSAT-12.

Yeah, they're just doing their jobs. I beg to differ.

BN

Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
That's BS and you know it. Let me provide some examples of the SAPD just 'doing their job...'

As a part of SA's gay community, it's commonly known that the SAPD troll for business around 'the strip' of Main Street/Evergreen. They have harassed, bullied and then been found guilty more than once for the way they've treated the GLBT community. One particular case involved a Canadian tourist who was thrown to the ground, called sexually offensive names by a cop and never actually charged with anything. Funny thing, but the guy ended up being straight, sued the living s*it out of the SAPD and won. SAPD ended up having a very public hand-slapping, lost a heaping mess of their funding and was finally forced to provide proper training for their crew on how to treat 'other' people.

As for me personally, since I bought my car, new, back in 2004, I've been stopped numerous times for absolutely no reason other than someone who appears young driving a relatively expensive vehicle. I've heard all sorts of excuses as to why I was stopped (mystery tail light outage, insurance check, cop couldn't somehow read my license plate), never given a ticket ONCE and questioned within an inch of my life over things they had no reasonable cause to ask. I know my rights. The SAPD very often deal with folks who do not and are push-overs. I now make it clear to any officer that without reasonable cause or probable doubt that my attorney's number is on speed dial, along with friends at the news desk of KSAT-12.

Yeah, they're just doing their jobs. I beg to differ.

BN
So you are saying that the system works...you gave an example of how an Officer got out of line and justice was served. Hardly compelling.

As to getting stopped all the time. You can't even begin to imagine why you are getting questioned and there is no legal reason to inform you. The world is a much bigger place than just what happens to you.

For example, I get to work and get information that a kidnapped child is in a blue honda...I am, if I can, going to be pulling over all the blue hondas that I see. I am also going to have a legal reason to do so, even if it seems "chicken crap" in your eyes. It is legal (look up "pretext" stop)

Once I find out you are not the blue honda I am looking for, chances are high I am going to let you go. In your mind, all you know is you got pulled over for something you think is trivial and then questioned. I got news for you, chances are high it has nothing to do with you or the reasons you think.

As for your lawyer and the news on speed dial...What is that going to do? I hear that every day and even have some people make the call. Which I and other Officers are trained not to allow, I will, if I have to, take your phone from you by force, I do not know who you are calling and it might be for backup. That is something you need to know.

Again, though, what is that(calling your lawyer or the news) going to do? (BTW, your Lawyer will tell you to do what the officer says) They can do nothing for you on the side of the road, if they try, an Officer can and will take them to Jail as well. It is an empty threat.

You need to know that in Texas, you can be taken to Jail for just about anything.(everything except speeding and open container) There are Officers who will not think twice about taking you to jail for something as simple as not wearing a seatbelt or the like if you want to argue on the side of the road what an expert on the law you are....fine, tell it to the Judge, he knows a thing or two about the law as well.

YOU do not decide what reasonable suspicion and probable cause is. Officers do and the courts do quality control on that.

You may not like or agree with all of that but you need to rethink a few things because you dont understand how it works.

The Police do not have to be right when it comes to making a stop. (people dont often understand what reasonable suspicion and/or probable cause means) An Officer must be able to articulate, why, under the totality of the circumstances to HIS (the Officer's) knowledge why he thought he had a legal right to take the action he did. It has nothing to do with how YOU see it, as you dont have all the information the Officer does.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
never given a ticket ONCE and questioned within an inch of my life over things they had no reasonable cause to ask. I know my rights.

BTW, you are upset over NOT getting a ticket...

And you need to know, you do not "know your rights" as there is no "reasonable cause to ask" anything. An Officer can ask you anything he wants for any reason he wants. Your right is not to answer. As I pointed out in my last post, you also have no idea why the Officer is asking you what he is as you lack the information the Officer has about the situation.

Asking people questions is not a Police function. Many of the things the Police do is not a police function (it doesnt fall into any special statute for Officers.)

If I see you in a park and walk up to say hi, that is not a Police function. Anyone can do that....including an Officer, on duty, in uniform.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
That is bull. That isnt how it works at all and is so far out of left field as to be laughable to someone who knows how it works.
Get used to the bull on this site, there's a lot of people shoveling it in huge quantities!

People just love to blame the police for everything, and always claim they are being "targeted" for one reason or another. I bet with the increased enforcement over this holiday weekend we're going to get more stories about how innocent people were "harassed" and "entrapped" for no reason whatsoever.

I'm sure it will be entertaining...

Old 07-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Get used to the bull on this site, there's a lot of people shoveling it in huge quantities!

People just love to blame the police for everything, and always claim they are being "targeted" for one reason or another. I bet with the increased enforcement over this holiday weekend we're going to get more stories about how innocent people were "harassed" and "entrapped" for no reason whatsoever.

The coolest thing about the whole Police issue is....if someone wants, they can become one. There is no vast conspiracy. Most of the problems people have with the police come from either a highly inflated sense of self importance (and thus a belief they should be an exception) or a lack of understanding of what is really going on.

I cant change how people feel about themselves but even a little light gets rid of a lot of darkness when it comes to knowledge.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:48 PM

204 posts, read 336,274 times
Quote:

Are you suggesting that there are no officers who are incompetent, use excessive force, or harass people when not necessary?

What about SWAT teams busting down doors, guns drawn on no-knock warrants, terrorizing families for non-violent things like MARIJUANA use? Nevermind the fact that it's probably the wrong house...

How about "officers" shooting and killing family pets because they barked which caused the officer to fear for his life and resort to lethal force?

No, there are no bad cops out there. I suppose we should all just shut up and be good little citizens, making sure not to disrespect officers' authority.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Are you suggesting that there are no officers who are incompetent, use excessive force, or harass people when not necessary?

What about SWAT teams busting down doors, guns drawn on no-knock warrants, terrorizing families for non-violent things like MARIJUANA use? Nevermind the fact that it's probably the wrong house...

How about "officers" shooting and killing family pets because they barked which caused the officer to fear for his life and resort to lethal force?

No, there are no bad cops out there. I suppose we should all just shut up and be good little citizens, making sure not to disrespect officers' authority.
Of course there are bad Officers. However, the fact that it makes the news and is such a big deal actually lends to the side that says it doesnt happen often. It also needs to be noted, most people who think there is something wrong with an officer(or what an officer has done) are wrong or at the very least lack understanding. Threads like these point that out.

A point about no-knock....you do know that SWAT doesnt make that call...right...you did know that? A Judge does. However, given the tone of your post and hyperbole, it is unlikely you want to learn and grow in wisdom but just keep on feeling they way you do.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 PM

204 posts, read 336,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Of course there are bad Officers. However, the fact that it makes the news and is such a big deal actually lends to the side that says it doesnt happen often. It also needs to be noted, most people who think there is something wrong with an officer(or what an officer has done) are wrong or at the very least lack understanding. Threads like these point that out.

A point about no-knock....you do know that SWAT doesnt make that call...right...you did know that? A Judge does. However, given the tone of your post and hyperbole, it is unlikely you want to learn and grow in wisdom but just keep on feeling they way you do.
Of course I know that. Does that make it right though? SWAT raids for non violent offenses is just absurd and a blatant waste of resources. Why not save it for bank robbers, rapists, and murderers? I guess they need to justify their existence.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:11 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post

No, but there are sure a helluva lot more bad citizens out there; and some act like public servants should be more like personal servants to them!

I also believe that in the vast majority of accusations against the police that it is actually the accuser who is to blame for the situation. Not always, but if I were a betting man my money would be on the police.

Lastly, despite yours or anyone else's opinion about it, marijuana is still an illegal drug and its use or possession is still reason for the police to arrest someone. The drug trade is a violent business, one only has to look at all the slayings, decapitations and other violence going on in Mexico to realize that.

But once again people blame the police for doing their job, and ignore the simple fact that the real reason they are getting the attention of the police is because they are breaking the law!

How's that so hard for some to comprehend?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio