Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:12 AM

361 posts, read 924,912 times

Advertisements

This is no proposal.

They ALWAYS get what they want no matter how angrily people react at public hearings. They don't care. The public is infinitely rich and can be plundered ad infinitum as far as they're concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM

299 posts, read 608,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
We subsidize corporate America too as taxpayers, don't we?! Yes we do. Most Americans would say the elderly earned their right to a discounted ride. There are many who are barely making ends meet.

VIA has bus drivers making 100,000 a year in overtime pay, yet...they see the need to trim by taking away a discount that many low-income seniors depend on.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Really? How many hours of overtime were worked by that driver? And what percentage of that overtime vs the total man-hours worked straight-time by VIA drivers? There's ALWAYS going to be some overtime - if not, then they're severely overmanned - which is an even GREATER waste - something most businessmen understand.
Yeah, ovetime will happen but when it's approacing 100,000 that's insane.

Quote:
*If* I receive a deduction, it is because it is in acknowledgement of an *investment* in a piece of equipment, etc - which is nothing more than a reduction of the amount of money the government extracts from my efforts in business, without them lifting a finger. It may well be that the deductions might be more than your annual income - but without my investment, folks may not have jobs that produce an economic benefit.
True but my point being that in some way shape or form whether it's public transporation, or taxcuts to small businesses or corporations, or tax incentives for companies to move their jobs to SA, there is a system in place that we ALL benefit from in some way. Some benefit more than others, others, not so much but everyone gets something in some way.

Quote:
I've said it every way I can - while I don't mind helping, I'm tired of those getting services FAR below the true cost of those services turning around and complaining when they're asked to bear a bit more of the cost...even though it's still FAR below the actual value of what they receive. I hope I don't have to repeat it.....but I will if you need me to!
And I don't mind fare increases to help with operating costs, but VIA has done very little to improve the system even though they happily raised fares twice and now a third time in the past 5 years (Jan 07, Jan 09, now Jan 12).

And this time around is not just fare increases but elimination of transfers and getting rid of grandpa and grandmas fare discounts. There are many elderly and disabled who will be affected. That's just cruel and unnecessary.
Quote:
Excuse me? "No regard"?!?? Now, THAT, my friend, is not only insulting in the highest, but nothing more than an attempt to somehow attempt to place yourself at some "higher level" - and that's pure BS. No regard, eh? You're right - that service/repair call that I handled personally Saturday for the 80 year-old widow that I reduced the labor call (2.5 hrs on-site, plus the initial site visit) to a single site visit bill, the repair parts that I normally would bill $750 for....to a total bill of $587 - yeah, no regard.... The guy I cut a deal with last week to fix up an old wheelchair for another customer of mine free of charge - no regard. To sit there and let someone such as yourself, who avails themselves of free/discounted/subsidized services by taxpayers such as myself - and then attempts to somehow belittle me - yeah, now THERE I have NO regard.
Huffy, puffy, whoa...calm down. Jeez.

Quote:
Now - if you want to come up with FACTUAL information that supports your claims, I'll not only listen - but I'll join in the fight to rectify the wastage. But to stand back with NO knowledge of the facts at hand, with NO understanding of exactly what's going on - that's nothing more than tossin' handfulls of excrement on your wall, and then complaining about the smell.

So....get the FACTS together, and if they support your position I'm more than happy to join in the fray - but don't expect folks to get all worked up over a bunch of suppositions.
Ive said it before and I'll say it ONE LAST TIME...VIA needs to lead BY EXAMPLE.

Want to raise fares VIA? Keep your costs under control so that drivers are making huge bank...and actually make IMPROVEMENTS IN THE SYSTEM...SO THAT 3 YEARS FROM NOW WHEN THEY REQUEST ANOTHER FARE INCREASE (because you and I know it WILL happen again ) ...then hopefully there is actually SOME improvement in the system....that is, some bus routes NOT as crowded because they put more buses in place during peaktimes, and even some 24-hour bus service for popular routes during the weekdays.

I don't hate VIA....I just don't want them to keep raising fares every 3 to 4 years without doing a damn thing to make San Antonio a better transportation city. It's that simple.

Further, there are thousands of VIA riders who depend on the service and I know they don't mind paying more...but for the third fare increase in five years....they better make sure to LET US KNOW WHY they need it other than "operating costs."

Oh, INTERESTINGLY, I found out that only ONE VIA Board member showed up to the meeting yesterday. Yes, ONLY ONE, and the CEO of VIA wasn't even in attendance. Yeah, they really care about the needs of the community don't they?!

You've had your say, I've had mine. You aren't going to change my mind. I won't change yours.

I think I'll let this be my last post with you.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 08-23-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 PM

If others want to continue to make their voices heard:

You can call the phone number to the secretary of the CEO, Keith Parker, at this number: 210-362-2050.

Goodluck all!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Oh, INTERESTINGLY, I found out that only ONE VIA Board member showed up to the meeting yesterday. Yes, ONLY ONE, and the CEO of VIA wasn't even in attendance. Yeah, they really care about the needs of the community don't they?!
Yeah,that was in the paper. So, you didn't attend and make your voice heard?

No, I didn't go. I don't ride the bus, I don't think a 25 cent increase is excessive, and I wouldn't care if the bus drivers made 200K.

Moving to Dallas anyway. I think DART is probably a better system, but again, I won't use it most likely. I like having a vehicle because I'm a suburb rat.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 AM

160 posts, read 233,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yeah,that was in the paper. So, you didn't attend and make your voice heard?

No, I didn't go. I don't ride the bus, I don't think a 25 cent increase is excessive, and I wouldn't care if the bus drivers made 200K.

Moving to Dallas anyway. I think DART is probably a better system, but again, I won't use it most likely. I like having a vehicle because I'm a suburb rat.
Sapphire- You're finally out of that cesspool of a city. Good for you and good luck!!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
Sapphire- You're finally out of that cesspool of a city. Good for you and good luck!!
Thanks......but Dallas, well, there are pros and cons. I'll leave it at that. Looking forward to the change!!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:19 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Ive said it before and I'll say it ONE LAST TIME...VIA needs to lead BY EXAMPLE.
no, actually, they dont. they have a business to run and you dont understand that.

until you do, nothing more should be said to you.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
no, actually, they dont. they have a business to run and you dont understand that.

until you do, nothing more should be said to you.
Yeah a business to run with excessive overtime and no improvements in the system?! Yeah let's just let everyone go hogwild why don't we?!

Like I wrote on here to YOU before, ask any busrider whether they think YOUR assertions of "improvements" (a little bus shlelter, a few lights here and there) are significant....I GUARANTEE 99.99% of busriders will side with me.

Just because people have a business "to run" doesn't give them an excuse to raise fares at will every few years, especially if they are not providing some type of detailed analysis on WHY they really need to do so.

How do I know there was only one VIA Board member in attendance? IT WAS IN THE EXPRESS NEWSPAPER! Unless you think the San Antonio Express News is "fabricating" information....I'll believe them, thank you.

By your logic, I'll say to you: you don't even ride the bus so "until you do, nothing more should be said to you" likewise. See how dumb that sounds?!

I don't have to have my own business to know what I see, thank you.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Yeah
thats all you had to say.

glad we agree finally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio