Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,170 times

Advertisements

Just in case you didn't catch this news yesterday. Another victim of modern times, online retailers and e-books in this case.

Borders to close remaining stores - Business - Consumer news - Retail - msnbc.com

I hardly shopped there since Barnes & Nobles is much closer to me over here on the north side, but even though we enjoy our weekly trips to B&N its tough to support a brick and mortar store when the same product can usually be found cheaper online. We enjoy the perusal and discovery of visiting a store, but a myriad of smartphone apps can let you compare prices with other retailers on the spot. It's disheartening to find one of my $50 tech books for $39 on Amazon. In the end we usually just wind up purchasing my daughter's less expensive kids books.

Hopefully B&N will stay around longer now that it has less competition, but it is also in similar trouble.

Update:
Just went to mysantonio.com and saw this one:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...rs-1471377.php

Last edited by StanStelle; 07-19-2011 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Added another link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 AM

418 posts, read 784,299 times
Borders at The Forum was the nearest book store to my location.

I always enjoy browsing through a bricks 'n mortar book store; however,
I also have a Kindle that I find so cool.

No need to drive to the book store when I can browse thousands of books
on the Kindle, purchase and be reading the book in minutes from anywhere.

Despite that... I still like to browse a real store but I'm not driving all the
way down to Northwoods Mall for the Barnes & Noble which seems to be
their location nearest Schertz.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
That's a shame. I can't wait for the exciting new store. A Liquor Barn, Comet Cleaners, Nail Salon?

I still like paper bound books over e-books, even though I'm not a technophobe.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Such a bummer. The two I would usually stop at, Huebner Oaks and the Quarry were always crowded.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
I know, I love Borders. Shame they have to close.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Unfortunately they cut their own throat. They - for all intents and purposes - balked at the changing industry. I read one article that said they didnt even have a website until 2007. When the e-reader took off all they did was kind of dabble in it (by offering Sony readers) when Amazon's Kindle and later Barnes and Noble's Nook were taking off. Unfortunately when you choose not to adapt to a changing industry, you are sunk.

Barnes and Noble should survive because they started changing their model last year. They know there is a balance between electronic and brick and mortar and are in the process of finding that happy medium

Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,199 times
bummer. i got books dirt cheap at borders during college. half my collection today came from borders. funny though i never actually saw a borders since i moved here (only b&n and booksamillion.) how many were in san antonio?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Unfortunately they cut their own throat. They - for all intents and purposes - balked at the changing industry. I read one article that said they didnt even have a website until 2007. When the e-reader took off all they did was kind of dabble in it (by offering Sony readers) when Amazon's Kindle and later Barnes and Noble's Nook were taking off. Unfortunately when you choose not to adapt to a changing industry, you are sunk.

Barnes and Noble should survive because they started changing their model last year. They know there is a balance between electronic and brick and mortar and are in the process of finding that happy medium
B&N is not exactly financially healthy. They have been up for sale (like Borders was) since last year. If they don't find a buyer, they may be in the same hole.

Borders' Chapter 11 bankruptcy boosts Barnes & Noble, right? Wrong.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 AM

898 posts, read 2,894,412 times
I was kinda sad when I read the news. I worked at the Borders in the quarry when it first opened in 97. we filled the store. there wasnt even a parking lot yet. our grand opening was just in time for thanksgiving, who would have thought. after Borders i went to another store that is now history, wherehouse music.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
When do the freaking sales start? How steep will the discounts be? Insider info appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio