Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I'm just wondering what the effects of those watering hours are on electrical usage across the area. Since many don't have programmable automatic watering systems and some people might get up early and turn on the outside lights before the sun comes up so they can water. Or do it in the evening after the sun sets...again more lights on then than usual too. Higher bills, more strain on the electrical grid? Also, how much money will S.A. rake in as far as fines?

Do you really need lights on to water??? I water before the sun comes up, there's enough moonlight to see usually. I never turn on the outside lights for watering.

As for the "idiots" who happen to be concerned about the long term consequences of water use, is it really so important that your lawn - in a DRY climate - be green? More important than having water to drink? To prepare food?
There's a reason we need to conserve NOW, before it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
"Sitting in front of neighbor's house with A/C on and idling.......". Anyone else wonder the "carbon footprint" is of the water police?
The statement I saw was "sitting in front of my neighbor's house", no mention of idling or a/c.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
I care. Am I the only one tired of a heavy handed person sticking their nose in my business being paid by my tax money?

Your business is not entirely your own unless you have your own private source of water - not well water, not aquifer water, but some magical source that comes from somewhere were taking it affects no one and no natural life.

Water is a common resource. Because too many people believe they have all rights to it, all the time, government has to step in to avoid complete destruction of that resource.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
The statement I saw was "sitting in front of my neighbor's house", no mention of idling or a/c.
"Idle", "in airconditioning", "city worker" just seemed like a natural progression. If wrong, I will admit it.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
It's 101*, the vehicle and gas are not his, that a/c and vehicle are running. Please.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I just saw a SAWS truck sitting in front of my neighbor's house. My neighbor's lawn is lush and green. All the time. Even now. Everyone else on the street waters legally and our lawns are not so lush and not so green. I'm not saying the guy's a water cheat but there is something going on over there. I'm hoping he's using that organic spray paint to keep his yard so green.
I share your skepticism, however, it is possible he's watering only on his alloted days. I didn't realize how much greener my lawn was until loads of people commented on it. I water no more than 1x/per week during stage 2 (Haven't watered at all since June 29), but it's zoysia in shade and doing just fine. Up close you can see a few patches, esp where the sun hits it, but from the street, it tends to look lush and green. Some areas do get a bit of a/c runoff water, but I mostly collect that. My bermuda in full sun is looking lousy, but I'm going to solarize that anyway and pull it out.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
Just adding something....Do the water police have gate access codes to be able to patrol the gated areas of the city? What about guarded entrances? Do the guards at the gate automatically let the water police in?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:09 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Just adding something....Do the water police have gate access codes to be able to patrol the gated areas of the city? What about guarded entrances? Do the guards at the gate automatically let the water police in?
Living in a gated community shouldn't make it easier to disregard the watering rules imposed on us.

I would assume the guards should let them in.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
If they are getting their water from SAWS then yes, they have to have access to their system...now whether they actually go in there is up for debate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar
The rules are the rules for a reason-Right? Really? Do you recall the Stage 1-4 water level heights five years ago? They have substantially been raised to a higher threshold. Why, I have my suspicions and none of them are the same as SAWS. Certainly none has anything to do with the sustainability of the aquifer to provide an endless supply of water to South Texas.
I think they raised the levels in order to maintain higher springflow, and in turn, higher river levels for downstream users...This is due to state requirements on environmental flows (maintaining healthy freshwater inflows into bays/esturaries)

If they don't have a time stamped photo of the violation, they have no proof!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
I was asking about the gated communities only because my work takes me there and I've noticed a lot of people watering during the off times and days....just saying....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio