Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,973,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Believing that San Antonio could not sell 150 or 200 skyboxes is completely ridiculous. There are over 20,000 businesses both large and small, law firms, doctor's offices and a multitude of just plain wealthy individuals in San Antonio that would chomp at the bit to buy a skybox for a local NFL team. And I mean the NFL specifically. The best of the best of sports leagues.
Have you priced luxury boxes lately? Based on the size of the firms named on boxes at the ATT Center, I doubt that the potential market numbers in the hundreds, let alone 20,000. I also doubt that NFL boxes will cost any less than NBA boxes. Maybe the Steves family and the Goldsbury family will buy an NFL box just for the lulz of having one, but I am highly, highly skeptical that families'll stick around long if the team is below .500 for a few years.

Quote:
Pro soccer, if you want to call it that, is doomed to fail in San Antonio. Not enough true soccer fans here. MLS succeeds in very large, very cosmopolitan cities with lots of immigrants from a wide variety of countries. Cities like New York and WDC are in this category.
Columbus?

Similar TV market. Similar number of corporations. Only one other major league pro team in town besides the MLS/Crew.

I see enough parallels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 PM

927 posts, read 1,384,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Have you priced luxury boxes lately? Based on the size of the firms named on boxes at the ATT Center, I doubt that the potential market numbers in the hundreds, let alone 20,000. I also doubt that NFL boxes will cost any less than NBA boxes. Maybe the Steves family and the Goldsbury family will buy an NFL box just for the lulz of having one, but I am highly, highly skeptical that families'll stick around long if the team is below .500 for a few years.

Columbus?

Similar TV market. Similar number of corporations. Only one other major league pro team in town besides the MLS/Crew.

I see enough parallels.
You clearly do not understand the dynamics and shear popularity of NFL teams in general. NFL teams are tremendous draws in their respective markets skyboxes included. To say that a sub .500 team would not draw in San Antonio because it would be a sub .500 is complete conjecture and probably not accurate at all. San Antonians love pro football as evidenced by their blind following of the Dallas Cowboys over the years. No, it is clear that San Antonio would support an NFL team and would continue to do so for a long time.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:49 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,307,427 times
well the NBA teams the Spurs and Mavericks have a huge state rivaly with eachother, i'm sure San Antonio would like it's own team to rival the Cowboys, since the Cowboys are located in the sameplace where the Mavericks are

Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,404,864 times
Well as long as the foolish people who enjoy driving down to see the cowboys practice we will never get anything, Jerry Jones sees the city as dumb idiots who are happy with watching the BS at the dome. He has said he would never vote for a team in SA, but the suckers want to give him money anyway for his pockets. I think he could care less about the dumb cowboy fans since he will not even schedule a pre-season game in SA, but hey he has them here for practice. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 PM

436 posts, read 1,344,178 times
Can someone please tell me if the comparison of poverty between SA, Dallas and Houston is for each city proper? I mean, Houston and Dallas both are surrounded by suburbs and that's where a good chunk of the money is. Dallas proper may have a 22% level but the suburbs sure don't. SA is a larger city than Dallas proper...has been for years. San Antonio has very few suburbs. Do they have any suburbs? Does Boerne count? That's why SA is the only large city I can think of that still has one area code. When someone calls me and doesn't leave an area code, I figure they're from SA.

Fact is, Houston and Dallas are apples and SA is oranges. Can't compare SA to either Dallas or Houston on pretty much anything unless it's by MSA.

Sure, SA, get a football team. Go for broke!

Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 AM

624 posts, read 900,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Can someone please tell me if the comparison of poverty between SA, Dallas and Houston is for each city proper? I mean, Houston and Dallas both are surrounded by suburbs and that's where a good chunk of the money is. Dallas proper may have a 22% level but the suburbs sure don't. SA is a larger city than Dallas proper...has been for years. San Antonio has very few suburbs. Do they have any suburbs? Does Boerne count? That's why SA is the only large city I can think of that still has one area code. When someone calls me and doesn't leave an area code, I figure they're from SA.

Fact is, Houston and Dallas are apples and SA is oranges. Can't compare SA to either Dallas or Houston on pretty much anything unless it's by MSA.

Sure, SA, get a football team. Go for broke!
Yes plenty of suburbs: Alamo Heights, Balcones Heights, Bulverde, Castle Hills, China Grove, Cibolo, Converse, Garden Ridge, Elmendorf, Fair Oaks Ranch, Grey Forest, Helotes, Hollywood Park, Hill Country Village, Kirby, Live Oak, Leon Valley, Marion, Olmos Park, Schertz, Selma, Shavano Park, Somerset, St Hedwig, Terrell Hills, Universal City, Von Ormy, Windcrest. All of these are incorporated cities but none are on the scale of Arlington but Houston is more like SA and is not surround by giant suburbs.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:35 PM

392 posts, read 746,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Yes plenty of suburbs: Alamo Heights, Balcones Heights, Bulverde, Castle Hills, China Grove, Cibolo, Converse, Garden Ridge, Elmendorf, Fair Oaks Ranch, Grey Forest, Helotes, Hollywood Park, Hill Country Village, Kirby, Live Oak, Leon Valley, Marion, Olmos Park, Schertz, Selma, Shavano Park, Somerset, St Hedwig, Terrell Hills, Universal City, Von Ormy, Windcrest. All of these are incorporated cities but none are on the scale of Arlington but Houston is more like SA and is not surround by giant suburbs.
I dunno if I really consider a bunch of enclaves as suburbs... They're basically just neighborhoods that didn't wanna pay the same taxes as the rest of the city. Sure, some of those are suburbs, but this isn't really the biggest metro area in the world. You did, however leave out the biggest one of all, which is New Braunfels, which is a decent-sized town. Seguin would be a suburb too. I still think we're big enough for a friggin' NFL team.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:42 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,502,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
The city paid 50k for this lame study.

San Antonio is the 24th largest metro, nearly 2.3 million people and continually growing.

Yeah and the top 16 largest Metro's carry the bottom 16 largest Metro's...

San Antonio has more F500 and a corporate base than many MLB and NFL cities. Hmm, lets see, San Diego, Phoenix, Miami, New Orleans, Nashville, (equal)Charlotte, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Green bay, lada lada lada have a smaller corporate base than San Antonio. S.A.

You forgot about Jacksonville Fl.( NOW the Metro's) of San Diego , Phoenix , Miami Fl. are far toooo large for San Antonio to compete against...all of the other Metro's are around San Antonio size , but get carried by the other big metro's with the exception of GREEN BAY..because GREEN BAY FANS are out of their's mind FANS.....
San Antonio will never match the passion of Green Bay Fans.

also has a higher median income than Dallas and Houston by several thousand dollars.

That's a positive for San Antonio TX..... , but both Dallas and Houston depend on their's suburban populations to carry their's big league teams....

So the city wasted 50k for bad info.

Of course we need a new venue for MLB or transform and build on the Alamodome. This Dallas Cowboy training camp whatever is nice and all but Im not a fan, we need our own NFL team. I would love to go to a San Antonio vs dallas Cowboy game. It would be just as intense or even more so than a Spurs-Mavs game
Knock your self out and get a big league team , then you will understand why a lot of smaller market teams are try to sell their's franchises......LOL

Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 PM

18,045 posts, read 25,094,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Yes plenty of suburbs:.....
All of these are incorporated cities but none are on the scale of Arlington but Houston is more like SA and is not surround by giant suburbs.
Pasadena (Houston) has 150,000 people.
What suburb of San Antonio has anything close to that?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,146,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
What about Green Bay? That's definitely a small market!
The city itself became the owner of the team back when the NFL was a novelty otherwise it would have been moved long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio