Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I heard on the news that e-book sales only account for 11% of the market, so they probably weren't the cause of Borders shutting down.

The E-Book Sees Market Share Increase, E-Book Sales Up 115%
e-Books were just a component of their failure. High interest debt load coupled with poor business decisions led to their demise.

I did read that Book-a-Million is picking up 30-35 (30 with an option for 5 more, none in SA) Borders stores saving around 1000-1500 jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 10:29 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
Sales weren't that great AT ALL, but by the time they actually mark everything down 40 percent, the only books left will be things like "The History of Pickles" or "Justin Bieber Explains the Global Financial Crisis."
. "Justin Bieber Explains the Theory of Relativity" is a real page turner however.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 PM

898 posts, read 2,895,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I wouldn't wait very long. Went today to use up an old gift card and it was pretty much armageddon. Books, puzzles, games were all thrown on top of one another. Looked like a bomb went off and the line to cash out was around the store. Sales weren't that great AT ALL, but by the time they actually mark everything down 40 percent, the only books left will be things like "The History of Pickles" or "Justin Bieber Explains the Global Financial Crisis."
that bums me out about lines around the store. I remember seeing that while we were closing down the wherehouse music store, and I thought, "where were you all before our going out of business sale. sad

Old 07-23-2011, 11:02 PM

229 posts, read 672,410 times
Well, I ended up going today, and it was pretty much chaos. The place was a mess, check out line was long, AC was off or very low because it was warm in there, and sales pretty much sucked. Some items were 30-40% off, but most, like fiction were only 10% off. I know its only the first week of sales, but by the time the sales get to be worth it nothing readable will be left.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:40 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Wasn't there a Book Stop in the Collanade in the late 80s near where the Egg & I is? I know there was a bookstore there I just cannot for the life of me what the name was. There was little ramp that led to the kids section that I adored. Your comment about Book Stop (if that was indeed the name) brought back some memories!
There was a Red Balloon children's bookstore at I10/Wurzbach at the Colonnade sometime in the 90's I believe.

The Bookstop was just a little further north in a different strip center along I-10. And before that, it was a little further north from that in the old building where Shenandoa Skating center was at. They even had the little curved "step" near the front of the store where the skating rink was lower. The last time I went to the skating rink was 1981. The first time I went to Bookstop was 1985, so I'm not sure when it opened. And it's hard to say when it moved down the road because it was in a similar location in the building and it felt kind of the same when you went inside. Probably early 90's. It was still there in the late 90's. But I can't remember when it closed.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
The sunset ridge bookstop closed in 2004 I think the San Pedro/Bitters one closed just about the same time. B&N had bought bookstop and with shut down the chain citing that the San Pedro and 410 store could provide better service than the two NC bookstops. As stated earlier it was quite a loss to the AH community and we most certainly just went to borders at the quarry not B&N.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There was a Red Balloon children's bookstore at I10/Wurzbach at the Colonnade sometime in the 90's I believe.

The Bookstop was just a little further north in a different strip center along I-10. And before that, it was a little further north from that in the old building where Shenandoa Skating center was at. They even had the little curved "step" near the front of the store where the skating rink was lower. The last time I went to the skating rink was 1981. The first time I went to Bookstop was 1985, so I'm not sure when it opened. And it's hard to say when it moved down the road because it was in a similar location in the building and it felt kind of the same when you went inside. Probably early 90's. It was still there in the late 90's. But I can't remember when it closed.
The curved step must have been the "newer" location you were talking about near Shanendoah that you're referring to. We went there all the time when I was like 4-10. As much as I love having things out this way now I miss the simpler days of having to drive to Wurzbach for everything.

Hopefully I won't have to drive too far for a bookstore now! I hate driving to La Cantera for B&N. It's not even a good bookstore. I have to walk so far just for a parking space. They need reserved spots just for bookstore shoppers.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 PM

I just drove past Wurzbach this morning. The place where the Egg restaurant is at now was the location of Bookstop in the 90's, as someone had asked about. The old place where Shenandoa skating was at in the early 80's, just past Pappasito's is now John Williams Interiors, which was Bookstop in the 80's.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:40 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Surprisingly I do not believe I have heard anyone sing the praises of Half Price Books. They fill a niche. I wonder how their bottom line is doing? SAPL anyone? I have visited both of these more than once this year.

I love Barnes and Noble over Borders. Borders was quite expensive. No surprise they were the first to go bust.

Must admit that most of the volumes I own were purchased through Amazon.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:44 PM

I'm surprised that so many people purchase stuff through Amazon. There is not much price difference, and you still have to pay 4 dollars even to ship a single item. I usually just purchase stuff from Amazon if there is a really good discount or it's something older that most stores don't carry anymore.

But I would think that most people would still go to a real store to buy a recent book. And they would visit a used bookstore first before resorting to Amazon. Just logically and cost-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio