Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,878,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Yes plenty of suburbs: Alamo Heights, Balcones Heights, Bulverde, Castle Hills, China Grove, Cibolo, Converse, Garden Ridge, Elmendorf, Fair Oaks Ranch, Grey Forest, Helotes, Hollywood Park, Hill Country Village, Kirby, Live Oak, Leon Valley, Marion, Olmos Park, Schertz, Selma, Shavano Park, Somerset, St Hedwig, Terrell Hills, Universal City, Von Ormy, Windcrest. All of these are incorporated cities but none are on the scale of Arlington but Houston is more like SA and is not surround by giant suburbs.
Those are all tiny. And Houston may not have large incorporated suburbs, but areas like "The Great Northwest" along 290 have one million people. The City of SA is pretty much the entire metro area. The City of Houston is less than 50% of its metro area and Dallas is less than 50% of its metro division (Dallas-Plano-Irving). Haven't even added in Fort Worth-Arlington (bigger than Metro San Antonio). Can't compare Houston and DFW to SA.

L.A. getting closer and closer to getting the NFL back - latimes.com

Last edited by Trae713; 08-09-2011 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,085,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Those are all tiny. And Houston may not have large incorporated suburbs, but areas like "The Great Northwest" along 290 have one million people. The City of SA is pretty much the entire metro area. The City of Houston is less than 50% of its metro area and Dallas is less than 50% of its metro division (Dallas-Plano-Irving). Haven't even added in Fort Worth-Arlington (bigger than Metro San Antonio). Can't compare Houston and DFW to SA.

L.A. getting closer and closer to getting the NFL back - latimes.com
Tarrant is a little bigger than Bexar, and no San Antonio is not all the metro. 1.35 million city and a metro of nearly 2.3 million. Thats 58% of it's metro.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,222,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Tarrant is a little bigger than Bexar, and no San Antonio is not all the metro. 1.35 million city and a metro of nearly 2.3 million. Thats also 50% of it's metro.
We're the 7th largest city and the 25th largest metro. That's quite the spread and comparably speaking to most large cities, our metro is indeed small.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 PM

Its the 24th largest metro as of 2011 and is not far from eclipsing three other metros so its only a few years from breaking into the top 20.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 PM

I guess Denver, Cleveland, Portland, Pittsburgh, are all small metros as well. SA is bigger than Cleveland now and on Portland, Pittsburghs and Denvers tail and should surpass these metros pretty soon.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:32 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,796,394 times
San Antonio right now has better luck getting an MLS franchise.

Much, MUCH better luck...

Right now, all the focus to another city in this country having an NFL team is all pointing to L.A., and they already have two up to date stadiums in plan at least.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:27 AM

927 posts, read 1,384,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
Please folks, you'll be waiting for 2 NFL teams to be in LA before SA can even begin to dream. The stars are starting to align for the first team here:

LA council passes framework deal for NFL venue - ESPN Los Angeles

Unfortunately, most of you will be gone (as in, dead) before SA is even thought of for a team. Harsh reality.
Not likely wife. The population trends point to a third Texas team way before I'll be dead. Texas and especially South Central Texas, no pun intended, is already huge and is growing as fast as any region in the country.

I think most Angelenos will be dead and buried before you'll see a second NFL team out there. Let alone one. Remember what happened in 1999 with Houston? Los Angeles was a shoe in to get an NFL team but it didn't work out that way.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Ahhh..the smell of hope. You keep hoping there, my friend. The NFL is determined to place 2 teams in LA and times have changed. It's no longer 1999. You'll be dead and buried before any team moves to SA.
SA sucks on so many fronts. Don't get me started.
Ugh. The foul stench of arrogance. Your pot shots at San Antonio doesn't change the fact that both LA and SA are in the same boat wife. Neither has an NFL team. And as far as a new stadium in Los Angeles for an NFL team? I'll believe it when I see it. Your environmental kooks will take of that idea soon enough. Why do you think a major project like an NFL stadium has not been completed in California in several decades?

And I don't have the hours required to describe how much of a toilet Los Angeles is. Just open up a window and take a breath of that fresh, clean smog. That'll give you an idea.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Hehe. I agree with you wholeheartedly. LA is a toilet. I don't live in LA and would never. I did live in SA for a few years and definitely know of what I speak.
I'm just stating reality, which you obviously cannot handle. I know it's painful, I know.
Listen wife, can you add something that pertains to the topic here. This back and forth over which city is better accomplishes nothing and detracts from the main subject.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,796,394 times
Well like I said, the focus is mainly on L.A. now, but I DIDN'T say it wouldn't be so long before San Antonio got a team. I also didn't say L.A. would get two teams before San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio