Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times

Advertisements

The people you see are members of the USAF, USA, USMC, and USN that decided to risk life and limb and help people save their vehicles. The water rose approx 2 feet in about 2 hours. It's hard to tell how much money these servicemen helped people to save, but I would estimate about 30 cars were moved, which means 30 cars that have slight water damage instead of being swept through the parking lot hitting other cars and becoming total losses.

I think they are being praised rather than criticized. I think they may have been hamming it up for the camera, but they were actually doing a great thing. I don't think there's gonna be any "ass-chewing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 08:19 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,078 times
From what my husband heard, these people were out there trying to get as many cars out of that area as possible and before they knew it the water had risen. It came on sooo quickly. So I don't think any butt-chewings will take place. My guess since I work for the military is they may remind folks of ORM, but that's it.

Tiffany

Old 08-18-2007, 11:15 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
a little bit of insanity is expected from anyone working for NSA...

I can't imagine any of them getting in trouble for being in the pictures and "relaxing" a little for the camera. When I worked over there we were all pretty close to each other as we were the only ones out there and the only ones that could go out there.

I'm still surprised they didn't release people earlier. That river is right next to the parking lot and minor flooding is always an issue. I haven't ever seen it that bad before, but I heard from someone I used to work for that the flood of 1998 took cars out of the parking lot and hung them up in trees downstream. The guy that told me this story may have been spicing it up a little, but I do know that river can get intense and I've personally seen it go up and over the bridge right before the NSA Texas parking lots..

BTW, sure are a lot of people here from AIA (AFISRA) and NSA Texas

Old 08-18-2007, 05:30 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The people you see are members of the USAF, USA, USMC, and USN that decided to risk life and limb and help people save their vehicles. The water rose approx 2 feet in about 2 hours. It's hard to tell how much money these servicemen helped people to save, but I would estimate about 30 cars were moved, which means 30 cars that have slight water damage instead of being swept through the parking lot hitting other cars and becoming total losses.

I think they are being praised rather than criticized. I think they may have been hamming it up for the camera, but they were actually doing a great thing. I don't think there's gonna be any "ass-chewing."
I have to disagree. As a retired AF SNCO, I would be on the people who were swimming around and hamming it up. What kind of message are we sending to the people of San Antonio? That it's OK to swim around in fast moving water? Civilians would get a ticket/fine for doing this. Too many people have drowned during flooding and the military must set good examples! Cars are insured, is it worth risking a life, unless you're actually trying to save a person and not a car?

Old 08-18-2007, 06:12 PM

30 posts, read 134,961 times
On their defense... and only from what I've heard because I was not there. People that were there said that while they were helping people with their vehicles, the water rose so fast that it may appear they are just swimming around in the floodwaters but in fact are actually swimming to higher ground after the water rose to their chests and over their heads.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:25 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I have to disagree. As a retired AF SNCO, I would be on the people who were swimming around and hamming it up. What kind of message are we sending to the people of San Antonio? That it's OK to swim around in fast moving water? Civilians would get a ticket/fine for doing this. Too many people have drowned during flooding and the military must set good examples! Cars are insured, is it worth risking a life, unless you're actually trying to save a person and not a car?
Easy, there, big guy. This was all posted out there on the www by a MILITARY person. The water does not appear to be "fast-moving". If it was my vehicle they were attempting to save, they would be my hero. And obviously some of the civilians of San Antonio have NOT gotten the message based on the number of high-water rescues each and every time it rains for any length of time. I don't think these few airmen contributed to or took away from those scenarios by their example. It was 8 inches of rain within a 2 hour period, and that is a pretty rare occurence, so they probably won't be making a habit of it.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:45 PM

6 posts, read 17,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post

I just need to say something here. There were many many SNCOs around while this was happening.

Also- These guys in this shot had just finished pushing a lot of cars out of the parking lot, we weren't even aware that the water was rising so fast, and the ONLY reason I had time to take a break and get this shot that everyone is so worried about is because we had realized it was getting so high. I had to move my car, they were walking towards the road, saw the camera, and my friend, who I had joked about getting a picture of us swimming earlier while pushing a SUV flooded with water out of a parking lot, saw the opportunity to get the shot we had talked about.

And yes- Insurance is great, but what about for a friend of mine who had her car sold, and was delivering it to a guy on Saturday, people were depending on that car. How about people that needed a car for whatever reason that night, or on Friday, maybe to go and buy food? I'm not trying to fight or anything, but there are different reasons some might want their car saved.

I know one guy who had a car that was his baby and he had to leave it because he got out there late. I don't think it would have mattered to him if there was just a little water damage, he would rather have that car for a sentimental reason. Anyways, I've seen a lot of traffic from this site over to there, and wanted to let you know the REAL story behind that picture, and maybe a little more insight behind why someone would do this kind of thing.

Not to mention service before self.

Fizzy

Motoville.org

Old 08-19-2007, 10:54 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Nothing like getting the story straight from the horses mouth, thanks for the details.

Hopefully people are claiming this against the government. I know you can, but it is a hassle. I had a tree fall on my car in Navy housing in San Diego. I had to file through legal to get my deductible paid back and it wasn't very fast, but I did get it. I believe the insurance company also put in a claim against the government, which is good, because my rates didn't go up. The damage from the tree ended up being $8K and I'm thinking a car that went for a swim would probably be quite a bit also.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 17,478 times
Yeah, there is actually a big briefing about the gov't paying for stuff on Monday. From what I understand it'll be @ 1100 in the Air Force Conference Room. I'm sure that we will all be told via official channels tomorrow.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:34 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Easy, there, big guy. This was all posted out there on the www by a MILITARY person. The water does not appear to be "fast-moving". If it was my vehicle they were attempting to save, they would be my hero. And obviously some of the civilians of San Antonio have NOT gotten the message based on the number of high-water rescues each and every time it rains for any length of time. I don't think these few airmen contributed to or took away from those scenarios by their example. It was 8 inches of rain within a 2 hour period, and that is a pretty rare occurence, so they probably won't be making a habit of it.
Yes, it was posted by a military member; however, the post was now put onto a civilian forum for all to see. As for fast moving, we must be looking at different pictures. If the current is strong enough to move a large SUV on top of another car, then it is too dangerous to go into. Also, heavy downpours can cause flash flooding that you may not be aware of, until it is too late. Yes, many San Antonio people do not get the message; however, every military person is taught SAFETY from day one and throughout their career. This is not meant to distract people from helping others, but rather to think twice before risking your life for a material object. Objects can be replaced, people can not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio