Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,782,862 times

Advertisements

In regards to the filters, avoid the pleated gauze type filters. Yeah, they do filter better but it may slow down the air going into the unit by as much as 30%. Doesn't sound real bad but that can cause a unit to run extra cold at the coils and then it starts turning the condensation into ice. It doesn't take long and now you have a block of ice that the air can't get thru leaving you with a unit running but not cooling. If the unit is not freezing up, it's costing you more money to run because the unit works on the amount of air flow so it has to work longer= higher electric bill. If you need the extra filtration of allergens, use a cheap fiberglas filter and spray it down with Armorall. It doesn't take much but the tackiness of the Armorall will make the pollens stick to the glas media. I'd suggest changing monthly and when you change the filter, add a cup of Clorox to the drain line to keep mold and algae from growing in it and eventually plugging it up. Remember, an A/C unit can produce an average of 15 gallons of condensate a day. That's enough to do damage to the house if it isn't properly drained. Those with A/C units in the attic or upstairs, ALWAYS check the secondary drain pan. This is a pan under the air handler. The purpose of it is to catch water that cannot be drained out of the primary system because of an algae or mold build up in the drainline. This is a backup system and should you see water in the secondary drain pan, you have a major problem that needs fixing and quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 PM

89 posts, read 185,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
change your filter monthly, more if you smoke.
best advice anyone can give regarding ac

wrong. Thats the best advice one can give regarding a furnace/coil. What folks typicaly call a heater is a FAU (forced air unit) They normally have a burner to create heat but can run in fan only mode. Fan only mode is what the fau will run on when the a/c is on but the difference is the refrigerant wil begin cycling from the a/c to the coil (box that's attached to the furnace) thats where the cooling happens. The fau then blows that cold air through your duct. Thats air conditioning in short.

The best filter type is a hepa filter for particulate but some can restrict airflow.

On the condensate thing, the secondary drain should be over a window or near entry where its visible if its draining through the secondary. If it is you have a problem.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,678,993 times
I have one of these permanent Web air filters. You just rinse it once a month with the hose. And it works great.

My A/C is about 8 years old (and so is my filter)and the A/C service guy that comes still says my system looks brand new. They cant believe my system is 8 years old. The never even need to clean the coils. The technicians always ask what kind of filter am I using.

Besides being better, they are cheaper in the long run, they are only about $20 at home depot. You custom cut yours to the size you need.

Furnace Filters, AC Filters, Replacement Filter: WEB ECO Plus Permanent Electrostatic 1" Thick Filter, Extra Large Custom

Old 07-29-2011, 11:56 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,068,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Besides being better, they are cheaper in the long run, they are only about $20 at home depot. You custom cut yours to the size you need.

Furnace Filters, AC Filters, Replacement Filter: WEB ECO Plus Permanent Electrostatic 1" Thick Filter, Extra Large Custom
Thanks! I was just on my way to Lowe's to get the monthly a/c filter and finding it a waste to dispose them each month.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:58 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Please do post who is doing the work. I've had friends who got fleeced with the sales pitch to replace their unit when a simple repair, in warranty, was all that was needed. The practices of some predatory contractors is a disservice to the reputable ones...getting them all branded as disreputable.
Well, I found out a little more information. They had the entire system replaced--air ducts and everything. I think she even had some kind of air purifier put in. Why? I have no idea, but she is older, and as sweet as can be but a little batty. She was very happy with them (the company is Avanigo Air Maintenance). They did it all in two days. Apparently she got about 4 different bids, she said this was the second lowest. So...I dunno. I asked her about the warranty...her reply was to throw up her hands and say, "Who woulda honored it?" I wanted to say, "Um...Carrier?" but I just kept my mouth shut.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:49 PM

894 posts, read 1,534,794 times
Ducts and everything? That certainly sounds extreme. Hard to know what would motivate someone to go to such lengths for a system that just isn't that old.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:00 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,068,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Ducts and everything? That certainly sounds extreme. Hard to know what would motivate someone to go to such lengths for a system that just isn't that old.
Paranoia or something toxic was found.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:38 PM

431 posts, read 761,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Paranoia or something toxic was found.
they saw an old person and took advantage.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
they saw an old person and took advantage.
Which, if she's beyond a certain age is illegal. Go visit her with a carafe of coffee and see if you can get her to at least look into whether she was treated honestly.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
well, her 45 year old son lives with her and helps take care of the house. I'm sure that he approved whatever it was, as crazy as it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio