Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:59 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times

Advertisements

That is theft of service. It is just as bad a crime as shoplifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:13 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
We never know what we are going to see when we go to the movies. We are in a different time warp. Popcorn and a large Coke is our meal for the day. Why is it that the crash and grab punks take ATM machines but never the RED BOX!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 PM

502 posts, read 934,430 times
Lol how can you complain? YOU BROKE THE LAW! You should be thankful that high school kid was nice enough to let you go and not call the cop on your ass.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:38 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
Lol how can you complain? YOU BROKE THE LAW! You should be thankful that high school kid was nice enough to let you go and not call the cop on your ass.
Right? As others have said, justify it however you want, OP, it's still stealing.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I knew that there would be at least one response like yours. I do think that theaters are huge ripoffs and am fortunate that I rarely see many movies at theaters.
Then don't go to the movies then.

Like others have said, you can justify it or rationalize it any way you like. It is stealing. Every time I have been to the Drafthouse, they have checked my tickets, and honestly I am thankful for that. Why should I have to buy a ticket and they guy in back doesn't? I know movies are expensive, as well as the food. That's why I don't go a lot. When I choose to go to the movies, I go to the Drafthouse.

There was a thread on one of the other boards here about movie theaters. The profit margins are pretty slim on them, and they use the food and drinks to make up for it. Frankly, the Drafthouse's prices are actually pretty reasonable, especially for the Alcohol. It's no more than it is if I went to a local bar. You can get a really good pizza and two beers for 20 bucks, that is not a bad deal at all.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:41 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Then don't go to the movies then.

Like others have said, you can justify it or rationalize it any way you like. It is stealing. Every time I have been to the Drafthouse, they have checked my tickets, and honestly I am thankful for that. Why should I have to buy a ticket and they guy in back doesn't? I know movies are expensive, as well as the food. That's why I don't go a lot. When I choose to go to the movies, I go to the Drafthouse.

There was a thread on one of the other boards here about movie theaters. The profit margins are pretty slim on them, and they use the food and drinks to make up for it. Frankly, the Drafthouse's prices are actually pretty reasonable, especially for the Alcohol. It's no more than it is if I went to a local bar. You can get a really good pizza and two beers for 20 bucks, that is not a bad deal at all.
I actually did pay to see a movie in the Drafthouse (rather someone paid for me), but I just wanted to see "the Help" instead of the movie selected for me. I could've argued it, but it might have caused embarrassment and I had a headache. So, I wasn't viewing the movie without paying. Is it possible for a person to go eat in the Drafthouse lobby or bar and then "sneak" into the theater? Maybe that's why they're so gestapo about it all. In other theaters, you MUST purchase a ticket to gain entry. Is it different here at Drafthouse?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:31 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I took my kids to see RIO awhile back at the Mayan and realized that I wasnt paying attention and asked for a completely different movie! I forget what it was, and it wasnt until I was in the actual theater that I realized my stupid mistake. All I did was go to the guest services area and ask to switch out the tickets, since RIO wasnt full they were able to accomodate me.

Maybe the Drafthouse would have done the same for you? I worked in a theater when I was in HS and we had to check tickets from time to time, particularly if it was a popular movie because people would sneak in, take up seats that were paid for, chaos often ensued and fire codes were violated. I witnessed this several times, during the first Harry Potter - it was tragic!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:48 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I knew that there would be at least one response like yours. I do think that theaters are huge ripoffs and am fortunate that I rarely see many movies at theaters.
what you think is irrelevant. you broke the law and were subsequently caught. they make previews for those movies for a reason.

is it really hard to write (or make a mental note) of said movie, go home, google it and watch the preview for it?

/youre lucky they didnt call the police.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:50 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
what you think is irrelevant. you broke the law and were subsequently caught. they make previews for those movies for a reason.

is it really hard to write (or make a mental note) of said movie, go home, google it and watch the preview for it?

/youre lucky they didnt call the police.

Lucky that they didn't call the police? Why not put me in prison for life too while they're at it.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 AM

33 posts, read 86,795 times
It's called Theft of Service, it’s like saying...I pay for Direct TV and now I have the right to steal Time Warner Cable from my neighbor's house. 80% of Theater’s revenue come from the concession stands, and not the movies. If you wanted to see the Help (It is a good movie) you should have paid for it. Your ticket is not good for all movies. I don't see your argument here, other than being cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio