Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:19 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,421,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
I'm baaaaack. I did finally move to West Creek. I am not sure how everything works here yet, but I like the area. Unfortunately the home I am in is smallish and I can only host small Lan Parties. I would consider one probably in january after the holiday rush if anyone is interested or make arrangements to help host one at another location. I do have switches and cables and other odds and ends.

Squidlo

Have you checked out the community center yet? There's plenty of room for a small LAN party there - I was at the Goodwill store the other day and found some nice (older) switches and routers for cheap...I should have grabbed them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 06:16 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
Have you checked out the community center yet? There's plenty of room for a small LAN party there - I was at the Goodwill store the other day and found some nice (older) switches and routers for cheap...I should have grabbed them!
Been real busy unpacking and doing holiday stuff. I will get over there soon I need to get my resident ID to use the community resources. I have 1 24 port switch and several smaller switches. I have cables and the ends to make more just need a box of cable. COD 4 looks good and I've just bought it, we will see if it is lan worthy. Guys keep an eye on this thread. I may host a small LAN at my home soon, lot of interested noobs (easy targets) maybe we can get a dedicated group going.

Squidlo

Old 11-23-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Since you're new I'm not sure if you've seen this place:
mygamelot.com - Home

I've never been but my son has been begging me to take him. He's really wanting to play games online and I haven't let him yet. My older son's dream is to open a cyber cafe here in town, but coming up with the capital needed for that is pretty daunting.
I've considered the Net Cafe business myself. I'd prefer a more adult oriented approach. Serve beverages,snacks, ect and provide small business support. Gaming would be there, just not taking over the place. Its good clean fun and we stay out of trouble while we blast away in cyber space.

Squidlo

Old 11-23-2007, 10:04 PM

Well if you guys are into coffee houses with wifi, I'll recommend my friends at Sips and More, on Potranco, next to Dollar General. Good food and coffee, and free wifi...we usually hit the place up at lunch.....

Old 11-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
Well if you guys are into coffee houses with wifi, I'll recommend my friends at Sips and More, on Potranco, next to Dollar General. Good food and coffee, and free wifi...we usually hit the place up at lunch.....
My love of coffee gives me away as a native of the pacific northwest. I have to get a laptop to do the coffee bar wifi experience. Some ubergeeks with highdollar laptops could probably do impromptu mini lans in such a place. That is until they boot us out for camping for hours .

Squidlo

Old 11-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
The San Antonio Linux Users Group would be a good place to discuss various flavors of Linux. I haven't attended a meeting, but when I sought help for a Linux setup issue, I was told it was a good group by a technician at the repair shop I used.

SATLUG.ORG - San Antonio Linux Users Group

Old 11-25-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The San Antonio Linux Users Group would be a good place to discuss various flavors of Linux. I haven't attended a meeting, but when I sought help for a Linux setup issue, I was told it was a good group by a technician at the repair shop I used.

SATLUG.ORG - San Antonio Linux Users Group
Bowie,Thanks for the link.

Also I noticed the computer "show" in Live Oak. I have friends who need cheap computers. Perhaps I can get the parts cheap enough to build them as gifts . BTW I love Ubuntu.

Squidlo

Old 11-30-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Bowie,Thanks for the link.

Also I noticed the computer "show" in Live Oak. I have friends who need cheap computers. Perhaps I can get the parts cheap enough to build them as gifts . BTW I love Ubuntu.

Squidlo

San Antonio Computer Show and Super Sale - a guy named Jim runs the show. A decent 'fair' so to speak, lots of good deals to be had....

Old 12-14-2007, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,451 times
Default Lan Center for PS3/Xbox/wii

Would anyone here go to a store that was like a lan center but with systems rather than pcs? If there were contests weekly? How much per month would you be willing to pay for unlimited play during operating hours?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 AM

422 posts, read 1,450,325 times
Ahh...squidlo. Let's do this. I must build a new rig now. I'm downloading cod4, unreal tournament 3, witcher, hellgate, before I make up my mind on which one i want to spend 50 bucks on. Keep us posted on the lan.

as far as a Lan center with systems, not sure if I'd go.

As far as contest. One cool idea would be to cap a budget on a new system. and see who can get the highest bench marks on a pc they just built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio