Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times

Advertisements

My husband is from the DC area, and he says most people move back to their original hometowns after DC because the cost of living is too high.

SA is nice. Most people enjoy it here. It is hot as Hades, but so is most of the South. Crime isn't as prevalent compared to other cities it's size. Mostly car theft and robberies. We are a friendly city. Welcome and realize there are more lovers than haters like First Class Flyer in the previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 PM

204 posts, read 336,204 times
Good luck with that. I've lived in DC and Alexandria, VA. San Antonio is a hick town compared to DC.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:23 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,141 times
Good luck with your move. I lived in Reston for 12 years before moving back to San Antonio. Yes you'll miss the ease and convenience of MetroRail but the lack of traffic here compensates for that. I am a diehard Redskin fan, so the toughest give for me was the ability to go to Fedex Field for games during the football season. For that you'll have to get Directv's Sunday Ticket.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 12,554 times
Thanks, everyone. I don't care aout the metro in DC at all - actually I hate it. I don't use it. So I won't miss it.

I guess I'm a little worried about finding a job for myself in SA - when I search around online, there are FAR fewer job listings in SA than there are here in DC. I'm also worried about what grf430 said - that SA is a "hick town" compared to DC....

Old 07-27-2011, 11:30 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser2 View Post
Thanks, everyone. I don't care aout the metro in DC at all - actually I hate it. I don't use it. So I won't miss it.

I guess I'm a little worried about finding a job for myself in SA - when I search around online, there are FAR fewer job listings in SA than there are here in DC. I'm also worried about what grf430 said - that SA is a "hick town" compared to DC....
It's not. The people are nice, they're friendly and helpful. No matter where you end up, it's pretty much as case of "you get as good as you give". You've got some wonderful suggestions right here in the thread you started.

Good luck to you and enjoy Texas!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,731 times
Native Virginian here from Springfield. Moved here in September 2008. Some things different from the DC Metro area that I have noticed:

-Car Insurance more expensive
-Housing is way affordable. ( I came from living with parents to buying a house a year a half after moving here.)
-Pick up trucks everywhere!
-People tailgate
-Construction projects take forever.
-How bout dem Cowboys.
-Hot and dry summers, amazing fall and springs.
-No state income tax

Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser2 View Post
I'm also worried about what grf430 said - that SA is a "hick town" compared to DC....
We are not as educated as the DC area, undeniably. DC is the capital of the free world and I would prefer it to be highly educated!

There are plenty college educated folk here, including myself. As with anywhere, you just find your niche and your local hangouts. But, we are friendly and welcoming.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM

584 posts, read 1,192,815 times
What type of employment/job are you looking for. Maybe we can direct you to particular employer websites so you can look at them directly.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:56 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
I lived north of DC for almost five years, you'll laugh at what we consider "rush hour traffic."

While there are a lot of things I liked about the Baltimore-DC corridor, there is no way I could ever live there again. It's too congested, too expensive and not worth it to me.

Yes, San Antonio is hot, it is southcentral Texas after all. But the folks are friendlier, the city more affordable, and there are a lot more fun activities to do here. Plus, we don't get those brutal winters with snow and ice, something I don't miss!

As for SA being a "hick town," I don't see it. Sure, people are more laid back here, and a lot friendlier; but to insinuate that it is ignorant or under-developed is far from the truth.

Oh, as for those recommendations not to move here; keep in mind that the place they'd rather you move to just arranged for $5.4 billion in loans from eight major banks to increase its cash reserves in case the Federal government can't continue to bail out its failed economy. That same "utopia" also has the most indebted individuals in America ($336,169 per person according to a MoneyWatch analysis of state-by-state debt statistic! ). Makes ya wonder how out-of-touch with reality those there must be to not realize the bad situation they're in!

Every place has its issues, but I for one would rather pick a state that has a relatively strong economy that hasn't been affected as badly by the national/global downturn than to move somewhere that the threat of a failed state government is a daily occurrence!

And we have over nine years of experience living here...

Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM

7 posts, read 12,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I lived north of DC for almost five years, you'll laugh at what we consider "rush hour traffic."

While there are a lot of things I liked about the Baltimore-DC corridor, there is no way I could ever live there again. It's too congested, too expensive and not worth it to me.

Yes, San Antonio is hot, it is southcentral Texas after all. But the folks are friendlier, the city more affordable, and there are a lot more fun activities to do here. Plus, we don't get those brutal winters with snow and ice, something I don't miss!

As for SA being a "hick town," I don't see it. Sure, people are more laid back here, and a lot friendlier; but to insinuate that it is ignorant or under-developed is far from the truth.

Oh, as for those recommendations not to move here; keep in mind that the place they'd rather you move to just arranged for $5.4 billion in loans from eight major banks to increase its cash reserves in case the Federal government can't continue to bail out its failed economy. That same "utopia" also has the most indebted individuals in America ($336,169 per person according to a MoneyWatch analysis of state-by-state debt statistic! ). Makes ya wonder how out-of-touch with reality those there must be to not realize the bad situation they're in!

Every place has its issues, but I for one would rather pick a state that has a relatively strong economy that hasn't been affected as badly by the national/global downturn than to move somewhere that the threat of a failed state government is a daily occurrence!

And we have over nine years of experience living here...
Hasn't Texas been operating on a deficit for awhile now though?

I'm not knocking TX, and lord knows DC is not setting an example for financial responsibility. But I am a little confused about that when people say TX is economically strong. (I'm genuinely asking about it, not putting TX down.)

And regarding TX not being affected by the recession - that is reassuring. I'm still concerned about finding a job for myself there though. When I search jobs online in DC, I get countless pages of results. The same searches in SA come up with less than a handful of results. Makes me nervous...

I guess if I were coming from somewhere other than DC, SA might look better in comparison. But coming from DC where jobs - especially gov't sector - are stable, I'm wondering if it's a wise move or not.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio