Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,401 times

Advertisements

Fair Oaks fire, as it is being called, is contained, power for FOR is back on and people are returning home.

This time we actually evacuated. The fire was much worse than yesterday - they evacuated the kids in after school care after the school was threatened (came within a half mile). Unverified reports that the fire briefly jumped Ralph Fair Road but was quickly contained. The smoke and flames were huge for awhile. Very scary.

oh and poopycat, I have to laugh at your name - my cat was displeased about being shoved into a carrier, and showed it by pooping and throwing up in said carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
San Antonio is getting so freaky that maybe I should have stayed in Vermont, even with those floods there, here it's one fire after another plus the rattlesnakes.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 PM

500 posts, read 748,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
I did too, LVK. Did you pack a bag? I was organizing stuff...dog leash, cat kennel... was so hard to be without info while the power was out!
We didn't pack a bag yesterday but we did today. It was nerve-racking to say the least since this fire was much bigger than yesterday's. I've never been that close to the flames before, could see them from my house. You're right, it's terrible to not have info. My car battery died from listening to the radio. Had to unpack that car and load the other(!) Then the Command post was across from our house so we sat there for a while, then came home.

I could not believe how quickly they contained the fire. We must have some amazing firefighters because they really responded quickly and got things under control. It really looked touch and go there for awhile. They said on the news they will water the area for three days to prevent a flare up. Hope so. And to cap it off, just had a lively scorpion show up and head for my daughter's room. I cannot sleep! Just glad everyone is safe tonight.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 AM

65 posts, read 116,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
San Antonio is getting so freaky that maybe I should have stayed in Vermont, even with those floods there, here it's one fire after another plus the rattlesnakes.
zhugeliang, so far, Wildfires are the only natural disaster we have had to contend with (ok...Drought too, but that's new to most Texans since 1957). I agree with you on all manner of creature though...it's taken a lot for me to get used to too.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 973 times
Default San Antonio for the weekend?

Hello I am working in Beaumont texas and was thinking about going to visit San Antonio this weekend. I was just wondering if it would be ok to visit or if you recommend passing on it. Thanks

Old 09-08-2011, 11:59 AM

San Antonio isn't on fire. Unless you are coming specifically to Camp Bullis, the fires that are active shouldn't affect your plans at all.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
From the front page at KENS5.com

Quote:
Fire spreading through South Bexar County subdivision

Bexar County firefighters are battling a blaze in a South Bexar County neighborhood just west of U.S. 281 near the Atascosa County line. At least three structures at Oak Hill Ranches were reported on fire, according to Bexar County spokeswoman Laura Jesse.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:46 PM

239 posts, read 442,294 times
^^here is the link:

BREAKING: Fire destorys 4 structures in S. Bexar County subdivision | kens5.com San Antonio

Man this is starting to get crazy.....i hope we don't start seeing random wildfires everyday...though it seems like this week that has been the case

Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Quote:
San Antonio isn't on fire.
It isn't? I freaked after smelling burnt toast in the employee coffee break room today.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Well, compared to Bastrop it isn't on fire. And someone considering staying away from the whole city seemed a bit of an overreach.

And I'm typing this while listening to the water helicopters fly overhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio