Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedCoffee View Post
I was somewhat amazed and saddened to see the behavior of the students. There was a wall of uniformed police officers staring them down standing at about 10' intervals along the wall. What kind of person sees that and decides that their 'school spirit' gives them the right to do as they feel without consequences?

Also, I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been for the police officers to be staring down the massive crowd of students. I'm impressed that the police force wasn't more aggresive out of fear of a total loss of crowd control. It seems as if they were acting as trained and that they planned for this contingency. As others have mentioned, this could have become dangerous very quickly.

I was surprised that more students weren't arrested - especially since there were far more than 8 officers on the field.
I am surprised the UTSA fans didn't riot when the police were trying to control the situation. If that had happened, then it would have been a major buzzkill to UTSA's first win and an embrassement to UTSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM

76 posts, read 169,197 times
Poor planning by UTSA officials is to blame. College fans rush the field, everyone knows that. Was it a championship, no, but it was the first game ever and the Roadrunners dominated. Did they really think they could announce "do not rush the field" and be done with it. They should have been funneling fans towards the field through a few controlled gates. Any fools jumping over anywhere else would have deserved to be arrested.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:50 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Of COURSE it is - blame ANYONE but the foolish, childish, self-centered IDIOTS that actually RUSHED the field! Maybe we should be abusing the vast majority of the more mature, self-controlled, LAW ABIDING types that DID obey the rules?

give me a break..........

Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,503 times
that's garbage. if that were the case this thread would be "police were heavy handed in containing students like a bunch of wild animals in capable of self restraint". those who initiated rushing the field made that choice. i'm hoping now the students of utsa will conduct themselves better in the future. i understand it was very exciting and i applaud their spirit, but rushing the field is not to be excused or ignored.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:11 PM

89 posts, read 148,197 times
police did what they had to. IF NOT you entice the people there with the not-so-happy/fun agendas to say "if they can get away with that, we can get away with more".

"merely trying to have a good time" Some in the crowd definition of that varies

Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 PM

89 posts, read 148,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I am surprised the UTSA fans didn't riot when the police were trying to control the situation. If that had happened, then it would have been a major buzzkill to UTSA's first win and an embrassement to UTSA.
\

Why were you surprised? weve won NBA titles and no riots happend there.
We are a good community. I lived in LA for two of there championship years....RIOTs and looting.

UTSA is a reflection of the San Antonio mindset of PARTYING not LOW CLASS RIOTS despite having alot of transfer students. EITHER that or we are just too lazy to riot!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:06 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungemini View Post
\

Why were you surprised? weve won NBA titles and no riots happend there.
We are a good community. I lived in LA for two of there championship years....RIOTs and looting.

UTSA is a reflection of the San Antonio mindset of PARTYING not LOW CLASS RIOTS despite having alot of transfer students. EITHER that or we are just too lazy to riot!
Years ago when I lived in Waco. I actually witnessed a riot between Baylor University police and Baylor students when a party was being broken up. A paddy wagon was called in. It was wild.

These were rich kids from wealthy families acting like total idiots.

I honestly think students are more prone to rioting if they see one of their own being mistreated and that could have happened at the game.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,590 times
personally I think it sent a signal stating, this will not be tolerated at every game. hopefully it worked. yes it's fun, but come on...

can you imagine if fans rushed the courts on every spurs game?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_91 View Post
Poor planning by UTSA officials is to blame.
Ahhh... it's so easy to blame administration! Another typical day in the life at UTSA....

Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
IMO, an issue is that the SAPD probably handled this more... um, directly than the UTSA PD would have. The Alamodome is owned by the city, so unless some arrangement can be made to give UTSA jurisdiction over their game venue, expect that the city employees will continue to protect city property rather firmly.

I wonder if this difference in enforcement styles will ultimately be pointed to by UTSA as a reason that their team needs to be in its own facility sooner, rather than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio