Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:43 AM

47 posts, read 86,586 times

Advertisements

That's crazy! I have a nosy co-worker who is always complaining about her neighbor and called SAWS on them for watering their yard. I told her karma will get her...unfortunately, she's just one of those type of people that enjoys complaining...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
We did receive a notice if violation last year from SAWS and it said we would get our ticket in the mail but we never did. The letter had the date and time our sprinklers were on and who was patroling, ours was an off duty sheriff or sapd, I don't remember which.

I wasn't even going to try to fight it because it was correct, we were violating the rules, but didn't realize it. Hubs had been testing our sprinkler system briefly because we suspected a leaking pipe and instead of setting the time back to OFF he accidently set it back to AUTO, the settings are right next to eachother. A couple days later we noticed the setting and turned it off, but it was too late, we were caught, but like I said, we never got the ticket.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:31 PM

135 posts, read 551,076 times
Thanks for the info. I still haven't received my citation in the mail. I just want to know if they have some proof or not. I'm pretty darn confident my sprinkler system was not on. If anything was on, it was my drip irrigation, which does have microsprays for trees.

I'll be asking the judge for probation or something lenient. I converted my sprinkler zones from spray heads to drip irrigation myself. This involved digging holes to get to the underground pipes and replacing the sprinkler heads with caps (I later found out there is an easier way to do it). It took me a few days and lots of sweat and back ache. I did this all in the name of saving water! I'm doing my part! Don't fine me bro!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusQer View Post
Thanks for the info. I still haven't received my citation in the mail. I just want to know if they have some proof or not. I'm pretty darn confident my sprinkler system was not on. If anything was on, it was my drip irrigation, which does have microsprays for trees.

I'll be asking the judge for probation or something lenient. I converted my sprinkler zones from spray heads to drip irrigation myself. This involved digging holes to get to the underground pipes and replacing the sprinkler heads with caps (I later found out there is an easier way to do it). It took me a few days and lots of sweat and back ache. I did this all in the name of saving water! I'm doing my part! Don't fine me bro!
What easier way? I'm interested. Enlighten me!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Just adding something....Do the water police have gate access codes to be able to patrol the gated areas of the city? What about guarded entrances? Do the guards at the gate automatically let the water police in?
They don't have it to my community. For me the cost of water helps to reinforce the restrictions. I like a green yard, but in a summer like this one, the back yard is pretty much sacrificed to the sun. I hand water the front to keep up appearances and the plants.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:39 PM

135 posts, read 551,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
What easier way? I'm interested. Enlighten me!
You won't find it locally but online they sell a simple screw cap. You unscrew the sprinkler head assembly, and screw on the cap. Takes less than 30 seconds. It even has a 2" diameter rubber washer so you don't need plumber's tape. Mine are Rainbird, fyi.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 PM

7 posts, read 9,801 times
I water once per week and occassionally hand water, but I also use Hasta-Grow mixed with seaweed fertilizer/food in a 2 gallon pump sprayer, and spray my front lawn. It looks better than most of my neighbors that have sprinkler systems. I've also put lava sand down, which helps to retain moisture. You can't judge a person's water use by how nice their lawn looks.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:24 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Oh my god, y'all. The rules are the rules for a reason. We don't have an endless supply of water in San Antonio. You broke the rules, no matter how stupid they are. Now go pay your fine. I would.
THANK YOU....

As we all know or should know this Ordinance is in effect for a reason and it is not meant to be a money hungry / making scheme. There are many people throughout the San Antonio area who violate it daily and in my opinion they need to suck up any fines levied against them. Following the Ordince is pretty darn simple. Everyone, well almost everyone wants a nice green yard and doing our part will not deter us from having one.
It's a shame that SAWS and Bexar Met have to hire off duty Police, Deputy's, Park Police, to insure the Ordince is enforced. I hate the idea that my money is being spent to pay the Officer's because someone feels it is his or her right to water whenever they see fit.
By the way you'll see the SAWS Officer's in SAWS Vehicles...Tahoe's, Pickup's, Small SUV's, etc. So with that in mind you'll never know if it is the Water Police, Meter Readers, Inspectors, etc. driving down the street.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
If the fines they give out don't justify the water police payroll(which I would bet it does), then they need to dissolve the water police and just let all these good neighbors that turn in people do their "civic duty".

Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
So, they're guilty? Even though they're protesting it? They should have the right to argue this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio