U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 AM

432 posts, read 3,419,780 times

Advertisements

My wife is considering getting an associate nursing degree from SACC.

She already has a Bachelor's in Fine Arts and teaching certification, but with the situation with the school districts she is underemployed at the moment

Based on the degree plan, she can get this degree is 1.5 years or less, as she already has all her basics covered.

Can you please let me know what the job prospects are upon receiving the degree, starting salaries, process of getting RN license, and nature of the work, here in San Antonio? Is the program at SACC good?

I have already done some research on the issue, but I would appreciate anything you can tell me so I have a better idea about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 AM

127 posts, read 259,116 times
Im not a nurse but i work at a local hospital and i know that they are looking for RNs with a BSN. Your wife should so to UTHSC if she is really serious. In fact i heard from my coworkers who are RNs that they are thinking to make the RN license require a BSN soon. I know nursing is very competative and one needs a 3.0 to enter nurisng school at UTHSC.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 AM

5,142 posts, read 12,217,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
Is the program at SACC good?
Yes and competition is fierce!
She can also try admission for these programs: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Education/pdf/APLIST.PDF since a second bachelor's degree in nursing won't be too far off.
The University of Texas Health Science Center - School of Nursing is very competitive as well.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 PM

3,489 posts, read 18,699,975 times
I think going to SAC and getting the RN is a good way to go. Then if she wants a BSN, she can go to the less competitive evening and part time classes to finish a BSN. Even UT and Incarnate Word would be good to get a BSN after getting the RN.
As for applying for the license, the school will assist with that. You can't sit for the exam without the school documentation of graduation.
Type of work and salaries are so varied depending on type of work and work setting. Hospitals pay high and pay higher for evening and night shift. ICU pays more than Labor and Delivery. Office nurse pays less. It has many variables in pay. Your wife will never go without work. There is such a critical shortage of nurses in the US, she can go anywhere and get a job.
The career is wide open and has a good outlook to stay that way.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:07 PM

21 posts, read 52,525 times
Default It's like you are talking about me!

I too had a BFA and teaching certificate, and could not find employment in any of the magnet schools. I decided to go into nursing and discovered that a BSN is a must. Most of the hospitals in town are striving for Magnet status, and due to that course of action most hospitals are wanting to hire BSNs and not diploma nurses. There are programs here in town that offer BSN: UTHSCSA, Incarnate Word, and Wayland Baptist University. I chose Wayland because it's more cost effective and offers smaller classes. I graduate in two weeks with a job already lined up. The classes are mostly adult students that are returning to get a different degree, or changing careers later in life. There are some younger students, but it's a pleasant mix.

Your wife must really go for a BSN in order to secure a future within a hospital system. A friend of my family has been an RN for over twenty years, and is being strongly forced into getting her degree by the hospital, if not, she may lose her position.

Best of luck to you guys!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 AM

22 posts, read 44,352 times
Starting in 2012, I know Methodist Hospitals will only be hiring BSN's going forward. Since your wife already has a bachelor's degree, she should look into UTHSCSA Accelerated BSN program. I was lucky enough to be a part of the inaugural class for this program and I graduate this August with my BSN. The program is 15 months long and very intense. Feel free to send me a DM if you have any questions.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM

18 posts, read 56,587 times
There's too much of a nursing shortage for Methodist Hospital to only hire BSN's. It aint gonna happen. Methodist is getting rid of hiring LVN's. Methodist wants to get Magnet Status, but is far, far from it actually happening. Recently the state had to come in and review charts, and the CEO recently "retired". The hospital does not care if that RN has his/her associates degree or bachelors degree.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,099 posts, read 35,469,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Yes and competition is fierce!
Seconded. A friend of my son's was unable to get into the SAC nursing program, despite having above-average grades and a strong desire to pursue a nursing career. She is going to another nursing school in town.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,351,768 times
She already has a BS (BFA?) if she is going to do all that work and end up with a BSN, which is pretty much the norm going forward at this point, why not step it up.

Welcome Center - School of Health Professions - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio

The University of Texas Health Science Center - School of Health Professions

Become a PA. If you look at it, the requirments would not be too much more than getting a BSN at this point. Perhaps a lot harder in terms of load and subject but timewise, not so much. On average PAs make a lot more money than BSNs.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM

432 posts, read 3,419,780 times
Thanks for all the information thus far.

I keep hearing that competition is fierce. Can you please elaborate on what you mean with that?

My wife got a 3.8 GPA with her BFA degree, graduated *** Laude and got top senior honors. Is that an easy entrance into the program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio