Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,588 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to San Antonio in September. We are early 30's and have no kids or even plans for them in the near future. Looking for a neighborhood were we can rent/buy a house but still be close to some restaurants, bars and some semblance of action. I will be working North of the city right off the outer beltway. Can anyone weigh in on where to land? Thanks, all. T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 PM

229 posts, read 670,904 times
Price range might help to narrow it down for you.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 AM

584 posts, read 1,190,298 times
I like Canyon Springs which is where I live. Love the community I am in. My husband and I are a bit older but also do not have children but of course there are plenty of young families in our neighborhood. We are very close to grocery store, shopping (Target, White House/Black Market, etc.), movies and lots of great restaurants/bars (Wild Fish, Roaring Fork, BJs, Copa Wine Bar, Trilogy Pizza, etc.). It is a great community area if you like to get out and be active. You will always see people running in the neighborhood. If you are looking for a great fitness center we have Lifetime Fitness and Spectrum. I go to Lifetime and love it and have heard great things about Spectrum also.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,263,949 times
I agree the Canyon Springs/Stone Oak/Encino Park (281/1604) area is a great area especially if you plan on kids. The public schools are great, private schools are easy to get to, and it's got lots of preschools. Shopping and restraunts are everywhere. Of course alot depends on where exactly outside LOOP 1604 (we don't call them beltways here) you will be working. If you are out toward 35 or 10 you will have to consider your commute to those areas. It depends on what is important for your lifestyle. We have neighbors that drive way over to Lackland because they want to live out here but there are nice areas all along the northside.

As to pricing, it is not as expensive to live in parts of this area as many believe. My friend just put their 2000 sq ft house on the market for $169K. I've seen smaller houses in the $150K range. Rent is fairly high for San Antonio. We rented when we moved back and are paying just over $1400 but we're getting what we paid for in a house that wasn't cleaned, painted or repaired before we moved in and a mangement company that apparently doesn't think A/C is important. I do not think that is the norm out here though so I wouldn't worry. There is a really nice house up the street from us for rent by owner at $1550--I'd guess 2200-2400 sq ft with a decent size treed lot. Rents probably range around $1600-2500. Depending on where you moved from the quality of the homes in SA may surprise you. We spent $50K more on a house in NC without a speck of brick/rock/stucco where here it is unusual to see a house without it.

I should note--if you WANT to spend $500k-$1 mil out here you certainly can find it, housing ranges from solidly middle-class to one that looks like a 5 Star Resort overlooking Canyon Gulf Rd, at least I think it's a house.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 AM

Default Thanks Folks, some more info

I will be working near the 1604 loop and 10 so needs to be within about 15-20 drive from there at most. If we rent we can pay up to $2k per month. Canyon Springs still seem like the popular opinion?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Default Difference between inside the loop and outside the loop

is there a big price / traffic distance between living inside the loop as opposed to ouside the loop?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 PM

584 posts, read 1,190,298 times
If you will be working at 1604/I-10 your traffic will be on 1604 for the most part depending on the hours you will be working. Also if you decide on Canyon Springs community that commute to get to 1604 is longer then say if you live in Stone Oak communities or even better yet would be Rogers Ranch Community since that is right off of 1604 but still close to all the great shopping, restaurants, etc.

As I stated before I live in Canyon Springs and I work at USAA so my commute is like 19 miles. I come to work early so really don't have traffic then and get here in about 25 minutes (have some lights). Going home from work at about 4 PM the commute can be about 45 minutes at times due to traffic. I don't consider it too bad but then again I am from the MD/DC area so commuting was a part of life and this doesn't even compare. My husband also works down at Lackland AFB and makes the longer commute but we would rather live where we like to play. All a personal preference.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:08 PM

824 posts, read 1,812,008 times
First, welcome to SA. We're in the same boat: 30s, married, like to have fun (independent restaurants/bars, live music, galleries/museums, urban parks, cultural events, etc.)

Canyon Springs or anything outside 1604 is going to be pure suburbia. If you're into that sort of thing, that ought to suit you fine. But it's no better or worse than the suburban areas in every sunbelt city.

We live in Monte Vista, 1.5 miles north of downtown. Beautiful historic architecture, close to everything that I mentioned above (but including the Farmer's Market and Central Market, the best grocer in Texas). And virtually no traffic. Other similar great neighborhoods near the city center to explore: King William, Lavaca (they're sometimes referred to collectively as "Southtown"), Mahncke Park, Tobin Hill, Alta Vista, Alamo Heights, Olmos Park.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer. Either way, welcome!

Old 08-16-2011, 04:21 PM

271 posts, read 984,944 times
I should note--if you WANT to spend $500k-$1 mil out here you certainly can find it, housing ranges from solidly middle-class to one that looks like a 5 Star Resort overlooking Canyon Gulf Rd, at least I think it's a house.[/quote]

Yes, It is a house.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
First, welcome to SA. We're in the same boat: 30s, married, like to have fun (independent restaurants/bars, live music, galleries/museums, urban parks, cultural events, etc.)

Canyon Springs or anything outside 1604 is going to be pure suburbia. If you're into that sort of thing, that ought to suit you fine. But it's no better or worse than the suburban areas in every sunbelt city.

We live in Monte Vista, 1.5 miles north of downtown. Beautiful historic architecture, close to everything that I mentioned above (but including the Farmer's Market and Central Market, the best grocer in Texas). And virtually no traffic. Other similar great neighborhoods near the city center to explore: King William, Lavaca (they're sometimes referred to collectively as "Southtown"), Mahncke Park, Tobin Hill, Alta Vista, Alamo Heights, Olmos Park.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer. Either way, welcome!
That sounds exactly like what we are looking for. I will be working at the Rim near the 10 / 1604, is that going to be too much of a hike from Monte Vista / other areas you listed? I was thinking i would probably have to be further out between to two loops. Thoughts on any area's between the loops or can is the commute not toooooo bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio