Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
What's funny about Sun Harvest is that they sell the same exact stuff as everyone else except it's marked up ~25%. And it's full of people agonizing over which 2 porkchops they want at the meat counter.
i don't know if you're only referring to meat, but everyone doesn't have bulk food. since my heb was downgraded to make room for, i'm not sure, more tortillas and clothing? sun harvest is one of the only other places near me that sells anything in bulk.

i also remember at one point, for example, mangoes were three for a dollar at sh, while they (the same ones?) were still 2 for a dollar at heb and walmart. heb also doesn't stock/re-stock certain items, which stores like sun harvest always have on hand at pretty much the same price.

so. i don't know, i guess it depends on what you're looking for and when, and what stores you usually go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,236 times
Sun Harvest - restock - yeah. Look at the dates on any packaged goods. A lot of times the items at Callaghan are dated BCE.

Lots of old crap on the shelves.

Arrowhead water for instance - went to Callaghan and they didn't have any. Another guy and I asked the manager who basically incoherent about stocking it. The 281 store has lots.

Tofu Cutie ice cream sandwiches. Callaghan out for two weeks. HEBs, 281, Greenfield - tons of them.

That store needs a purge.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,641,916 times
I'd disagree with the merchandise being marked up 25% on the Callaghan Rd. store!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM

898 posts, read 2,894,143 times
ha ha ha, just today my father came by with a couple of roasted chickens, and he said they were from sun harvest, so I notice the bags, they said sprouts, and the labels on the chickens said sprouts, and I ask him, you sure you went to sun harvest, and he says "yea, I went to sun harvest" I ask him so why does everything say Sprouts? so he looked at the bags, and said "damn, they do say sprouts" he went in, and walked out not even noticing..LOL

Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,518 times
I have a friend that is a vendor at both whole foods and Sun Harvest and she says its going to be a big improvement with Sprouts taking over.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:12 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,551,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
What's funny about Sun Harvest is that they sell the same exact stuff as everyone else except it's marked up ~25%. And it's full of people agonizing over which 2 porkchops they want at the meat counter.
The only other place I can find a lot of the products they stock is WHole Foods, and they're even more expensive.

I don't buy meat, so can't comment on that. But a lot of the packaged and vegan stuff can't be found elsewhere, except at WF (and some at Central Market). It's possible some HEBs carry some of this, but none in my area.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
The only other place I can find a lot of the products they stock is WHole Foods, and they're even more expensive.

I don't buy meat, so can't comment on that. But a lot of the packaged and vegan stuff can't be found elsewhere, except at WF (and some at Central Market). It's possible some HEBs carry some of this, but none in my area.
that's what i was thinking. i've never bought meat at any of the natural foods place, or cm, nor do i shop them as regularly as i do the HEBs near my house so i can't say much about the price, but i noticed that selection and such for meat seemed plentiful at SH and CM every time i went. where as i often see poor selection or insufficiently stocked meats at my local HEBs/WalMart. though that could be due to any number of things: the local HEBs are more trafficed than the natural food stores, time of day, dumb luck, etc. even if it is the same/cheaper at my local HEB, i can't buy it if it's not there, right?

it definitely depends on the store you go to to say they "stock the same things". i suppose if i lived on the n/ne side, HEBs there would have a more receptive market for items similar to the natural foods stores. that not being the case, and after witnessing seeing my local HEBs take steps BACKWARDS, i am pretty anxious for SH/sprouts to expand, hopefully pick up slack that many HEBs/Targets/WalMarts won't do (some do, but a lot don't)

Old 08-11-2011, 07:15 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,551,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
that's what i was thinking. i've never bought meat at any of the natural foods place, or cm, nor do i shop them as regularly as i do the HEBs near my house so i can't say much about the price, but i noticed that selection and such for meat seemed plentiful at SH and CM every time i went. where as i often see poor selection or insufficiently stocked meats at my local HEBs/WalMart. though that could be due to any number of things: the local HEBs are more trafficed than the natural food stores, time of day, dumb luck, etc. even if it is the same/cheaper at my local HEB, i can't buy it if it's not there, right?

it definitely depends on the store you go to to say they "stock the same things". i suppose if i lived on the n/ne side, HEBs there would have a more receptive market for items similar to the natural foods stores. that not being the case, and after witnessing seeing my local HEBs take steps BACKWARDS, i am pretty anxious for SH/sprouts to expand, hopefully pick up slack that many HEBs/Targets/WalMarts won't do (some do, but a lot don't)
Up until a year ago I did buy meat/fish fairly often. And generally, the quality was much better at Central Market than the HEBs in my area. Yes, more expensive, but definitely better quality. I'm not sure I ever bought meat at Sun Harvest, as I usually shopped there during lunch break. These days, I don't even bother with HEB, and just shop at CM most of the time, with occasional trips to SH/Sprouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio