Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
My car is a 2010 year model, and I only got a 1 year sticker. It is a sham for new cars.
Maybe something has changed? The last two brand new cars I bought I got 2yr inspection stickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
My car is a 2010 year model, and I only got a 1 year sticker. It is a sham for new cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Maybe something has changed? The last two brand new cars I bought I got 2yr inspection stickers.
Brand-new cars are eligible (not required) to have a 2-year inspection sticker issued for the initial inspection only. Most dealers appear to issue 2-year stickers, and it also appears most of them do this immediately upon receipt of the new vehicle from the factory.

I bought a new car several years back, that had been sitting in inventory for several months. It had a 2-year sticker that had been issued upon delivery to the dealer, that by this time had about 1-1/2 years left. It had a damaged windshield, which the dealer agreed to replace prior to my taking possession. They also volunteered to issue a new inspection sticker, since so much time had passed since the one that was on the vehicle had been issued, and easier to do it that way, anyway, since they were replacing the windshield.

I ended up with a 1-year sticker. They explained that the 2-year stickers can be issued on brand-new vehicles for the initial inspection only, and the law restricts any future inspection stickers issued to that vehicle to be 1-year stickers only.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
Hmm going on around 3 years.. I have a valid excuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
LOL. What is it? Is it a classic car?
Look at his location, he's military stationed out of state (Charleston AFB, SC). While he has to keep his registration up to date, inspections are a different story since the vehicle isn't in Texas. However, upon returning here he would have three days to get an inspection unless he has a current inspection sticker from one of the states with which we have reciprocity (which we do with South Carolina).

He would still have to find out of SC has has an exemption for out-of-state military personnel to get out-of-state vehicles inspected. Some states do require it even if your vehicle is registered in another state but you're stationed there...

So if he does have an inspection from SC, he'd be good to go in Texas until that inspection expires.

If he's not required to get one there, he'd have to do so soon after returning here.

Oh, and to answer the original question, I keep my registration and inspections current.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-09-2011, 01:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Brand-new cars are eligible (not required) to have a 2-year inspection sticker issued for the initial inspection only. Most dealers appear to issue 2-year stickers, and it also appears most of them do this immediately upon receipt of the new vehicle from the factory.

I bought a new car several years back, that had been sitting in inventory for several months. It had a 2-year sticker that had been issued upon delivery to the dealer, that by this time had about 1-1/2 years left. It had a damaged windshield, which the dealer agreed to replace prior to my taking possession. They also volunteered to issue a new inspection sticker, since so much time had passed since the one that was on the vehicle had been issued, and easier to do it that way, anyway, since they were replacing the windshield.

I ended up with a 1-year sticker. They explained that the 2-year stickers can be issued on brand-new vehicles for the initial inspection only, and the law restricts any future inspection stickers issued to that vehicle to be 1-year stickers only.
That is interesting. Those two cars I mentioned, when I got them they didnt even have stickers on them. In one case they put it on as part of the make-ready. In the other case they had me come back the next day to get it since it was so late.

LOL of course I dont buy brand new anymore so it will never be an issue.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
That has been my thought exactly... "lets see who has gotten away with this for the longest".

I have lived in areas where a "clean air" program exists. They skipped the basic safety check and went straight to checking if the vehicle fit into the emissions guidelines.

The inspection sticker seems more of a money grabbing sham to me... especially when it applies to new vehicles. Sure, the certificate is good for 2-years on a new vehicle but the inspection is totally unnecessary. New vehicles should be able to operate legally without the sticker for at least 2-years.
I wouldn't be so obsessed with this topic if they gave us 2-year options or something of that nature. The way it's set up now, it's just a scam, particularly for newer vehicles of less than 10 years old.

Many people take excellent care of their automobiles because they love them: they're not going to let it deteriorate just because they don't need to get an inspection sticker. That's just bunk. The people who need to get inspection stickers are the ones who let their cars deteriorate into rust buckets and heaps. And guess what? Some of those aren't going to let a lack of inspection stickers deter them from driving!

It's just a scam & I really dislike it. Plus, the point of the thread was to see how long people have gone without 'em. Just out of curiosity It's always nice to know that our money isn't being stolen by the government.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
feel your pain, we inherited a car after the death of a family member and it was the biggest pain in the petunias to get the registration squared away. The paperwork!!! --- and TWO trips to motor vehicle --- ugh.

To answer the question through, I go maybe a month over on my stickers but no longer. Especially on the registration stickers. At some point they won't let you renew at H-E-B or by mail and you have to go all the way down to the DMV. Learned my lesson after that...
it shouldnt have been that hard. when i had to go to the dps office, i had to request a hearing (car i was in possession of had no title). took a week, had to go back for hearing, submitted proof of ownership (bill of sale, tax paperwork, etc etc).

bout 2 weeks later i got the title in the mail.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 AM

502 posts, read 934,366 times
Right now my street/strip car has 07 tags... I only drive it a few blocks to put gas...it's more of a race car now so no sense of it getting inspected, or reg. If I happen to get pulled over all I have to do is get the stickers and prove to the court then dismissed! I get em all the time! I try but it's hard with my schedule. However I do get my reg in the mail so that's not to bad

Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 AM

993 posts, read 2,491,119 times
I am always up to date. I actually kind of like getting new stickers and squaring them up on the front left windshield. Try and make them level as possible. Anyone have a good technique that works. I have found standing outside the car and with the window down reaching under the windshield to make sure it looks good from the outside.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
I use a grease pencil or sharpie to mark level on the outside of the w/s, then stick it on an' clean off the marker.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:45 AM

993 posts, read 2,491,119 times
To remove the sticker, razor blade and Goo Gone for the adhesive works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio