Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:49 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,821 times

Advertisements

That sure is good news. I took a look and the website and seems like they certainly have a great choice. My favorite, however, was the pieces of limestone that they carved and made nice pieces with it. My second love is craftwork and I would be in heaven to find nice pieces like that on my very own property. I know that limestone is a soft stone and easy to carve.

One last question...if I were to purchase property that has cedar on it, wouldn't I be able to sell that off or have it chopped for fire wood? Isn't it a nice hardwood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 09:17 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Default Getting Rid of Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
...One last question...if I were to purchase property that has cedar on it, wouldn't I be able to sell that off or have it chopped for fire wood? Isn't it a nice hardwood?
Good question. However, I never had to deal with clearing cedar. Here is a local web site that will give you some good info:

http://www.brushchipping.com/CedarTrees.html

Old 09-04-2006, 02:26 PM

I took a look at the site, but was a little confused. It says to beware of CEDAR CHOPPERS, who offer to chop your cedar, for free...but it doesn't tell you why. Guess I'll start researching in that area. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:25 PM

Default Cedar Clearing

texasdreamin,

Concerning the cedar web site. I believe that they are just trying to tell you not to trust the ones that do it for free or for very little money. Nothing is free. Go a little deeper and you will see what type of machines they use and by the looks of it, not cheap. I would use these guys for large jobs (many acres).

Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
Texasdreaming, if ya want to get a piece of land you also need to be aware of all the oak wilt that is in central texas killing oak trees in mass. just google it and you will see what a problem is. Make me sad to see great parcels of land with all these dead trees in the hill country that I love and grew up in.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Oak Wilt

neddy,

Is oak wilt the only thing that kills the oak trees? How about Spanish moss?

texasdreamin,

Here are some pictures of oak wilt and what it does.

http://www.texasoakwilt.org/

Old 09-04-2006, 05:07 PM

Wow, that is so disheartening. Oak trees are one of my favorites. I remember them and the acorns, from when I was a child. Haven't seen one in Cali. Looking forward to having them on my property.

I hope I won't have to deal with the wilt. At least I know what to look for, when seeking land to purchase; howerver, if it should happen...I DO love my fireplace. I would use the dead wood, so it would not go to waste.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:24 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
Steelman, From everything I know Spanish moss won't kill. may not like it but won't kill. Oak Wilt is something else! Its a headache that is for sure. IF you want to do any pruning on a piece of land ask the local ag service when you can trim to reduce the chance of spreading cause the stuff does have a sort of "dormant" periods during certain months. I know out of the "season" they asked us not to clear anything

Old 09-04-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Spanish Moss

Thanks for the answer neddy. I see up close those cluster balls of Spanish moss (or maybe it is something else) and notice that the branch they're on appears dead (no leaves). However, the ball itself still appears to be alive when you pull it apart. I guess this is more of a parasitic-type plant. It is real noticeable on trees that appear dead with no leaves except these balls. Anyway you look at it, it's still an eyesore and shame for such large majestic trees.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 61,252 times
Default Medina Lake Land

I'm interested in buying a home and some land near Medina lake. Are there any established builders with ranches or such (home and 2+ acres, near other homes with 2+ acres, etc), or is it just an assortment of single homes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio