U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 06:39 PM

545 posts, read 2,193,245 times

Advertisements

We love going to Inks Lake State Park up in Burnet. We "discovered" it years ago when Enchanted Rock was closed (too many people in the park).

Has anyone been to Medina River Park down on hwy 16? I heard that they were supposed to have campsites available, but I've never seen anything about it...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,826,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
We love going to Inks Lake State Park up in Burnet. We "discovered" it years ago when Enchanted Rock was closed (too many people in the park).

Has anyone been to Medina River Park down on hwy 16? I heard that they were supposed to have campsites available, but I've never seen anything about it...
I have never heard of Medina River Park. Is it north or south of the town of Bandera?
There is also Lake Medina RV Resort (in Pipe Creek) I don't think they allow tents but they do have cabins you can rent. It is right on the river. you can google it.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:42 AM

14,770 posts, read 32,689,332 times
If you want to head the other way, Palmetto State Park and Lost Pines are really nice and don't usually have the crowds of the lake parks. A little more toward the humid areas of TX, so bring the bug spray.

I have never camped in Lost Maples, but have been there many times during day-trips and it is really pretty.

Pedernales has both 'car' camping and primitive camping. The primitive is above the river plain (for safety), but it is an easy 5 minutes hike and is usually VERY quite (no power/no water/bathrooms are quite a hike).

Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,219,307 times
Default A little further down the road...

...we like to beach camp. So far we've really enjoyed Malaquite Beach at Padre Island, near Corpus. It has both primitive camping (on the beach, no hook-ups, restrooms/showers are quite a trek) and campsites with nearby restrooms and cold showers. Primitive areas are free (but require a permit - also free) and campsites are $8/night. Since it's a National Park, park entrance is $10 for a 7 day pass, or $20 for an annual pass. In case you're interested; http://www.nps.gov/pais/ and http://wildtexas.com/parks/padre.php

Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 AM

178 posts, read 751,228 times
My parents used to take us to Medina Lake of course this was in the late 80's. I've heard Garner State Park is alright.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:15 AM

12,108 posts, read 14,047,455 times
Lake Medina RV resort is where we go. We have been going there ever since they opened and we love it. It's clean and quiet after 10 and no,they do not allow tents but I think It's the best place at the lake.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:08 PM

796 posts, read 2,913,876 times
I will have to "second" Inks Lake SP. That is one of my favorites and it is always clean. It is not uncommon to have a few dear walking through your campsite and other wildlife. You can't feed them, though so they are not agressive towards food, unless you leave them out over night. ;O) There is a nice park store and you can also rent a canoe or paddle boat. If you like to fish you can rent the canoe or fish off of one of 2 lighted piers. There is also a few play grounds and on weekends there is a trailer there that sells breakfast tacos and bbq.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM

545 posts, read 2,193,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
I have never heard of Medina River Park. Is it north or south of the town of Bandera?
It's actually on the south side of San Antonio, out by the Toyota plant.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapar/medinariveropen.asp

I forgot about Garner State Park...we really enjoyed it the one time we went. There are a lot of deer out there, and great vertical hiking!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,144,061 times
Take a short drive to Corpus - check out Mustang Island or the National Seashore. You can drive out on the beach, pick a spot, and camp. Small campfires are permitted, no fees in some places, etc.

Padre Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,144,061 times
To add, I think Texas does a great job taking care of the State Parks here. We recently went to Goose Island SP in rockport and had an awesome time. The restrooms were clean, hot showers, very peaceful. As a matter of fact, we're going back this weekend..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio