Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:00 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
MI, I doubt you'll be happy here. In San Antonio we really don't care what color your skin is. What we see is the value of an individual. If you're from Michigan, it's nothing like you've ever experienced and you won't like it. We don't have areas of black people or Mexican or white. We learned to live together a long time ago which the people of Michigan still don't have a clue about. Yeah, I have family in Michigan- Detroit and Lansing. But if you want to come and be a part of a growing community of good people, this is the place but you need to leave the northern attitude at home or expect to be ignored and alone.
Here's the makeup of San Antonio as of 2008:
San Antanio Texas, San Antonio City Guide, San Antonio Information
Absolute BS and barely an inch from offensive. I'm definitely offended, but fortunately nowhere near as ignorant as you.
Thanks for sharing and letting us know who you really are. Now go back in your hole and stay there please!!

I personally can't wait to be back in Michigan in a couple days, where the people are good and they freaking know how to drive. It'll be a welcome relief from the rudeness and incompetence I have to deal with every day here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Oh, I dunno - actually, based on my own personal experiences in a number of northern cities, I'd say it's actually fairly accurate. In my experience, folks here in SA tend to care less what you are than who you are. If you're polite, considerate and friendly, they'll give it back to you five-fold.

Some folks seem to look for a reason to be disagreeable, to find offense where none is meant - and for them, nothing is ever good enough. I spent time in the military in places that many hated - yet I managed to find "good" aspects to focus on and came away with unique, positive memories. Life's like that - focus on the good and ignore the bad. You live a happier, more productive life that way.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:28 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Which is definitely something to be proud of, but that doesn't refute anything I've said.
They haven't left, more like assimilated into Texas/American culture. There hasn't been significant new immigration from Germany for 60 or 70 years.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:22 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Absolute BS and barely an inch from offensive. I'm definitely offended, but fortunately nowhere near as ignorant as you.
Thanks for sharing and letting us know who you really are. Now go back in your hole and stay there please!!

I personally can't wait to be back in Michigan in a couple days, where the people are good and they freaking know how to drive. It'll be a welcome relief from the rudeness and incompetence I have to deal with every day here.
Incompetence? Ignorant? Go back to your hole? If the said poster was rude, you are just "bringing it" as well!

I have a close friend who grew up in small town Michigan and lives here now. She frequently tells me the small town was cliquish and snobbish. They are quick to judge and prejudiced.

If you smile at someone in SA, they are 90% certain to return the gesture. Try it out.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:28 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendsley View Post
Oh really then because I don't hear people walking around everyday speaking German. I do hear Spanish everyday.
My grandfather spoke German as a child, WWII discouraged German-Americans from speaking German. He forgot it, and it was lost in many Texan-German families.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:30 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Hmm, could've swore that was aimed at someone that wasn't you, but thanks for your opinion. It's been filed...
BTW, comparing San Antonio with a small town in Michigan accomplishes what? Just about as much as blanketing an entire state as clueless racists. And you have a better chance of getting hit by a drunk than you do of getting a smile out of someone on the street. I smile and say hi all the time and rarely get anything in return. But I'm sure there's something wrong with me...

Old 07-26-2011, 04:04 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Someone needs to go back and review the history of SA, especially in the mid-1800's....

yes i am aware of that lol Im german/czech

Old 07-26-2011, 04:36 PM

127 posts, read 277,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
They haven't left, more like assimilated into Texas/American culture. There hasn't been significant new immigration from Germany for 60 or 70 years.
Germans only represent 9% of the population in San Antonio. not much here like there was 60 or 70 years ago.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Hmm, could've swore that was aimed at someone that wasn't you, but thanks for your opinion. It's been filed...
BTW, comparing San Antonio with a small town in Michigan accomplishes what? Just about as much as blanketing an entire state as clueless racists. And you have a better chance of getting hit by a drunk than you do of getting a smile out of someone on the street. I smile and say hi all the time and rarely get anything in return. But I'm sure there's something wrong with me...
I smile at random people all the time and usually get a favorable response.... buuut to be honest I think its cause I'm cuter than you.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
Why so concerned about race? Everyone fits in in San Antonio. We are not segregated lol Maybe you should visit and see for yourself?
For me it would be to keep up with our culture etc. I think this would be true for anyone.
I also find it funny that people who are with their race or around their race say... Why so concerned about race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio