Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM

418 posts, read 784,563 times

Advertisements

Well, it seems the health effects of smoking have been well established.

But, I'm not much of a complainer about 2nd hand smoke... I just tend
to avoid those places where I know there will be that 2nd hand smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
And govt. has been imposing themselves in citizen's lives since it was established so nothing new. Get over it and take that smoke outside!
When the government says that you cannot drive with ANY percentage of blood alcohol and they have the technology to routinely tell if you have ANY alcohol in your system will you be willing to stand outside at the bus stop waiting for a bus or pay taxi fare to go to and from these bars that you are going to be spending so much time in? After all it's just our government imposing themselves on us. It's nothing new.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
When the government says that you cannot drive with ANY percentage of blood alcohol and they have the technology to routinely tell if you have ANY alcohol in your system will you be willing to stand outside at the bus stop waiting for a bus or pay taxi fare to go to and from these bars that you are going to be spending so much time in? After all it's just our government imposing themselves on us. It's nothing new.
I do that already. It's called making a small sacrifice for the good of the health and safety of myself and others. Take the smoke outside already.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 PM

89 posts, read 185,931 times
This is the problem with our country. Government meddling into everybody's lives. Let the customers and business owners hash it out. Im not big on 2nd hand smoke. My dad smoked and blew smoke all over me my whole childhood. If there was a restaurant where people were smoking and another that the owner didnt allow it, i'd go to the non-smoking restaurant. That's just me, some folks might chose to to go to the smoking restaurant. Is that so hard? Why does the govenment ever need to be involved?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 AM

431 posts, read 765,957 times
what is so wrong with giving the business the choice to allow smoking or not?

if you dont want to go to a bar that allows smoking then dont. just like if you dont like the music being played in the bar.
and as far as bars going out of business look at corpus, the smoking banned killed many many bars in that town. now 95% of the LOCAL bars are owned by the same 3 guys. san antonio is not like Houston or austin. we are closure to corpus than anything. but this is a mute point viva government

Old 08-04-2011, 03:35 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
After all these years, I can finally go out again!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:43 AM

56 posts, read 117,911 times
I don't smoke and never have.. and have never cared if and where other people do. They did this in VA where I used to live to, but we aren't bar people and don't go out to eat too often. My wife smokes, but can wait till after dinner.. but still, shouldn't have to. At least here it never gets even slightly unwarm in my opinion so going outside if one is hanging out someplace for a prolonged period and needs one isn't as horrible as in a place where it is chilly and rainy alot. Bars and clubs and places specifically designed to be adult venues should get a pass on these silly laws though.. be able to post "This is a free to smoke establishment and entering here indicates you consent to not be whiney about it" or something to that effect. Restraunts and family places especially I can see it, but still, an out of the way smoking section where feasable is not going to kill anybody.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I do that already. It's called making a small sacrifice for the good of the health and safety of myself and others. Take the smoke outside already.
Good for you. Will you be willing to take that sacrifice just a little bit further and only drink in your home because our government decided to outlaw drinking in public? Thereby outlawing bars because some outspoken people did not want them in their neighborhood or town or city or nation. Can we take that sacrifice just a little teeny bit further and not drink alcohol at all because our government decided to outlaw it because some outspoken group does not like it? After all, it's just making a small sacrifice for the good of all.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post

City-Wide Smoking Ban To Begin Soon - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/28744283/detail.html - broken link)

I will put this here again. We aren't talking about restaurants we are talking about bars, pool halls, comedy clubs, etc. It isn't like smokers are being banished to the depths of hell to smoke. They merely have to walk outside a door. Laws like these are passed b/c it concerns the health of the general public. I don't think anyone can argue the negative health impact of smoking and secondhand smoke. That has been documented for years now. Cigarettes aren't going away b/c big tobacco and politicians have a beautiful relationship and always will $$$$. And to say you cannot have ANY % of alcohol in your system is wrong. You can have alcohol in your blood as long as it is not over .08 which is different for everybody. For me due to my height, weight, and so on I can go to a bar and drink 5 beers and not be over .08. The via bus for a ride home!?!? Never...I would walk before getting on that POS.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 AM

179 posts, read 468,762 times
I just don't like governments restricting liberties. Have governments been in peoples lives since their inception, yes. Have the people fought back by speaking out, protesting and in some cases revolution, YES. Somebody said to just accept it. To me, it is a shame to be so complacent as to accept whatever the government says you should do. The government only looks out for you when it is their best interest. Right now its cigarettes. What happens when it is a something you like or believe in. Religion has, since its inception, proven to be a deadly habit. Maybe public prayer should be next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio