Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times

Advertisements

I think it is a great think for the city and the college. And now if we can get all the UTSA graduates to stop putting Longhorn & Texas Exs stickers on the back of the cars...that will be even better.
I cant tell you how many people I have encountered in the course of business over the years that graduated from UTSA and tell everyone they graduated from "UT"....dropping the "SA" at the end is a big difference, pal.
I have about 5 cousins that tell everyone they are "Longhorns" and have longhorn stickers on their cars and they all went to UTSA, and 2 didnt even graduate!

It is time UTSA had its own identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 PM

715 posts, read 1,356,705 times
Amen to above post!!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 PM

161 posts, read 330,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DManXXXII View Post
The name of the Game is NFL, and San Antonio CAN NOT support a team.
I hope UTSA does good, but is not the same. People want to see OU, UT, Notre Dame, LSU, Oregon, etc, etc. and none of those teams play in the SouthLand Conference.
UTSA plays a full WAC schedule next season and begin playing the Big-12, Pac-12, ACC and Conference USA teams in 2013 and beyond. People will get behind the team, especially when the Oklahoma States of the collegiate football world make the trip to the dome.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 PM

392 posts, read 749,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsofa04 View Post
UTSA plays a full WAC schedule next season and begin playing the Big-12, Pac-12, ACC and Conference USA teams in 2013 and beyond. People will get behind the team, especially when the Oklahoma States of the collegiate football world make the trip to the dome.
Get ready to be crushed by my Louisiana Tech Bulldogs!!! I still drive to Ruston, LA for all our home games, 'cause I'm nuts. Anyway, I do hope you guys can build something great here. You will ALWAYS face the idiot bandwagon UT/A&M fans, just like LaTech has had to deal with the moron LSUseless fans in Louisiana forever. Don't let it get you down though, and just build and build! You could be the next South Florida or maybe Boise State, who knows?!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM

65 posts, read 136,219 times
Default attendance info

From the UTSA Notebook on mysanantonio.com:

Coker and school officials continue to be thrilled with attendance at the Alamodome.
Considering it’s their first year, take the Roadrunners’ 40,631 average with a grain of salt. But I can guarantee athletic director Lynn Hickey would gladly have taken even half that before the year started, back when UTSA’s maiden voyage into football was still entirely an unknown.

To put it into perspective, that figure would rate UTSA almost smack in the middle of the 124-member FBS, at No. 63 — ahead of such programs as Boston College, Boise State and TCU, and virtually double all six of its future rivals in the Western Athletic Conference.

Among FCS schools, of which UTSA is an independent member until next year’s move to the WAC, the Roadrunners are roughly 15,000 ahead national leader Appalachian State.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 PM

161 posts, read 330,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Get ready to be crushed by my Louisiana Tech Bulldogs!!! I still drive to Ruston, LA for all our home games, 'cause I'm nuts. Anyway, I do hope you guys can build something great here. You will ALWAYS face the idiot bandwagon UT/A&M fans, just like LaTech has had to deal with the moron LSUseless fans in Louisiana forever. Don't let it get you down though, and just build and build! You could be the next South Florida or maybe Boise State, who knows?!
I can't wait to see the young UTSA progress. There will be some bumps and bruises along the way, but eventually this young team will grow up....and we can expect an excited and highly talented team representing San Antonio. Hope we can give a very athletic LA Tech school a run for their money....for many seasons! Cheers!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 AM

18 posts, read 26,300 times
we suffer a lot of heart breaking losses but you can definitely see potential in these 18 and 19 year old kids going against grown men

Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,478 times
I went to the game against South Alabama Saturday and had a terrific time. What a wonderful experience it is to attend one of these UTSA games at the Dome. I had no idea that 30,000+ screaming fans could make so much noise. And even though the Roadrunners blew it in the end this program is going nowhere but up in the future.

As the players begin to mature and become better at the craft of football the team will become more and more formidable over time. And with this maturity will come the wins. The future is truly golden for UTSA Football.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Finally made it to a UTSA football game for the first time today. I had good seats in the corner of one of the endzones, about 3 rows up from the field. And I have to say that I was really, truly underwhelmed by the experience.

This was a game that UTSA trailed early in and had given up 5 touchdowns by the end of the 1st quarter. The air was taken out of the crowd early. It was clear early on that this was not a game they were destined to win, but this is also a team that has won more games than it has lost, so it should have been more supportive.

There were 3 clusters of cheerleaders around the stadium. The cluster near us rarely cheered! They mostly stood faced the crowd with their hands behind their backs and chatted with each other.

The band was seated about 2 sections away from where I was sitting and on the few occasions they played, the acoustics were so bad that they were a barely audible jumble of noise! When they walked by us with their instruments, they looked like a sad, unenthusiastic bunch of people in matching uniforms who had been assigned to pick up litter on the highway.

Rowdy the mascot was there. He shot a few t-shirts into the crowd with his cannon. And made a few gestures of frustration when the other team scorder, but he didn't add much to the gametime experience.

The climate control in the Alamodome is horribly uneven. There were places on the concourse where the temperature felt like it was around 70. And there were places where it felt like it was around 95. Didn't seem to be affected by the number of people in those areas or by whether doors were open nearby.

I've seen oodles more pageantry and enthusiasm at high school games around here. This was just not an exciting gameday experience. I expected more from San Antonio's only FBS college football program.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,301 times
"but this is also a team that has won more games than it has lost"

Those victories were against some terrible teams. New Mexico St. might be the only recognizable D1 program and they are awful and have been awful for years. Their other wins were against the likes of South Alabama, Texas A&M-Commerce, Georgia State, and Northwestern Oklahoma State. It is safe to say they will lose out against their conference opponents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio