Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,649 times

Advertisements

My daughter attended an accredited private school for pre-k and kinder. She graduated and was promoted to the first grade. However when I went to enroll her in first grade in a public school the principal was not up to date with the current policy and gave me a policy page that was 3 years old. Which required her to take a TEKS test that had to be ordered. So I was told to enroll her back in Kinder until the test came in and this is a 50 question test that usually takes 2 hours to complete. It's a very rigorous test for a 6 year old, she got overwhelmed and just starting answering the question without thinking about it according to the administrator.

After doing some research and making some phone calls, I was informed by the TEA (Texas Education Agency) that she should have never had to take a test and that I had the right to enroll her in first grade in the beginning. I forwarded the email to the principal and she still refuses to do anything about the situation.

At first I didn't mind her having to take kinder over again but then she started to say she doesn't like school because it was boring. This was the first time I've ever heard this from her. She had always loved school and this just broke my heart.

In addition, I'm now having extreme behavior problems. This has damaged her emotionally, socially, and academically. I just got her TPRI results and she is regressing and has become discourage. I have already had two meeting with the principal and I have another one coming up this Thursday.

I would be grateful to get any advice, helpful suggestions or alternative options?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,946,932 times
Take your TEA recommendation to the district level. The principal isn't the final authority in all matters. Your school board representative will probably know who to recommend you speak with.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,564,346 times
North East Independent School District

Old 01-28-2014, 08:34 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,516,443 times
I would start with pupil personnel:

They are the place to start when you enroll a student. If they cannot help you, they can refer you to the person who can.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,946,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
That's aiming a little too high for the OP's next step. At that level, they've got hundreds of people working under them and have little interaction with individual cases. It's like seeking help from Steve Ballmer when your Windows computer crashes.

The OP needs someone who grasps the details of the TEA letter. pobre's got the right idea.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM

Start with Donna Newman.
If not happy look into grievance options.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 PM

Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,429,066 times
Is there any worry that it's too late to change this now? At this point, if you get her moved to first grade she is half a year behind the other first graders and might not advance enough to make it to second grade.
Then she may be even more discouraged about school and end up in first grade anyway...

Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 AM

702 posts, read 723,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Is there any worry that it's too late to change this now? At this point, if you get her moved to first grade she is half a year behind the other first graders and might not advance enough to make it to second grade.
Then she may be even more discouraged about school and end up in first grade anyway...
I mean she is already emotionally damaged by having to be in Kindergarden again for 6 months, not like it'll get any worse but I am no child psychologist so take this with a grain of salt.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,649 times
Thank you for all your replies. I agree and thinks it's too late for her to be put in first grade and the damage is already done. However this should have never happened! The principal should have been up to date on all policies and regulations. So what am I to do now? I just want my child to be engaged and challenged. I'm working with her teacher so she is getting more advanced work than the rest of the class but there is only so much she can do. Is there any other solutions? Can I request an IEP (individual education plan)? What would you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio