Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,141 times

Advertisements

This study result flys in the face of the results of the pro sports study recently done on behalf of the city. Actually I should say that it flys in the face of the negative article that the SA Express-News released ten days ago about the ability of San Antonio to support an NFL team. The $78.4 billion dollar figure quoted in the article further validates that San Antonio is indeed capable of supporting an NFL team. The GDP figure actually places San Antonio as the 29th largest economy of 366 towns and cities in the US. Which overall, is great news. This indicates that the San Antonio economy is large, prosperous and becoming more so every year.

Additionally, from what I understand the NFL has a bottom threshold of about 74 billion dollars in GDP figures for a city to be financially qualified to support NFL football. This latest update on San Antonio's personal income figures for area residents passes this financial threshold by a wide margin. And while San Antonio's per capita income is lower than many NFL city's income levels the overall GDP numbers make up for that lower per capita income number. Meaning, that there are more than enough people here in the San Antonio area who could readily and consistently afford NFL tickets. This report bodes well for those like myself wishing to see the NFL and eventually MLB come to San Antonio. It also bodes well for the area economy itself and its working residents in general.

San Antonio ranks 29th in personal income - San Antonio Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 PM

204 posts, read 336,204 times
Here we go again..

SA is not getting an NFL team.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,559 times
We're the 7th largest city and the 25th largest metro. Being 29th in terms of GDP is pretty mediocre at best, especially when you consider tourism makes a pretty large contribution to our local economy. IMO, the article kinda reiterates the reason why we don't have a second professional team.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:22 PM

21 posts, read 37,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Additionally, from what I understand the NFL has a bottom threshold of about 74 billion dollars in GDP figures for a city to be financially qualified to support NFL football.

This latest update on San Antonio's personal income figures for area residents passes this financial threshold by a wide margin.
Who invented that number? And how very convenient SA clears it by a whopping $5 billion. (BTW, GDP is not the same as personal income).

Additionally, if all you need for an NFL team is "$74 billion" in GDP, does that mean Houston can support 3.808 NFL teams? New York can support 13.919 NFL teams?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
Its not GDP its metro personal income. San Antonio is a low cost of living city with higher median and per capita income than Phoenix and many other NFL cities. Whoever says SA cant support NFL needs a good slap in the face, and I will gladly administer it. SA's metro personal income is almost 79 billion not 74. Add Austin's 66 Billion and that only reinforces the region.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuul View Post
Who invented that number? And how very convenient SA clears it by a whopping $5 billion. (BTW, GDP is not the same as personal income).

Additionally, if all you need for an NFL team is "$74 billion" in GDP, does that mean Houston can support 3.808 NFL teams? New York can support 13.919 NFL teams?
You miss the point entirely. And no the $74 billion figure is not some arbitrary number I came up with on my own. It's taken from a report done on NFL league expansion and or relocation. I didn't have the link handy at the time of the creation of this thread but I'll try and dig it up.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 AM

89 posts, read 185,899 times
I think the most important thing about san antonio getting an nfl team is...What would you name it?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtimelevi View Post
I think the most important thing about san antonio getting an nfl team is...What would you name it?
That is whole other topic. I believe there are a couple of threads on that subject.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
It will not happen because the Dallas Cowboys will veto the team before it ever happens. The Cowboys belive that San Antonio is part of their market and wouldn't want to take the income loss.

Does it really matter if we can support NFL or not?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
It will not happen because the Dallas Cowboys will veto the team before it ever happens. The Cowboys belive that San Antonio is part of their market and wouldn't want to take the income loss.

Does it really matter if we can support NFL or not?
That brings up an interesting point MattTx. In order for the NFL to approve a relocation or an expansion it would take 24 owner votes. Not a unanimous one. So, even though Jones wields great power around the league his vote would still count as only one. He couldn't "veto" a move even if he tried.

This belief around here that Jones is some kind of God or President of the NFL is total baloney. He's one owner of 32. That's it. If the league wants to put a franchise in South Texas it will do so. With or without Jones approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio