Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 AM

370 posts, read 882,267 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

As a new transplant to San Antonio from Chicago I was really put in a spot yesterday while taking a walk in Alamos Heights on E. Terra Alta Ave just West of N. New Braunfels Ave.

Someone's doggies, (one was a mix-with a Pit Bull or Akita Head) ran out of their driveway across the street snarling and growling and hackles up to me full speed. Phew.

Did my knees knock? YES.

Luckily a SUV came by and slowed down enough not to hit the dogs in the middle of the street as I was swatting my purse at the dogs.

However I leaned into the SUV and motioned for the driver to roll down the window, hoping for some brief relief from my fear.

However the driver not only did not roll up the window but, the closer I got the the handle, Fear in my eye and asking "ma'am" help...she sped off down the street with me trying to jog alongside to keep the vehicular sheild as long as possible.

So, what I wonder is...how on earth could this SUV driving lady think that it was perfectly acceptable to leave a fear stricken woman there in the middle of the street with two snarling dogs?

Sigh, and I thought Chicago had it bad with fatal Pit Bull attacks!

I went right home, got into my car and drove back to the house and called 311 to make a complaint.

There is no doubt that if the 'not nice' lady didn't drive by that I'd have been hurting.

There is also no doubt that if I was a young child on a bicycle that there would have been MAJOR trouble.

Gen-sigh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 05:10 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Sorry to hear that happened to you, must have been scary. Unfortunately, the lady in the SUV was probably more concerned about her OWN safety and the safety of maybe her kids in the car? It made me think how I would react to someone running up to my vehicle, and yeah, I would probably take off, too. It's not easy to admit, but in this day and age you just never know what's going on. She maybe didn't take the time to analyze the situation--her adrenaline kicked in and off she went. Not saying she was right, just saying she was probably just as scared as you.

Anyway, take a stick with you when you walk. Most people that I pass walking have one for protection. And I've always been told that if a dog is running at you to attack, you are supposed to lunge back at them and bare your own teeth and they will retreat. I've done that myself just to keep dogs at bay, but thankfully it's never been a pit bull--not sure how they react. I have a huge fear of that breed and I know there are pit bull supporters out there that will defend them, but they scare me.

But remember, it's not Alamo Heights or San Antonio that did that to you--it was a DOG!!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:40 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
I can't even blame the dog; it was someone who lived in the area that let the dog run loose, a very serious problem. Once again, a human is really to blame.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I can't even blame the dog; it was someone who lived in the area that let the dog run loose, a very serious problem. Once again, a human is really to blame.
I have to agree that the owner is responsible. But, Pit Bulls are aggressive dogs, and I doubt the owner allowed it to run loose. Chances are it got out of the yard by accident. That being said, the owner is STILL responsible. Gen....you did the right thing by reporting this. I have to agree with Sapphire that the SUV person probably wasn't paying enough attention to understand you needed shielding.

Not all Pit Bulls are dangerous and aggressive, but it's best not to take chances. When my children were very little, we leased a home for a short time and our neighbors had a pit bull that chewed through their stockade fence. It got out of the fence on several occasions...once growling and staring my 4 year old daughter down from 4 feet away! We moved because the owners of our house did not disclose that there was an aggressive dog next door. We called the city and found that a number of reports had been made against this dog so they knew fully well that there was a problem.

Gen....I suspect you're taking a new walking route this morning?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
FYI, it's Alamo Heights, not Alamos Heights.

A similar thing happened to my mother while she was walking with her dog in Monte Vista. Luckily, a workman at a nearby home heard her yelling and came out with a 2x4 and a rope and chased it off.

I second bringing along a walking stick when you go out. Even picking up a fallen tree branch and carrying that is useful.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
water works excellent.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
or a 9mm...

It is the owners fault and they should be held 100% accountable. I'm all for jail time for irresponsible people.
The dog whisperer is a great show to watch if you want to learn how to become the boss to any dog. I have four dogs and have used quite a few tricks from the show on them. They already knew I was the boss, but now it's even more clear to them... They'll respect anyone that dominates them. It's how they are

Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,434 times
I heard that in October a new law was taking effect that no dog could be left outside on a teather(chain,rope).Anyone else heard about this?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 PM

11 posts, read 44,018 times
Default Dogs on a chain

Sorry that you were frightened, I can empathize.

About the dogs on chains and tethers... I believe that this makes the animals more agressive. Possibly because they don't have a safe place, exposed all around, and thus defend their territory ferociously. Anyone have any theories or knowlege? My dogs are in a kennel. At one time I chained my black lab while landscaping was going on. When a teen age girl invaded his circu****ence, he nipped her and tore her pant leg! I was horrified! No skin was affected, but I had never seen him act that way. He was also nuetered, which made it even more astounding!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
The Dog Whisperer says keeping a dog on a chain or rope makes them neurotic and angry, because they get bored, and then they become highly territorial of their tiny little circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio