Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:11 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,889,926 times

Advertisements

Does anyone think that limiting our water use (keeping the aquifer at such a high level) is justified just to protect species of insects that only live and exist within the aquifer?

Why are these insects so important?

Isn't it more important to water our grass and trees, rather than keep the water levels so high for an environmentally protected creature?

I would rather preserve our trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 PM

5,604 posts, read 6,531,686 times
Isn't SAWS using this same arguement to raise rates beginning in January? There are citizen meetings planned to discuss this, but not matter what, watch them raise our rates regardless.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,627,100 times
no, its not justified. its whack job, liberal hippie environmentalists that are hindering progression with asinine crap like this.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,148,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
its whack job, liberal hippie environmentalists that are hindering progression with asinine crap like this.
AFAIK, there aren't any liberals, conservatives, hippies, yuppies, environmentalists or polluters living deep underground in the aquifer with the snail darters and blind salamanders.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
AFAIK, there aren't any liberals, conservatives, hippies, yuppies, environmentalists or polluters living deep underground in the aquifer with the snail darters and blind salamanders.
too bad

but you get my point, no? its stupid crap like this, protecting some blink skink or river toad, thats hindering progression.

just look at other stuff environmentalists have blocked. specifically oil drilling. they complain and complain about how unsafe it is, how much it damages the environment, etc etc, and they are the first ones to say NO to new RnD when it comes to oil, thus hindering (even further) progression.

im SO glad i dont live in that liberal craphole called austin anymore.

/sorry for the rant.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:52 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,251,378 times
San Antonio is a shining example of water conservation in the United States. SAWS has reported a 67% increase in consumers, but maintains the SAME level of water consumption. That's an incredible accomplishment. Without these conservation measures, we'd wish we were talking about 640 ft above msl aquifer readings in this drought. It's not just about the endangered species, it's about sustainability.

Name one rational and selfless argument for wasting water when we're outpacing our driest year on record by over an inch.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:33 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,410,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
no, its not justified. its whack job, liberal hippie environmentalists that are hindering progression with asinine crap like this.
I'm a liberal (in case other people than you don't know) and I could care less about these "endangered species." If it were up to me, they would have been dead already because city drinking-water is more important to me than some salamanders.

Politicizing this particular thing as "liberal hippie environmentalists" is just ignorant. Plain and simple.

BTW, drilling on US sea/land...isn't going to do a dang thing to stop the pollution that we continue to spew out everyday with the millions and millions of vehicles in this country.

Moving to solar/wind and other alternative ways (other than oil), WILL ensure cleaner air for all of us to breathe. We only have one planet, ya' know.

I wouldn't be so ignorant to suggest conservatives don't mind polluting the air for every citizen on this planet, and that they only want to 'drill baby drill' and not go for solar/wind energy...but saying something like that would be incorrectly ignorant.

Not all people believe we should drill our way into oblivion, conservative or liberal.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:10 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,594,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
San Antonio is a shining example of water conservation in the United States. SAWS has reported a 67% increase in consumers, but maintains the SAME level of water consumption. That's an incredible accomplishment. Without these conservation measures, we'd wish we were talking about 640 ft above msl aquifer readings in this drought. It's not just about the endangered species, it's about sustainability.

Name one rational and selfless argument for wasting water when we're outpacing our driest year on record by over an inch.
Wow, just imagine if would have kept the increase in consumers down to something reasonable like 10-15% and practiced the same conservation measures. We could have skated through this drought much more easily. And a lot less of the recharge zone would be covered in asphalt.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,426,689 times
I'm all for conservation of water, but really, if SA had had it's sh** in one sock years ago, we wouldn't have this bad an issue.

It is really sad to see these big ol' oaks dying. I really just noticed it a few weeks ago. All it's gonna take is some strong winds like we get, and a really good soaking, and they're going to topple over on cars, homes, and people. Maybe some salamanders and toads, too.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I'm a liberal (in case other people than you don't know) and I could care less about these "endangered species." If it were up to me, they would have been dead already because city drinking-water is more important to me than some salamanders.
i wish more of your liberal brethern would think like you do.

Quote:
Politicizing this particular thing as "liberal hippie environmentalists" is just ignorant. Plain and simple.
no, its not. they are the leading cause of denying progression. they stand in the way of progress every chance they get when some stupid species of blind insect is threatened, or when some stretch of land might be tainted with an oil derrek.

Quote:
BTW, drilling on US sea/land...isn't going to do a dang thing to stop the pollution that we continue to spew out everyday with the millions and millions of vehicles in this country.
...which might not be the case IF environmentalists would get out of the way of research and development for new technologies in regards to oil drilling, processing/refining and selling. but no, every time someone wants to try out new, possibly cleaner methods, environmentalists are right there, lockstep saying NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

re: cars

hybrids and other clean tech are WASTE. hear me? WASTE. there are cars that already get 50mpg without the use of hybrid technology that run on pump gas/diesel. why not focus on cleaning up existing tech that already achieves great mpg?

nope.

big auto wants to sell you something you dont need.

Quote:
Moving to solar/wind and other alternative ways (other than oil), WILL ensure cleaner air for all of us to breathe. We only have one planet, ya' know.
nuclear would be a better option, but i do agree we need to supplement our oil usage with other forms of energy

Quote:
I wouldn't be so ignorant to suggest conservatives don't mind polluting the air for every citizen on this planet, and that they only want to 'drill baby drill' and not go for solar/wind energy...but saying something like that would be incorrectly ignorant.
the way you word it makes it sound like conservatives want to rape the land and say eff the consequences. couldnt be farther from the truth. we (im a former conservative, now independent who leans right) want to reduce our dependency on foreign oil. drilling locally makes sense. no one is advocating the destruction of land, like many liberals and environmentalists think.

Quote:
Not all people believe we should drill our way into oblivion, conservative or liberal.
wanting to drill locally = / = drilling into oblivion. this is an assumption that is told as truth by the left and is another lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio